Kenneth Hopkins

Default Inflatable rollers for beaching?

Hi Guys

Has anyone tried using inflatable rollers to beach their boat (on a
beach!)?

I was wondering if this could be done with well inflated fenders for my 19'
sportsboat?

Cheers
Kenny

JGS

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:55:29 +0100, "Kenneth Hopkins"
wrote:

Hi Guys

Has anyone tried using inflatable rollers to beach their boat (on a
beach!)?

I was wondering if this could be done with well inflated fenders for my 19'
sportsboat?

Cheers
Kenny

Never tried that although I have seen it done. A fender buoy was tied
between the cleats on the port and starboard sides of the bow and
pulled enough to slightly submerge the fender buoy just below the
water line and under the keel. The boat was then run onto shore. It
took a lot of fumbling and took more effort than it sounds. I guess it
looked like too much effort for me to try. Besides, it didn't protect
the rest of the boat bottom from bumping from a large wake made by a
passing boat.

I usually drop and set an anchor off the stern about a 100 feet from
shore. I tie on a float to the anchor rode about midway. Then I run
the boat up to the beach slowly until the keel just touches. Next I
tie off the stern anchor rode. Then I jump off and tie up the bow of
the boat to a stake in the beach or to my second anchor which I set
into the beach sand leaving some slack. Then I get back on the boat
and tighten up the stern anchor rode pulling myself away from shore.
Then I pull on the beach line to bring myself back into shore and jump
off again.

Then I let out the rode from the beach end, give the boat a little
push out and the float takes up the slack between the boat and the
anchor pulling the boat away from shore. That way the keel and hull
aren't subjected to the scratching from the sand with each passing
wake or wave.

When I am ready to board the boat again, I simply pull in the beach
line. The float goes under water and I can bring the boat up to board
her.

Since I am usually boating with my wife, it makes the job a whole lot
easier. She stays on the boat and tightens up the stern anchor rode
and ties it off. Then I pull the boat and her back to the beach.

If you really do a lot of beaching, a keel guard should be added to
protect the fiberglass keel. Keel guards are available through most
boating outlets and are easy to install.

As you may have guessed by now, this is for inland or protected waters
and is intended to keep the boat from being pounded against the beach
by the wake of other passing boats.
William G. Andersen

I think you'd find that your 19' boat is a lot heavier than you'd expect.
Easier to add a KeelShield or KeelGuard and beach the boat. I use a metal
auger intended for a dog tie up, to tie a line. Don't know how secure it is,
but expect that it will give me enough notice that I can get to the line
before the boat breaks free of the beach.

"Kenneth Hopkins" wrote in message
Hi Guys

Has anyone tried using inflatable rollers to beach their boat (on a
beach!)?

I was wondering if this could be done with well inflated fenders for my

19'
sportsboat?

Cheers
Kenny

Calif Bill

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Kenneth Hopkins wrote:

Hi Guys

Has anyone tried using inflatable rollers to beach their boat (on a
beach!)?

I was wondering if this could be done with well inflated fenders for my

19'
sportsboat?

Cheers
Kenny

Depends upon the weight of the boat, the incline, the softness of the
sand, the size of the rollers, and the number of gorillas you have
around to pull/push the boat. I'd guess under most circumstances, no.

In Baja, they have used big PVC pipes as beach roller. They are open so
water can get in a sink them, have roipes attached, so not lost, and then as
you roll the boat up the beach, they one at the back can be moved to the
front. Have to have enough size and number to support the boat without much
sinking in the beach / sand.

Matt Lang

"Kenneth Hopkins" wrote in message ...
Hi Guys

Has anyone tried using inflatable rollers to beach their boat (on a
beach!)?

I was wondering if this could be done with well inflated fenders for my 19'
sportsboat?

What about a heavy duty tarp put on the beach , then you can slither
the boat on that, as long as its no sharp rocks

Matt

Rod McInnis

"Kenneth Hopkins" wrote in message
Hi Guys

Has anyone tried using inflatable rollers to beach their boat (on a
beach!)?

I was wondering if this could be done with well inflated fenders for my

19'
sportsboat?

Why do you want your 19' boat up on the beach?

Beaching a boat is always risky. I have done it a lot, but have always been
close by so that I could push the boat out into deeper water if a big wake
was coming. If you don't get the boat high enough up to clear it from the
reach of waves/wakes then the boat can really take a pounding. In addition,
it the beach has a significant slope to it then it is lifting the bow high.
If a big wakes comes along, and the back of the boat is still in the water,
the bow up attitude can make the stern "sink", (or at least not rise with
the wake) and the wake can break over the transom, filling the boat with
water.

Rod

AMD Rules

Kenneth Hopkins wrote:
The reason I'm asking is that I occasionally go camping and I think that
beaching my boat will be safer than leaving it overnight at anchor.

Any views?

Have a look here for alternatives:

http://www.africaoils.co.za/amphibious_vehicles.htm

http://www.efanzines.com/1985Australia/DUKW.jpg

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/library/i...i_aquafest.jpg

http://www.raceshop.org/artcar/parad...ge006/boat.jpg

http://stillruns.com/kruse2003/amphicar.jpg

http://www.amphicar.com/amphicar.jpg

Calif Bill

[...]

Probably a lot more damage beaching the boat. Just install a high-water
alarm, to a loud siren. Then if the bilge pumps fail, or a hose fails, then
you can save the boat. Anchor the boat off shore a little, bow out, so the
boat does not bang on the beach or rocks.
Bill

Replacing Trailer Rollers Monty General 1 June 19th 04 02:01 PM
where to buy ex coast guard or river police Rigid inflatable boats harry palmer General 2 June 5th 04 04:21 AM
Bunks and/or rollers Mike General 3 October 7th 03 01:21 PM
Seahawk 500 inflatable questions noah General 5 July 22nd 03 09:09 PM
Inflatable Boat - Lakes in Chicagoland Slawek General 6 July 21st 03 01:54 AM