tcoop

Default gear linkage adjustment 1995 Force

I know the Force engine is not the best engine someone could own, but its
what I have and I have to make the best of it. I am new to boating and
recently bought a boat motor and trailer. I am doing some precautionary
things to the engine before taking to the water. Simple things like changing
the gear oil and the water pump impeller.
I have it all changed and back together but I am not sure I have the gear
linkage adjusted back like it needs to be. I wouldn't bet that it was
adjusted correctly before I changed the impeller.
Anyway here is what it does when I turn the prop by hand. Maybe someone
could tell me if this is correct and if it isn't, what do I do to correct
it.
As I said I have a 1995 40 hp Force engine. It has the type linkage that has
the coupling on a rod with a jam nut on the other rod. Here is what happens
when I spin the prop by hand. I haven't cranked the engine since I installed
the impeller for fear of grinding the gears away.

When the shifter control is all the way forward the prop spins clockwise and
has a click when it is turned. The prop will not spin counter clockwise.

In Neutral the prop spins freely in both directions, no clicking.

In reverse the prop will not spin in either direction.

Any help is appreciated, but keep in mind I am new to the outboard engine
and may not know where some things are that you may refer to. I do have an
exploded view of the gearcase I got from the Net, so maybe with your help I
can figure this out.

Thanks for your time and patience.
Tom

jim

usually takes 2 to help out here. if its clicking, you got too much in one
direction. This the one with the jam nut that has the rod going through it like
a "T"? Just play with the jam nut until you get good forward and reverse with no
clicking. If the gears or clutchdog is wearing out, try for all forward but no
reverse.

tcoop wrote:

[...]

tcoop

Thanks for answering my post. Would I need to adjust the bottom rod (the rod
that goes in the gear case) up or down? I took a pair of pliers and got it
down as much as I can get to go and it doesn't seem far enough. It still
clicks in forward and doesn't turn at all in reverse. If I have enough
daylight when I get home today I will try adjusting it up and see what
happens.
Should I take the coupling rod completely loose, then move the bottom rod
(this one has the jam nut) to where the prop does what it is suppose to do
and then screw the coupling rod to it?
By the way, can you tell me exactly what the prop will do when it is
correct? Will it turn one way and not the other with no clicking or will it
not turn at all in either direction?
I appreciate your help.
Tom in SC