Coff

Default Skeg Guard

The bottom 1/2 of the skeg on my Merc I/O has been missing for a few
years now. The marina mechanic approached me today as I was getting
things ready for next week's launch. He questioned that since I tend
to be a little anal regarding the care of my boat, why have I not
gotten the skeg repaired?

I told him that I didn't see $280 worth of value in getting that
little piece welded back on.

Questions for the NG:

1. Is there a performance or handling benefit to having it at 100%?
2. What, exactly, does it do?
3. I think I'm getting hosed at $280 for the repair, so I haven't
reparied it. Am I?
4. Can I just buy one of those Skeg Guards from West Marine for about
$90 & attach it to achieve the same results?

Thanks.

Coff
WRH

I had an entire skeg replaced once and I think it cost me around $100. But I
took the lower unit off and took it to them. I now have a 150 Merc and have
been looking at those guards for the same reason.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Coff" wrote in message
om...
The bottom 1/2 of the skeg on my Merc I/O has been missing for a few
years now. The marina mechanic approached me today as I was getting
things ready for next week's launch. He questioned that since I tend
to be a little anal regarding the care of my boat, why have I not
gotten the skeg repaired?

I told him that I didn't see $280 worth of value in getting that
little piece welded back on.

Questions for the NG:

1. Is there a performance or handling benefit to having it at 100%?
2. What, exactly, does it do?
3. I think I'm getting hosed at $280 for the repair, so I haven't
reparied it. Am I?
4. Can I just buy one of those Skeg Guards from West Marine for about
$90 & attach it to achieve the same results?

Thanks.

Coff

Calif Bill

"WRH" wrote in message
I had an entire skeg replaced once and I think it cost me around $100. But

took the lower unit off and took it to them. I now have a 150 Merc and

have
been looking at those guards for the same reason.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Coff" wrote in message
om...
The bottom 1/2 of the skeg on my Merc I/O has been missing for a few
years now. The marina mechanic approached me today as I was getting
things ready for next week's launch. He questioned that since I tend
to be a little anal regarding the care of my boat, why have I not
gotten the skeg repaired?

I told him that I didn't see $280 worth of value in getting that
little piece welded back on.

Questions for the NG:

1. Is there a performance or handling benefit to having it at 100%?
2. What, exactly, does it do?
3. I think I'm getting hosed at $280 for the repair, so I haven't
reparied it. Am I?
4. Can I just buy one of those Skeg Guards from West Marine for about
$90 & attach it to achieve the same results?

Thanks.

Coff

I had a 15 hp skeg fixed, just small chunk out, and some other welding done
on a leg. I pulled the leg and sent it to them. $85 about 4 years ago.

Griss

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

"WRH" wrote in message
I had an entire skeg replaced once and I think it cost me around $100.

But
took the lower unit off and took it to them. I now have a 150 Merc and

have
been looking at those guards for the same reason.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Coff" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My sentiments exactly - $280 sounds way high to me. I'm wondering who
quoted you that price - was it a boat shop or a welder? I've always used
welding/fabrication shops (with boat and lower unit expertise, of course) to
do this sort of stuff, not boat shops. That might make a difference.
Obviously, if it costs more than $100 (I'd expect to pay less), your best
bet would be to put a skeg guard on it instead. And I think that would be a
perfectly viable option. Good luck.

Grissy

LD

If you're not having a problem I'd leave it alone. As basskisser says maybe
you're getting a little more steering torque or instability. I ran one
missing about half for a year, didn't notice any difference.
To answer your questions,
1. no, not really (unless you are a racer)
2. It adds stability and to a degree may protect your prop.
3. Sounds like about $180-200 too much.
4. If you want to spend $90 to let your friends believe you have a complete
skeg, yes.
LD
"Coff" wrote in message
om...
The bottom 1/2 of the skeg on my Merc I/O has been missing for a few
years now. The marina mechanic approached me today as I was getting
things ready for next week's launch. He questioned that since I tend
to be a little anal regarding the care of my boat, why have I not
gotten the skeg repaired?

I told him that I didn't see $280 worth of value in getting that
little piece welded back on.

Questions for the NG:

1. Is there a performance or handling benefit to having it at 100%?
2. What, exactly, does it do?
3. I think I'm getting hosed at $280 for the repair, so I haven't
reparied it. Am I?
4. Can I just buy one of those Skeg Guards from West Marine for about
$90 & attach it to achieve the same results?

Thanks.

Coff

Coff

"LD" wrote in message link.net...
If you're not having a problem I'd leave it alone. As basskisser says maybe
you're getting a little more steering torque or instability. I ran one
missing about half for a year, didn't notice any difference.
To answer your questions,
1. no, not really (unless you are a racer)
2. It adds stability and to a degree may protect your prop.
3. Sounds like about $180-200 too much.
4. If you want to spend $90 to let your friends believe you have a complete
skeg, yes.
LD

"If you want to spend $90 to let your friends believe you have a
complete
skeg, yes."

What does THAT mean???

For all of you who responded, thank you. I ordered a Skeg Guard from
www.overtons.com for $90. It is stainless steel and will cover the
entire skeg.

Once it's on, I'm hoping my friends will all dive in behind our Carver
and open their eyes under water. Once there I hope to make all them
believe I "have a complete skeg..." Sheesh...

Coff

Damn, life is good!
LD

"If you want to spend $90 to let your friends believe you have a
complete
skeg, yes."

What does THAT mean???

If you have the money to spare and it makes you feel good than do it! It
may or may not impress your friends but I guess it will get the marina
mechanic off your back. Me, I'd look at the $90 and see 50gal of gas or 10
Domino's pizzas or that inflatable life jacket I just bought or two summers
supply of beer (for me AND my friends), etc, etc,
LD LOL, :-)

Once it's on, I'm hoping my friends will all dive in behind our Carver
and open their eyes under water. Once there I hope to make all them
believe I "have a complete skeg..." Sheesh...

Coff

Damn, life is good!

Coff

"LD" wrote in message link.net...
"If you want to spend $90 to let your friends believe you have a
complete
skeg, yes."

What does THAT mean???

If you have the money to spare and it makes you feel good than do it! It
may or may not impress your friends but I guess it will get the marina
mechanic off your back. Me, I'd look at the $90 and see 50gal of gas or 10
Domino's pizzas or that inflatable life jacket I just bought or two summers
supply of beer (for me AND my friends), etc, etc,
LD LOL, :-)

"It may or may not impress your friends..."

What does THAT mean?

Coff

Damn, life is good!