Tony Thomas

Default Starting a Honda outboard question

Outboards do not have accelerator pumps like car engines did when carbed.
Pumping the throttle does nothing. You are not flooded but rather have no
fuel in the carbs so it is taking a long time for the fuel pump (manual) to
get fuel to the system.

1. Pump the fuel bubble back near the engine on the fuel line until firm.
2. Set the throttle position (in neutral) to 1/2 throttle.
3. Turn the key and pump the choke switch on and off until it fires.
4. Be ready to reduce rpms to about 1500 until it idles smooth.
5. If it starts to die just bump the choke again quickly and it will pick
back up.

I use left hand on throttle and right hand on key so I can reduce throttle
quickly.

Remember - choke on these engines is just a fuel enricher pump and not an
actual carb choke.
--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Dan J.S." wrote in message
I have a Bennington pontoon boat and a Honda 4 stroke 90 HP engine. It

seems
I always have a problem starting this engine, and I am very sure the

problem
is me. This is my procedure, maybe someone can correct me:

1. I pump the throttle handle 3 times. I leave in in neutral and at 25%
throttle.
2. I hold the choke switch and then turn the ignition on.

It seems to never catch on the first 3-4 tries. Only after 4th try do I

even
get a sign of catching, and it lights up on 5th or 6th.

Should I pump more gas at the beginning? I upgraded from a wellcraft boat
with an I/O engine, where more than 3 pumps and you flooded the engine. So
maybe I am just not giving the Honda enough gas at the beginning. Anyone
have a suggestion?