Butch Davis

Default Starting a Honda outboard question

Dan,

RTFM!! Modern engines should not require throttle "pumping". You are
probably flooding the cylinders by dumping fuel by operating the
accellerator pump.. This can wash the oil coating off the cylinders prior
to starting. Not a smart move, IMO. Have you tried simply cranking the
engine? Might just work for you.... but try doing as the manual says.

Butch
"Dan J.S." wrote in message
I have a Bennington pontoon boat and a Honda 4 stroke 90 HP engine. It

seems
I always have a problem starting this engine, and I am very sure the

problem
is me. This is my procedure, maybe someone can correct me:

1. I pump the throttle handle 3 times. I leave in in neutral and at 25%
throttle.
2. I hold the choke switch and then turn the ignition on.

It seems to never catch on the first 3-4 tries. Only after 4th try do I

even
get a sign of catching, and it lights up on 5th or 6th.

Should I pump more gas at the beginning? I upgraded from a wellcraft boat
with an I/O engine, where more than 3 pumps and you flooded the engine. So
maybe I am just not giving the Honda enough gas at the beginning. Anyone
have a suggestion?