Don White

Default Why I don't Buy Boating/Fishing Gear at Wal-Mart

Harry Krause wrote in message

...and then you get jackass idiots who badmouth unions. Every hourly worker
in the country should be protected by one, if for no other reason than
protect them from employer theft.

Harry Krause

Don White wrote:
Harry Krause wrote in message

..and then you get jackass idiots who badmouth unions. Every hourly worker
in the country should be protected by one, if for no other reason than
protect them from employer theft.

My guess is that most of those who slam unions in their posts here would
not qualify for any skilled union craft job in the building or
manufacturing trades, and resent the fact that many union craft workers
earn solidly middle class incomes.

I recall some final year electrician apprentices I met in San Francisco,
including a young woman who already had a college degree and was working
as an accountant before joining up with the union. She's now working as
a control motor installer at $75,000 a year, straight time. And is worth
every penny.
Don White

Harry Krause wrote in message

My guess is that most of those who slam unions in their posts here would
not qualify for any skilled union craft job in the building or
manufacturing trades, and resent the fact that many union craft workers
earn solidly middle class incomes.

I recall some final year electrician apprentices I met in San Francisco,
including a young woman who already had a college degree and was working
as an accountant before joining up with the union. She's now working as
a control motor installer at $75,000 a year, straight time. And is worth
every penny.

The local Longshoreman's Union posted an ad in a local paper for 60
trainees.
At $27.00/hr CDN and 1.5 x for night shifts....2.0X Sundays & holidays a
darn good living can be earned by local standards.
At last report over 2000 applied. Seems like lots of people are only too
willing to work in a union environment.

Tuuk

Ya sure Harry.

How would an expensive and destructive union help here? Please give some
reasonable answers to that? You mean these employees do not know how many
hours they worked so their statement provided with their weekly compensation
doesn't reconcile with their own? So they need a union? Don't you have laws
in the country? If what the firm is doing is illegal, why cannot the
employee just go to the police? They need a union rep to hold their hand?
Tell them when to break, ****, work, read a paper, break, ****, work, read a
paper ? Yes, maybe your right, if your that simple, I would want someone
there to help you also, make sure no one steals your milk container in your
Britney Spear lunch pail.
No, unions are only for the simpletons who cannot think or compete for
themselves. Union here wouldn't do anything but add costs to the firm and
probably drive the firm out of town or out of business. So what your saying
is that there should be unions at the dollar stores. LOL,, Harry your the
limit. No clue of economics but you sure are entertaining.
Some things you say there Harry you really have to ask yourself,, "Is this
guy nuts"? Harry, do you make this **** up as you go along or are you
repeating coffee room conversations from years past?
If this woman you speak of Harry, she is on a union making that kind of
money, then your statement of her earnings worth every penny doesn't hold
any water, an oxymoron. You cannot belong to a union and your worth every
penny. Should this woman work for a firm where the market decides what she
is worth, then the statement makes sense but if she is protected by the
unions mass slobs and ignorance, then I am sure her job is on the slate for
migration.
Harry, if your such a brotherhood, union member, why are you bragging about
one human making so much money and there are so many out there who make very
little or less than minimum wage. Like fast food places. You think they
should all be unionized? You think the cooks at Taco Bell should make
$75,000 per year?
hint, its a trick question harry, dont answer it, it opens the door for you
to make a stupid statement.

Don White wrote:
Harry Krause wrote in message

..and then you get jackass idiots who badmouth unions. Every hourly

worker
in the country should be protected by one, if for no other reason than
protect them from employer theft.

My guess is that most of those who slam unions in their posts here would
not qualify for any skilled union craft job in the building or
manufacturing trades, and resent the fact that many union craft workers
earn solidly middle class incomes.

I recall some final year electrician apprentices I met in San Francisco,
including a young woman who already had a college degree and was working
as an accountant before joining up with the union. She's now working as
a control motor installer at $75,000 a year, straight time. And is worth
every penny.

Jim

That's why I don't buy ANYTHING at Walmart. There are a lot of other
palaces.

The title of ther founder of WalMart's biography is "Made in America".
Very few things sold there are. They do wave the flag a lot, though.

Harry Krause wrote:

April 4, 2004
Altering of Worker Time Cards Spurs Growing Number of Suits
By STEVEN GREENHOUSE
NYTIMES

s a former member of the Air Force military police, as a
play-by-the-rules guy, Drew Pooters said he was stunned by what he found
his manager doing in the Toys "R" Us store in Albuquerque.

Inside a cramped office, he said, his manager was sitting at a computer
and altering workers' time records, secretly deleting hours to cut their
paychecks and fatten his store's bottom line.

"I told him, `That's not exactly legal,' " said Mr. Pooters, who ran the
store's electronics department. "Then he out-and-out threatened me not
to talk about what I saw."

Mr. Pooters quit, landing a job in 2002 managing a Family Dollar store,
one of 5,100 in that discount chain. Top managers there ordered him not
to let employees' total hours exceed a certain amount each week, and one
day, he said, his district manager told him to use a trick to cut
payroll: delete some employee hours electronically.

"I told her, `I'm not going to get involved in this,' " Mr. Pooters
recalled, saying that when he refused, the district manager erased the
hours herself.

Experts on compensation say that the illegal doctoring of hourly
employees' time records is far more prevalent than most Americans
believe. The practice, commonly called shaving time, is easily done and
hard to detect — a simple matter of computer keystrokes — and has
spurred a growing number of lawsuits and settlements against a wide
range of businesses.

Workers have sued Family Dollar and Pep Boys, the auto parts and repair
chain, accusing managers of deleting hours. A jury found that Taco Bell
managers in Oregon had routinely erased workers' time. More than a dozen
former Wal-Mart employees said in interviews and depositions that
managers had altered time records to shortchange employees. The
Department of Labor recently reached two back-pay settlements with
Kinko's photocopy centers, totaling $56,600, after finding that managers
in Ithaca, N.Y., and Hyannis, Mass., had erased time for 13 employees.

"There are a lot of incentives for store managers to cut costs in
illegal ways," said David Lewin, a professor of management who teaches a
course on compensation at the University of California, Los Angeles.
"You hope that would be contrary to company practices, but sometimes
these practices become so ingrained that they become the dominant
practice."

Officials at Toys "R" Us, Family Dollar, Pep Boys, Wal-Mart and Taco
Bell say they prohibit manipulation of time records, but many
acknowledge that it sometimes happens.

"Our policy is to pay hourly associates for every minute they work,"
said Mona Williams, vice president for communications at Wal-Mart. "With
a company this large, there will inevitably be instances of managers
doing the wrong thing. Our policy is if a manager deliberately deletes
time, they're dismissed."

Compensation experts say that many managers, whether at discount stores
or fast-food restaurants, fear losing their jobs if they fail to keep
costs down.

"A lot of this is that district managers might fire you as soon as look
at you," said William Rutzick, a lawyer who reached a $1.5 million
settlement with Taco Bell last year after a jury found the chain's
managers guilty of erasing time and requiring off-the-clock work. "The
store managers have a toehold in the lower middle class. They're being
paid $20,000, $30,000. They're in management. They get medical. They
have no job security at all, and they want to keep their toehold in the
lower middle class, and they'll often do whatever is necessary to do it."

Another reason managers shave time, experts say, is that an increasing
part of their compensation comes in bonuses based on minimizing costs or
maximizing profits.

"The pressures are just unbelievable to control costs and improve
productivity," said George Milkovich, a longtime Cornell University
professor of industrial relations and co-author of the leading textbook
on compensation. "All this manipulation of payroll may be the unintended
consequence of increasing the emphasis on bonuses."

Beth Terrell, a Seattle lawyer who has sued Wal-Mart, accusing its
managers of doctoring time records, said: "Many of these employees are
making $8 an hour. These employees can scarcely afford to have time
deleted. They're barely paying their bills already."

In the punch-card era, managers would have had to conspire with payroll
clerks or accountants to manipulate records. But now it is far easier
for individual managers to accomplish this secretly with computers,
payroll experts say.

Mr. Pooters, a father of five who left the Air Force in 1997 for a
career in retailing, talks with disgust about photocopied Toys "R" Us
records that he said showed how his manager made it appear that he had
clocked out much earlier than he had.

"Unless you keep track of your time and keep records of when you punch
in and punch out, there's no way to stop this," he said.

After leaving Toys "R" Us and Family Dollar, Mr. Pooters moved to
Indiana and took a job as an account manager with Rentway, a chain that
leases furniture and electronics. There, he and a co-worker, William
Coombs, said, the workload was so intense that they typically missed
four lunch breaks a week. Nonetheless, they said, their manager inserted
a half-hour for lunch into their time records every day, reducing their
pay accordingly.

"They told us to sign the payroll printouts to confirm it was right,"
Mr. Pooters said, describing a confrontation last November. "When we
protested about what happened with our lunch hours, the manager said,
`If you don't sign, you're not going to get paid.' "

Mr. Coombs said: "They removed our lunch hours all the time. We were
told if we didn't sign the payroll sheets, we'd be terminated."

Larry Gorski, Rentway's vice president for human resources, said his
company strictly prohibited erasing time. "As soon as we hear this is
going on, we jump all over it," he said.

Shannon Priller, who worked at a Family Dollar store in Rio Rancho,
N.M., sheepishly acknowledged that she sometimes watched her district
manager erase her hours. "The manager and I would sit there and go over
everybody's time cards," she said. "We were told not to go over payroll,
or we would lose our jobs. If we were over, my hours would get shaved."

Some weeks, she said, she lost 10 or 15 hours, and her 6 a.m. clock-in
time became 9 a.m. Patricia Bauer, a clerk at the store, said her
paycheck was sometimes cut to under 30 hours on weeks when she worked 40.

Like Mr. Pooters, these women have joined a lawsuit that accuses Family
Dollar of erasing time and requiring off-the-clock work. "It needs to
stop," said Ms. Priller, who now cleans houses.

Kim Danner said that when she ran a Family Dollar store with eight
employees in Minneapolis, her district manager urged her to erase hours
so that she never paid overtime or exceeded her allotted payroll.
Federal law generally requires paying time-and-a-half to nonmanagerial
employees who work more than 40 hours a week.

Ms. Danner said her employees could not do all the unloading, stocking,
cashier work and pricing of merchandise in the hours allotted. "The
message from the district manager was, basically, `I don't care how you
do it, just get it done,' " she said.

So she altered clock-out times and inserted half-hour lunch breaks even
when employees had worked through them. "I felt horrible that I was
doing this," she said. "I felt pressured, absolutely. If I refused, I
would have been terminated easily."

After five months, she quit.

Sandra Wilkenloh, Family Dollar's communications director, declined to
respond to the lawsuit, but said, "Family Dollar's policy is to fully
comply with all wage and hour laws and to take appropriate disciplinary
action in any case where we determine that such policy has been violated."

She said Family Dollar maintained a hot line that employees could call
anonymously to report wage violations.

Rosann Wilks, who was an assistant manager at a Pep Boys in Nashville,
said she was fired in 2001 after refusing to delete time. She said her
district manager told her, "Under no circumstances at all is overtime
allowed, and if so, then you need to shave time."

At first, she bowed to orders and erased hours. Some employees began
asking questions, she said, but they refused to confront management.
"They took it lying down," she said. "They didn't want to lose their
job. Jobs are hard to find."

When she started feeling guilty and confronted her district manager, she
said, "It all came to a boil. He fired me."

Bill Furtkevic, Pep Boys' spokesman, said his company did not tolerate
deleting time.

"Pep Boys' policy dictates, and record demonstrates, that any store
manager found to have shaved any amount of employee time be terminated,"
he said. He added that the company's investigation "revealed no more
than 21 instances over the past five years where time shaving" had
occurred.

More than a dozen former Wal-Mart employees said time records were
altered in numerous ways. Some said that when they clocked more than 40
hours a week, managers transferred extra hours to the following week, to
avoid paying overtime. Federal law bars moving hours from one week to
another.

Wal-Mart executives acknowledged that one common practice, the
"one-minute clock-out," had cheated employees for years. It involved
workers who clocked out for lunch and forgot to clock back in before
finishing the day. In such situations, many managers altered records to
show such workers clocking out for the day one minute after their lunch
breaks began — at 12:01 p.m., for example. That way a worker's day was
often three hoMarturs and one minute, instead of seven hours.

Ms. Williams, the Wal-Mart spokeswoman, said Wal-Mart had broadcast a
video to store managers last April telling them to halt all one-minute
clock-outs. Under the new policy, when workers fail to clock in after
lunch, managers must do their best to determine what their true workday
was.

In interviews, five former Wal-Mart managers acknowledged erasing time
to cut costs. Victor Mitchell said that as an assistant manager in
Hazlehurst, Miss., in 1997, he frequently shaved time.

"We were told we can't have any overtime," he said. "It's what the other
assistant managers were doing, and I went along with it."

Mr. Mitchell said the store's manager ordered them to stop. But he said
that in 2002, after becoming manager of a Wal-Mart in Bogalusa, La., a
new district manager ordered him to erase overtime. He said he refused.

Ms. Williams said Wal-Mart had increased efforts to stop managers from
shaving time or allowing off-the-clock work.

Wal-Mart has circulated a "payroll integrity" memo, saying that any
worker, "hourly or salaried, who knowingly falsifies payroll records is
subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination."

Employees at Wal-Mart and other companies complain that they receive no
paper time records, making it hard to challenge management when their
paychecks are inexplicably low.

Ms. Danner, the former Family Dollar manager, praised the system at the
McDonald's restaurant she managed for seven years. At day's end, she
said, employees received a printout detailing total hours worked and
when they clocked in and out.

"We never had any problems like this at McDonald's," she said.

gear linkage adjustment 1995 Force tcoop General 2 October 16th 03 10:09 AM
SternDrive Gear ratios General 5 October 4th 03 12:35 AM
Put into gear = Engine shuts down? Tony Thomas General 2 July 20th 03 12:19 AM
Need ring gear or specs for 1995 PCM 5.8 Pro Boss [email protected] General 6 July 10th 03 07:18 AM
OMC 225 idles fine in Neutral, stalls in gear. Why? K W General 0 July 9th 03 05:13 PM