John

Default Starting a Honda outboard question

Hi,

First, just call a Honda dealer or Honda Customer service. They will be
able to give you the correct starting procedure.

For what it is worth, I have a Mercury 90 4-Stroke which is really a Yamaha.
I use the following procedure which works well.

1) Pump fuel primer bulb if starting for first time of the day.

2) Leave throttle in neutralnd turn key to start. That is usually all it
takes.

3) Sometimes I have to push the key in which activates the "Choke". I belive
it really is not a choke but a primer pump. That will always get it going.

John

"Dan J.S." wrote in message

"Butch Davis" wrote in message
nk.net...
Dan,

RTFM!! Modern engines should not require throttle "pumping". You are
probably flooding the cylinders by dumping fuel by operating the
accellerator pump.. This can wash the oil coating off the cylinders

prior
to starting. Not a smart move, IMO. Have you tried simply cranking the
engine? Might just work for you.... but try doing as the manual says.

Butch

This is not a Fuel Injected engine. The manual does say to pump the
throttle. I am thinking that maybe I am not doing it enough? However, i

may
be off base. The engine is 2000 model, and the manual I have was printed

off
the web. I presume its the right manual. I know for a fact the engine has

carb. Do you really think I may not need to pump gas?

Thanks
Dan