noah

Default Internet connectivity

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 20:22:29 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On 4 Aug 2003 18:05:14 -0500, noah
wrote:
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 22:51:30 GMT, "Tony Thomas"
wrote:

About your only real option for any kind of speed would be satellite such as
directTV. http://directv.direcway.com/
It uses both upload and download from the dish. You can also get TV as
well. Price is not great but it does work and you can adjust the dish for
wherever you are (can't be moving though).

I was wondering about that- wouldn't the slight roll from wave action
screw up the dish "aiming point"?.

=============================================== ==
It absolutely would. The last I knew Direct TV would only certify
their system for internet use if permanently mounted on a fixed
structure, i.e., no boats, no RVs. Based on the chatter I've heard,
DTV's satellite internet service is none too reliable even when used
as intended.

There are other satellite options but they carry very high per minute
charges. Best option I've seen for coastal cruising is either Verizon
or Sprint digital service coupled with an external antenna and an
amplifier. Verizon has better coverage but speed is limited to 14KB
or so, Sprint PCS is supposed to be good for about 90KB. I saw an
actual "on boat" demo recently of Verizon's service and was surprised
at how usable the 14KB service seemed to be. This was without an
external antenna or amp, but was within the NY metro 'burbs area.

Thanks.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats