Dene

Default Newbie Question: 40' Performance Cruiser question (including powerplant)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Gas engines can be almost as safe as diesel if they are properly
maintained and operated. In my opinion that should not be the deciding
factor. The real issues are power, torque, range and economy. There
is a break point somewhere around 12 to 15,000 pounds of boat weight
where gas engines will not develop sufficient power for decent,
economical performance.

The HP numbers are deceptive, but the bottom line is that you can not
run a gas engine at more than about 50% of its rated horsepower without
seriously compromising durability/longevity. Diesels however routinely
cruise at 80 to 85% of maximum horsepower and use about half as much
fuel.

Hmmm.....the 6400 lb displacement, 27' cruiser I'm considering is powered by
a single 250 hp gas engine. Would you say that it is underpowered?

-Greg