BoatBanter.com

-   -   Longer skeg (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/5465-longer-skeg.html)

R.Smyth July 10th 04 05:11 AM

Longer skeg

After smashing a prop, the prop shop guy suggested lengthening my skeg. But
he quoted $$$$.
So here's my idea...
Extend the length of the skeg by bolting on two strips of metal then
fibreglassing it, creating a smooth pointed end.
I know there are powerful forces at work at the business end of a boat, but
the boat itself is made of fibreglass. It will probably break if it hits
bottom. But will it stand up to the stress and the friction of normal
running?
rs

--
=^..^=

--
=^..^=

Tony Thomas July 10th 04 05:54 AM

Longer skeg

Won't save anything. The skeg already sticks down farther than the prop. Take for example - if you hit a rock going extremely slow - the motor would just lift over the rock. However, once it dropped back down on the back side of the skeg - the prop will hit as the skeg does not extend back past the rear of the prop. No matter how long it is.

If your talking about extending it back on the bottom - this would probably create water turbulance problems and would not be strong enough to keep anything substantial from hitting the prop anyway unless large and welded into place.

Sounds like a scam from the prop shop guy.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

IBNFSHN July 10th 04 09:02 PM

Longer skeg

Unless part of your skeg has been broken off, its not needed. If it has, you can get a stainless one that bolts on over the old one. They work great.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

IBNFSHN July 18th 04 09:56 PM

Longer skeg

Cabela's, BPS or your local prop shop. Here's what they look like.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...jpg&hasJS=true

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va