JGS

Default Inflatable rollers for beaching?

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:55:29 +0100, "Kenneth Hopkins"
wrote:

Hi Guys

Has anyone tried using inflatable rollers to beach their boat (on a
beach!)?

I was wondering if this could be done with well inflated fenders for my 19'
sportsboat?

Cheers
Kenny

Never tried that although I have seen it done. A fender buoy was tied
between the cleats on the port and starboard sides of the bow and
pulled enough to slightly submerge the fender buoy just below the
water line and under the keel. The boat was then run onto shore. It
took a lot of fumbling and took more effort than it sounds. I guess it
looked like too much effort for me to try. Besides, it didn't protect
the rest of the boat bottom from bumping from a large wake made by a
passing boat.

I usually drop and set an anchor off the stern about a 100 feet from
shore. I tie on a float to the anchor rode about midway. Then I run
the boat up to the beach slowly until the keel just touches. Next I
tie off the stern anchor rode. Then I jump off and tie up the bow of
the boat to a stake in the beach or to my second anchor which I set
into the beach sand leaving some slack. Then I get back on the boat
and tighten up the stern anchor rode pulling myself away from shore.
Then I pull on the beach line to bring myself back into shore and jump
off again.

Then I let out the rode from the beach end, give the boat a little
push out and the float takes up the slack between the boat and the
anchor pulling the boat away from shore. That way the keel and hull
aren't subjected to the scratching from the sand with each passing
wake or wave.

When I am ready to board the boat again, I simply pull in the beach
line. The float goes under water and I can bring the boat up to board
her.

Since I am usually boating with my wife, it makes the job a whole lot
easier. She stays on the boat and tightens up the stern anchor rode
and ties it off. Then I pull the boat and her back to the beach.

If you really do a lot of beaching, a keel guard should be added to
protect the fiberglass keel. Keel guards are available through most
boating outlets and are easy to install.

As you may have guessed by now, this is for inland or protected waters
and is intended to keep the boat from being pounded against the beach
by the wake of other passing boats.