Randy

Default skegs

Just got the boat out of the water and what do I find... about 1/3 of the
skeg gone. Best to have it welded and repaired. Or are these Skegguards
worth the money?

Tony Thomas

I personally would not worry about it. You obviously did not know it when
running the boat. It is not hurting anything.
I have run boats w/ almost no skeg before you could notice any difference.
(not mine but a boat I was working on).
I also have broken off about 1/2 the skeg off the front when I rolled over a
rock and the weight of the boat snapped the skeg. Never noticed a
difference. Even sold the boat w/ it broke w/ no reduction in price.

Bottom line, leave it alone. If you break it again, then maybe get it
fixed.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Randy" wrote in message
.. .
Just got the boat out of the water and what do I find... about 1/3 of the
skeg gone. Best to have it welded and repaired. Or are these Skegguards
worth the money?

Calif Bill

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
I personally would not worry about it. You obviously did not know it when
running the boat. It is not hurting anything.
I have run boats w/ almost no skeg before you could notice any difference.
(not mine but a boat I was working on).
I also have broken off about 1/2 the skeg off the front when I rolled over

rock and the weight of the boat snapped the skeg. Never noticed a
difference. Even sold the boat w/ it broke w/ no reduction in price.

Bottom line, leave it alone. If you break it again, then maybe get it
fixed.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Randy" wrote in message
.. .
Just got the boat out of the water and what do I find... about 1/3 of

the
skeg gone. Best to have it welded and repaired. Or are these Skegguards
worth the money?

And if you run into something else and the skeg is missing, the skeg can not
be broke if it ain't there. Course the prop and shft will take a lick'n.
Get it welded. About $80.

megabite

Most "Major" marine facilities weld/repair skegs on a routine basis. Not a
problem whatsoever for the experienced. After proper finishing and
re-installation, impossible to tell.
"Randy" wrote in message
.. .
Just got the boat out of the water and what do I find... about 1/3 of the
skeg gone. Best to have it welded and repaired. Or are these Skegguards
worth the money?

noah

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:30:08 -0400, "Randy"
wrote:

Just got the boat out of the water and what do I find... about 1/3 of the
skeg gone. Best to have it welded and repaired. Or are these Skegguards
worth the money?

If you normally run in deep, clean water, it probably won't be a big
deal.

The skeg helps in steering, but the main purpose is to protect the
prop and (therefore) drivetrain.

Since you broke it, I would assume that you need it.

Good luck,

....carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.
Harry Krause

wrote:

Just got the boat out of the water and what do I find... about 1/3 of the
skeg gone. Best to have it welded and repaired. Or are these Skegguards
worth the money?

If you normally run in deep, clean water, it probably won't be a big
deal.

The skeg helps in steering, but the main purpose is to protect the
prop and (therefore) drivetrain.

Since you broke it, I would assume that you need it.

Good luck,

...carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.

Hmmm. Didn't notice he hit something? Never bothers to check the
"running gear" of the boat?

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

basskisser

"Calif Bill" wrote in message news:scDeb.11294
And if you run into something else and the skeg is missing, the skeg can not
be broke if it ain't there. Course the prop and shft will take a lick'n.
Get it welded. About $80.

He didn't say the whole thing was gone. One third. Learn to read, will
you? The skeg on my 135 Evinrude has been about a third gone since I
bought the boat. No adverse affects.
Bill Cole

Did you argue with someone that it didn't make sense to fill portable gas
tanks on the dock to keep them inside the boat? Aren't you the one who
believed that a gas engine would burn absolutely no oil during normal use.

I don't believe your boating advice is prudent advice.

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"Calif Bill" wrote in message

And if you run into something else and the skeg is missing, the skeg can

not
be broke if it ain't there. Course the prop and shft will take a

lick'n.
Get it welded. About $80.

He didn't say the whole thing was gone. One third. Learn to read, will
you? The skeg on my 135 Evinrude has been about a third gone since I
bought the boat. No adverse affects.

Calif Bill

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

And if you run into something else and the skeg is missing, the skeg can

not
be broke if it ain't there. Course the prop and shft will take a

lick'n.
Get it welded. About $80.

He didn't say the whole thing was gone. One third. Learn to read, will
you? The skeg on my 135 Evinrude has been about a third gone since I
bought the boat. No adverse affects.

More stupid advice. If the boat only needed 2/3 of the skeg, the
manufacturer would make the skeg 2/3 the size they do. Both for tracking
and for protection. That extra metal cost's money. As Mr. Kettering told
the people of National Cash Register. Install all the screws. If we did
not need them we would not have them in the first place.