Dan J.S.

Default Starting a Honda outboard question

I have a Bennington pontoon boat and a Honda 4 stroke 90 HP engine. It seems
I always have a problem starting this engine, and I am very sure the problem
is me. This is my procedure, maybe someone can correct me:

1. I pump the throttle handle 3 times. I leave in in neutral and at 25%
throttle.
2. I hold the choke switch and then turn the ignition on.

It seems to never catch on the first 3-4 tries. Only after 4th try do I even
get a sign of catching, and it lights up on 5th or 6th.

Should I pump more gas at the beginning? I upgraded from a wellcraft boat
with an I/O engine, where more than 3 pumps and you flooded the engine. So
maybe I am just not giving the Honda enough gas at the beginning. Anyone
have a suggestion?

Butch Davis

Dan,

RTFM!! Modern engines should not require throttle "pumping". You are
probably flooding the cylinders by dumping fuel by operating the
accellerator pump.. This can wash the oil coating off the cylinders prior
to starting. Not a smart move, IMO. Have you tried simply cranking the
engine? Might just work for you.... but try doing as the manual says.

Butch
"Dan J.S." wrote in message
I have a Bennington pontoon boat and a Honda 4 stroke 90 HP engine. It

seems
I always have a problem starting this engine, and I am very sure the

problem
is me. This is my procedure, maybe someone can correct me:

1. I pump the throttle handle 3 times. I leave in in neutral and at 25%
throttle.
2. I hold the choke switch and then turn the ignition on.

It seems to never catch on the first 3-4 tries. Only after 4th try do I

even
get a sign of catching, and it lights up on 5th or 6th.

Should I pump more gas at the beginning? I upgraded from a wellcraft boat
with an I/O engine, where more than 3 pumps and you flooded the engine. So
maybe I am just not giving the Honda enough gas at the beginning. Anyone
have a suggestion?

Dan J.S.

"Butch Davis" wrote in message
nk.net...
Dan,

RTFM!! Modern engines should not require throttle "pumping". You are
probably flooding the cylinders by dumping fuel by operating the
accellerator pump.. This can wash the oil coating off the cylinders prior
to starting. Not a smart move, IMO. Have you tried simply cranking the
engine? Might just work for you.... but try doing as the manual says.

Butch

This is not a Fuel Injected engine. The manual does say to pump the
throttle. I am thinking that maybe I am not doing it enough? However, i may
be off base. The engine is 2000 model, and the manual I have was printed off
the web. I presume its the right manual. I know for a fact the engine has a
carb. Do you really think I may not need to pump gas?

Thanks
Dan

John

Hi,

First, just call a Honda dealer or Honda Customer service. They will be
able to give you the correct starting procedure.

For what it is worth, I have a Mercury 90 4-Stroke which is really a Yamaha.
I use the following procedure which works well.

1) Pump fuel primer bulb if starting for first time of the day.

2) Leave throttle in neutralnd turn key to start. That is usually all it
takes.

3) Sometimes I have to push the key in which activates the "Choke". I belive
it really is not a choke but a primer pump. That will always get it going.

John

"Dan J.S." wrote in message

[...]

Tony Thomas

Outboards do not have accelerator pumps like car engines did when carbed.
Pumping the throttle does nothing. You are not flooded but rather have no
fuel in the carbs so it is taking a long time for the fuel pump (manual) to
get fuel to the system.

1. Pump the fuel bubble back near the engine on the fuel line until firm.
2. Set the throttle position (in neutral) to 1/2 throttle.
3. Turn the key and pump the choke switch on and off until it fires.
4. Be ready to reduce rpms to about 1500 until it idles smooth.
5. If it starts to die just bump the choke again quickly and it will pick
back up.

I use left hand on throttle and right hand on key so I can reduce throttle
quickly.

Remember - choke on these engines is just a fuel enricher pump and not an
actual carb choke.
--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Dan J.S." wrote in message
I have a Bennington pontoon boat and a Honda 4 stroke 90 HP engine. It

seems
I always have a problem starting this engine, and I am very sure the

problem
is me. This is my procedure, maybe someone can correct me:

1. I pump the throttle handle 3 times. I leave in in neutral and at 25%
throttle.
2. I hold the choke switch and then turn the ignition on.

It seems to never catch on the first 3-4 tries. Only after 4th try do I

even
get a sign of catching, and it lights up on 5th or 6th.

Should I pump more gas at the beginning? I upgraded from a wellcraft boat
with an I/O engine, where more than 3 pumps and you flooded the engine. So
maybe I am just not giving the Honda enough gas at the beginning. Anyone
have a suggestion?

habbi

I have the same engine. I squeeze primer bulb until firm, lift
throttle/choke control lever to its max which activates the choke and hold
there while starting, it always starts in 1 to 2 seconds. If it is cold out
I sometimes have to hold the choke on for a few seconds and the engine
smokes quite a bit and then I bring back down to half throttle for a minute.
"Dan J.S." wrote in message
I have a Bennington pontoon boat and a Honda 4 stroke 90 HP engine. It

seems
I always have a problem starting this engine, and I am very sure the

problem
is me. This is my procedure, maybe someone can correct me:

1. I pump the throttle handle 3 times. I leave in in neutral and at 25%
throttle.
2. I hold the choke switch and then turn the ignition on.

It seems to never catch on the first 3-4 tries. Only after 4th try do I

even
get a sign of catching, and it lights up on 5th or 6th.

Should I pump more gas at the beginning? I upgraded from a wellcraft boat
with an I/O engine, where more than 3 pumps and you flooded the engine. So
maybe I am just not giving the Honda enough gas at the beginning. Anyone
have a suggestion?

Greg

Maybe he is just trying to hard. I don't do anything to my merc 4 stroke except
turn the key.
Tamaroak

I had one of these motors and believe it's the best outboard I ever had.
I never had any starting problems, but flooded it once. I think that's
what you're doing.

I would pump the bulb til it's firm, choke it, give it about one fourth
throttle and turn the key till it starts, and it always started right
away. I think the pumping is causing it to get too much raw gas right
away instead of running in a richer mixture via the choke.

Capt. Jeff