R.Smyth

Default Longer skeg

After smashing a prop, the prop shop guy suggested lengthening my skeg. But
he quoted $$$$.
So here's my idea...
Extend the length of the skeg by bolting on two strips of metal then
fibreglassing it, creating a smooth pointed end.
I know there are powerful forces at work at the business end of a boat, but
the boat itself is made of fibreglass. It will probably break if it hits
bottom. But will it stand up to the stress and the friction of normal
running?
rs

--
=^..^=

--
=^..^=
Tony Thomas

Won't save anything. The skeg already sticks down farther than the prop. Take for example - if you hit a rock going extremely slow - the motor would just lift over the rock. However, once it dropped back down on the back side of the skeg - the prop will hit as the skeg does not extend back past the rear of the prop. No matter how long it is.

If your talking about extending it back on the bottom - this would probably create water turbulance problems and would not be strong enough to keep anything substantial from hitting the prop anyway unless large and welded into place.

Sounds like a scam from the prop shop guy.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"R.Smyth" wrote in message ...
After smashing a prop, the prop shop guy suggested lengthening my skeg. But
he quoted $$$$.
So here's my idea...
Extend the length of the skeg by bolting on two strips of metal then
fibreglassing it, creating a smooth pointed end.
I know there are powerful forces at work at the business end of a boat, but
the boat itself is made of fibreglass. It will probably break if it hits
bottom. But will it stand up to the stress and the friction of normal
running?
rs

--
=^..^=

--
=^..^=

IBNFSHN

Cabela's, BPS or your local prop shop. Here's what they look like.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...jpg&hasJS=true

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

Skeg Guard Coff General 9 April 5th 04 06:24 PM
Bravo III - is skeg supposed to have a bend? Slambram General 4 March 30th 04 06:35 PM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale General 6 February 20th 04 02:28 PM
Any boat repair will take longer and cost more than originally guessed! Gould 0738 General 11 January 11th 04 08:00 AM
skegs Randy General 13 October 6th 03 01:18 PM