*JimH*

Default Fuel Perks anyone?

Does anyone else have a Giant Eagle grocery store by them with a "Fuel
Perks" program? If not, does any other store in your area offer a similar
program?

Details: http://tinyurl.com/85lgc

Summary of program: For every $50 in groceries you get $0.10 off a gallon
of gas. You can use it incrementally (the slate starts at zero every time
you use it) or wait till it reaches the value of the current price of
gas/gallon at their pump, effectively receiving a free full tank of gas, up
to 30 gallons.

Our Giant Eagle recently started the program this summer. We have filled
up my wife's Highlander once (along with three 5 gallon gas cans) and we are
once again at the free gas status. ;-)

Quite a money saver, especially if one trailers a boat or has a gas guzzling
SUV/Pickup that pulls a boat.

Dan J.S.

" *JimH*" wrote in message
Does anyone else have a Giant Eagle grocery store by them with a "Fuel
Perks" program? If not, does any other store in your area offer a similar
program?

Details: http://tinyurl.com/85lgc

Summary of program: For every $50 in groceries you get $0.10 off a gallon
of gas. You can use it incrementally (the slate starts at zero every time
you use it) or wait till it reaches the value of the current price of
gas/gallon at their pump, effectively receiving a free full tank of gas,
up to 30 gallons.

Our Giant Eagle recently started the program this summer. We have filled
up my wife's Highlander once (along with three 5 gallon gas cans) and we
are once again at the free gas status. ;-)

Quite a money saver, especially if one trailers a boat or has a gas
guzzling SUV/Pickup that pulls a boat.

I shop at a store where margins do not allow for perks like that. But my
grocery bill is almost 40% less than a leading chain for the same exact
items... so for each 100 dollars I spend, I save between 30-50 over the
chain... The chain is all union, so food is marked up.

DSK

*JimH* wrote:

Does anyone else have a Giant Eagle grocery store by them with a "Fuel
Perks" program? If not, does any other store in your area offer a similar
program?

It's not a grocery store, but BP/Amoco offers a Visa card that earns
free gas. This comes in the form of $20 "free gas card" that looks like
a credit card, and works just like one at BP or Amoco stations. Better
than airline miles!

Unfortunately, the credit card company administering the program is a
bit slow. Plus they're not particularl honest. We cancelled ours after
they played "change the due date" to try and nail us for charges about
14 months in a row. That was last year, they may have learned. I'm
tempted to get another of these cards, it's a nice perk (if you don't
have to pay for it by getting jerked around).

Regards
Doug King

*JimH*

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:41:10 -0400, DSK wrote:

*JimH* wrote:

Does anyone else have a Giant Eagle grocery store by them with a "Fuel
Perks" program? If not, does any other store in your area offer a
similar
program?

It's not a grocery store, but BP/Amoco offers a Visa card that earns
free gas. This comes in the form of $20 "free gas card" that looks like
a credit card, and works just like one at BP or Amoco stations. Better
than airline miles!

Unfortunately, the credit card company administering the program is a
bit slow. Plus they're not particularl honest. We cancelled ours after
they played "change the due date" to try and nail us for charges about
14 months in a row. That was last year, they may have learned. I'm
tempted to get another of these cards, it's a nice perk (if you don't
have to pay for it by getting jerked around).

Sorry for posting through you Tom......

We have the same deal with our BP credit card......we earn free gas with our
purchases on the card....so buying at Giant Eagle with our BP credit card is
a win-win.

We pay off our credit card in full every month and regularly receive $75 in
free gas every 2 months. The $25 cards go to my wife, son and daughter.

As I have a company car we rarely now pay for gas. ;-)

*JimH*

*JimH* wrote:

[...]

in free gas every 2 months from the BP card. The $25 cards go to my wife,
son and daughter.

As I have a company car we rarely now pay for gas. ;-)

For the cars that is. The boat is another story. ;-)

trainfan1

*JimH* wrote:
Does anyone else have a Giant Eagle grocery store by them with a "Fuel
Perks" program? If not, does any other store in your area offer a similar
program?

Not a store, but I got Discover Card Platinum to give me a 5% cash back
award for gasoline purchases... or about .14/gallon currently. It's
capped at $1500.00(3-4 months for me) annually, or $75.00/yr cash back.

Amerada Hess has a similar 5% program on their Hess Visa used at Hess...
10% for the first 90 days, awards are good toward gas or merchandise @
Hess. No cap as far as I can tell.

Another bank card(Capital One or Bank One or something like that) has a
5% gas & grocery card w/o caps. If you figure out how to do it right,
you can get the discount/credit applied on any merchandise purchased at
a WalMart supercenter... you have to be sure to check out at a "grocery"
cashier. It takes some trial & error to figure this one out sometimes...

Rob
Dan Krueger

trainfan1 wrote:

*JimH* wrote:

[...]

I just signed up for the Hess (Chase) Visa for my business. Our fuel
bills are over $5,000 per month. Their gas and diesel is cheaper than
the local BP and Mobil before the discounts. There is no cap and the
rebate is credited to the next bill. We'll see if that is really the
case...

Dan
DSK

Unfortunately, the credit card company administering the program is a
bit slow. Plus they're not particularl honest. We cancelled ours after
they played "change the due date" to try and nail us for charges about
14 months in a row. That was last year, they may have learned.

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
FYI: I don't know about your state, but in CT, that is illegal. You
might want to check that out.

Well, it says right in the fine print that they have the right to change
the balance due date.

We pay our credit card(s) balance every month, so charges stand out like
a sore thumb. I never paid them a dime on their bogus charges, nor the
interest on charges after they'd dropped the bogus charges. They
threatened to "ruin my credit rating" but I said, "Does that mean the
other credit card companies will quit sending me pre-approved cards
every week?" They made one enquiry to our bank about payment, but the
advantage of living in a small town is that I know the bank officers. Ha
ha on them.

Anyway, this thread has got me thinking... we may be moving to a multi
tier system of gas pricing, such as we already have for other consumer
commodities. That may make gas at the pump increase faster than it would
otherwise, since only a percent of buyers pay it.

Regards
Doug King

DSK

Starbucker

I have the Citi Cash Dividend and Capitol One Hassel Free, both of them pay
5% on gas and groceries. Definitely a nice perk if you pay the account off
each month. The Citi Card is $150 annually, and 120,000 miles on Capitol
One.

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
ink.net...