JAXAshby

Default Huh? Diesel engines don't last 800 hours before major repairs??

The claim has been made by a poster on this ng who calls himself "steve" that
diesel engines as used on commercial fishing boats are often torn down for a
major overhaul after every trip to sea, about 700+ engine time.

Anyone here have experience with diesel engines in commercial fishing boats?
do those guys really trust their lives to engines that won't go even a thousand
hours? Anybody know why they do this?

Or is "steve" out to lunch?
Karl Denninger

In article ,
JAXAshby wrote:

The claim has been made by a poster on this ng who calls himself "steve" that
diesel engines as used on commercial fishing boats are often torn down for a
major overhaul after every trip to sea, about 700+ engine time.

Anyone here have experience with diesel engines in commercial fishing boats?
do those guys really trust their lives to engines that won't go even a thousand
hours? Anybody know why they do this?

Or is "steve" out to lunch?

A USCG boat in this area had to rip out and replace a Cummins turbodiesel
with just over 1500 hours. Warped head among other problems. They were
not amused with this "life", from what I was told - but they also did the
R&R themselves in a bit over 6 hours (!)

I think that pace would be considered "in earnest"

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net My home on the net
http://scubaforum.org Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://www.spamcuda.net SPAM FREE mailboxes - FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
JAXAshby

"steve", I was just taking your words at face value. Am I the only person on
the planet who has done so in the last two decades?

tell us again that diesel engines as used in commercial fishing boats need to
be "torn down" for a major overhaul after every several hundred hours usage,
and how drunken, nervous crew "clean the fuel injector plugs" the night before
leaving just to be sure.

The claim has been made by a poster on this ng who calls himself "steve"

that
diesel engines as used on commercial fishing boats are often torn down for a
major overhaul after every trip to sea, about 700+ engine time.

Anyone here have experience with diesel engines in commercial fishing boats?

do those guys really trust their lives to engines that won't go even a

thousand
hours? Anybody know why they do this?

Or is "steve" out to lunch?

Is this joxie the same person who claims that it's impossible to clean
the injectors of a diesel engine? Is this the same joxie who claims
that commercial fisherman go to sea for a month at a time on a single
engine without even checking it before they leave? Yup, that's our
idiot joxie.

Steve

Steven Shelikoff

On 13 Jul 2004 12:08:03 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

"steve", I was just taking your words at face value. Am I the only person on
the planet who has done so in the last two decades?

tell us again that diesel engines as used in commercial fishing boats need to
be "torn down" for a major overhaul after every several hundred hours usage,
and how drunken, nervous crew "clean the fuel injector plugs" the night before
leaving just to be sure.

See, you don't know how to read. I never said they need a major
overhauy every several hundred hours. I said they will often do a
teardown while in port between long extended voyages at sea. If you
think that's a wrong statement, you are an idiot. Just like if you
think it's it's impossible to clean fuel injectors, you are an idiot.

Joxie, you are too stupid for words.

Steve

The claim has been made by a poster on this ng who calls himself "steve"

that
diesel engines as used on commercial fishing boats are often torn down for a
major overhaul after every trip to sea, about 700+ engine time.

Anyone here have experience with diesel engines in commercial fishing boats?

do those guys really trust their lives to engines that won't go even a

thousand
hours? Anybody know why they do this?

Or is "steve" out to lunch?

Is this joxie the same person who claims that it's impossible to clean
the injectors of a diesel engine? Is this the same joxie who claims
that commercial fisherman go to sea for a month at a time on a single
engine without even checking it before they leave? Yup, that's our
idiot joxie.

Steve

JAXAshby

schlackoff, are you now saying that no one should take your words at face value
but everyone should believe you know what you are saying?

you be a dummy, shacky

[...]

Jeff Rigby

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
[...]

For the environmentalists, Diesel fuel is easily biodegradable. If fact
without additives algae grows in the tank and lines. This algie and other
debris builds up in the tank and lines and and the fuel filters need to be
cleaned and the injectors need to be inspected and cleaned after extended
use. Also, when a boat is subject to heavy seas everything tends to hit the
filters. So when you need the engines the most your filters clog!

JAXAshby

so, jeff, you are the opinion that changing fuel filters is what is meant by
the term "tear down"?

btw, jeff, are you aware that commercial fishing boats have fuel manifolds that
make replacement of clogged fuel filters an on the fly event?

[...]

JAXAshby

kass****er, go to any marine dealer and tell the guy behind the parts counter
you want "some plugs" for your "yacht" engine. tell him you want to be sure
the plugs have been "cleaned" and you won't let him try to slip unclean plugs
in on you. To impress him so he knows who you are, wear your fake Rolex, a rug
and a gaudy pinkie ring. Tell him how big your woman's tits are now that she
had them fixed again. Lay your gold Visa card on the counter to let the guy
know you are serious about those plugs. Make sure to tell the guy you a a
Kitten diesel engine or maybe a Jim Dear or a DDD 44's or a Ky-Boatah or a
DEEtroit 7-61 with mechanical turbo-charger. Tell him your woman likes it on
top the steering wheel while your yacht is cruising along at 90 knots per hour.

[...]

But it's a gas engine he was referring to, remember? A gas engine
would be the only type of engine that would have any type of "plug" in
the engine room!!!!

UK red diesel costs. Ken Baker General 0 May 25th 04 02:40 PM
Why I don't Buy Boating/Fishing Gear at Wal-Mart Don White General 4 April 4th 04 06:18 PM
Why Ficht failed no1 K Smith General 53 January 26th 04 07:46 PM
Habbi's gearcase full of water K Smith General 9 December 26th 03 11:48 AM