Paul

Default Internet connectivity

Me again, ask, learn, ask, learn.

This one is about internet connectivity. The marina has wireless
connectivity which is great but what are my options underway or at anchor?

Are there any options for a substantial connection, something through which
I could move larger files? I imagine that if cost is no issue then there is
certainly an answer but last time I checked, cost was an issue.

If nothing affordable then even something to beam a few e-mails through
would be good. Maybe I should be looking more closely at those PDAs ... just
replaced my cell phone, wonder if they'll let me return it.

Any of you guys connected while away from the docks? If so, tell us what
rigs you're using and what's good/bad about them.

Lu Powell

My brother uses his cell phone and an adapter on his laptop to connect
to the 'net when he's away from home. It works well for a few short text
messages, though the connect speed of about 14k isn't adequate for a lot
of surfing.

I think he uses Sprint wireless.

"Paul" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
[...]

Tony Thomas

About your only real option for any kind of speed would be satellite such as
directTV. http://directv.direcway.com/
It uses both upload and download from the dish. You can also get TV as
well. Price is not great but it does work and you can adjust the dish for
wherever you are (can't be moving though).

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Paul" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Me again, ask, learn, ask, learn.

This one is about internet connectivity. The marina has wireless
connectivity which is great but what are my options underway or at anchor?

Are there any options for a substantial connection, something through

which
I could move larger files? I imagine that if cost is no issue then there

is
certainly an answer but last time I checked, cost was an issue.

If nothing affordable then even something to beam a few e-mails through
would be good. Maybe I should be looking more closely at those PDAs ...

just
replaced my cell phone, wonder if they'll let me return it.

Any of you guys connected while away from the docks? If so, tell us what
rigs you're using and what's good/bad about them.

noah

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 22:51:30 GMT, "Tony Thomas"
wrote:

About your only real option for any kind of speed would be satellite such as
directTV. http://directv.direcway.com/
It uses both upload and download from the dish. You can also get TV as
well. Price is not great but it does work and you can adjust the dish for
wherever you are (can't be moving though).

I was wondering about that- wouldn't the slight roll from wave action
screw up the dish "aiming point"?.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
noah

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 20:22:29 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

wrote:

About your only real option for any kind of speed would be satellite such as
directTV. http://directv.direcway.com/
It uses both upload and download from the dish. You can also get TV as
well. Price is not great but it does work and you can adjust the dish for
wherever you are (can't be moving though).

I was wondering about that- wouldn't the slight roll from wave action
screw up the dish "aiming point"?.

=============================================== ==
It absolutely would. The last I knew Direct TV would only certify
their system for internet use if permanently mounted on a fixed
structure, i.e., no boats, no RVs. Based on the chatter I've heard,
DTV's satellite internet service is none too reliable even when used
as intended.

There are other satellite options but they carry very high per minute
charges. Best option I've seen for coastal cruising is either Verizon
or Sprint digital service coupled with an external antenna and an
amplifier. Verizon has better coverage but speed is limited to 14KB
or so, Sprint PCS is supposed to be good for about 90KB. I saw an
actual "on boat" demo recently of Verizon's service and was surprised
at how usable the 14KB service seemed to be. This was without an
external antenna or amp, but was within the NY metro 'burbs area.

Thanks.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

Steve

That is just what I'm doing this summer while onboard my boat in the Pac.
NW.

I'm using Verison 500 min., with free long distance and roaming plan..

I check my email and check the these news groups about 3 time a day and my
connect time is running about 2 to 4 min. each time.

I set up an new email account and ask everyone I exchange email with, to use
plain text only, no attachments, no html and please don't include the
message I had sent them.. (some people just don't understand how slow 14.4
kbs is..)

So far the spammers haven't discovered my new address (I'm not using it for
this NG response).

Since I'm anchoring offthe shoreline of some upscale homes, I'm thinking of
using a wireless card/reciever with some special antenna and connecting
through any Wi-Fi hub that I can find. (My son does that in the Bay Area all
the time.)

I'll let you-all know how that trick works out.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Yachtbroker

other options. www. kvh.com has mobile direc pc buts its very expensive. 5k
last time I looked and its only satellite download.

www. seatel.com seatel's new
wavecall 3000. This is the one I bought the phone works great but never did
get the touted internet 56k to work. probably will only I lost interest in
fiddling with it.
it would connect and quickly disconnect. they offer compression service as an
additional fee from global star.
I wanted it for bahamas cruising. ended up going ashore for needed weather maps
etc.
another option:
if you are doing only u.s. cruising and are you are fairly secure when you want
to connect you can... connect via cell uplink, and download with direcpc one
way.
now called direcway. the one way is the old system but works great for me. only
thing is you have to be sure your cell
phone connection will connect via analog connection. I am dailing up aol
through
direcpc as we speak. you can buy a used one way ssytem on ebay for cheap if you
look.

the mobile two sat system for RV's is called motosat see motosat.com
(I think) I called them and they absolutely refuse to install on a boat.

hope this helps.

Gould 0738

Since I'm anchoring offthe shoreline of some upscale homes, I'm thinking of
using a wireless card/reciever with some special antenna and connecting
through any Wi-Fi hub that I can find. (My son does that in the Bay Area all
the time.)

I'll let you-all know how that trick works out.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Sailors! :-)

(The wind is free so everything else ought to be.)
Steven Shelikoff

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 12:24:56 GMT, "Paul" wrote:

Me again, ask, learn, ask, learn.

This one is about internet connectivity. The marina has wireless
connectivity which is great but what are my options underway or at anchor?

Are there any options for a substantial connection, something through which
I could move larger files? I imagine that if cost is no issue then there is
certainly an answer but last time I checked, cost was an issue.

If nothing affordable then even something to beam a few e-mails through
would be good. Maybe I should be looking more closely at those PDAs ... just
replaced my cell phone, wonder if they'll let me return it.

Any of you guys connected while away from the docks? If so, tell us what
rigs you're using and what's good/bad about them.

I have an old Ericsson R380W cellphone. It's a PDA/cellphone combo that
works pretty good for email. Does IMAP, POP and SMTP access to your
normal ISP's mail account. Also does WAP for sites that are WAP
enabled, which places like yahoo are so you can access your yahoo mail
accounts without having to upgrade to the POP/SMTP option. With the
little onscreen keyboard, it's fast and easy enough to use for email
that I don't even use it with a laptop on the boat. But I have tried it
as a modem for my laptop and it does that very well also, over the
serial line or infrared. However, connection speeds are limited to 14k
so you aren't going to be transferring very large files.

They are being liquidated on ebay brand new for around $70. All you
need is to have a GSM service like TMobile or ATT, take the SIM card out
of the phone they give you and plug it into the R380W and you're in
business. And for cruisers, it'll work pretty much anywhere in the
world that has cell service, as GSM is the most popular service outside
the US.

Steve
Michael Sutton

About your only real option for any kind of speed would be satellite such as
directTV. http://directv.direcway.com/
It uses both upload and download from the dish. You can also get TV as
well. Price is not great but it does work and you can adjust the dish for
wherever you are (can't be moving though).

I was wondering about that- wouldn't the slight roll from wave action
screw up the dish "aiming point"?.
noah

KVH or someone with a similar name makes a dish that can
be used while in full motion, spinning on an anchor, and rolling.

It's not cheap though... (hense me not testing it yet).