NOYB

Default OT--Ping: To all who keep warning me of a housing bust in Naples

Deep-pocketed buyers steering Naples market clear of bust talk
By GINA EDWARDS
September 18, 2005

When home prices hit the outer stratosphere, the number of potential buyers
admittedly shrinks. But the Naples luxury market is still in boom mode,
local agents say, despite forecasts of a housing bubble that some predict
eventually must burst.

A slowdown?

"I just don't see it," said Bill Earls, an agent for John R. Wood, who
specializes in ultra-high-end homes.

Earls had a $20 million month in July and said, "I think I've topped that
out in August."

The $24.8 million Gordon Drive estate of billionaire Campbell Soup heiress
Dorrance H. Hamilton flew off the market in less than a week when it was
listed in May. That sent tongues wagging in real estate circles.

The 7,000-square-foot beachfront house at 4444 Gordon Drive and its quick
sale grabbed national headlines for John R. Wood Inc. listing agents Merry
Coolidge and Bruce Babcock following the home's closing in July. Barbara
Chur, whose husband made his fortune in nursing homes, bought the estate,
which includes a separate guest house and Naples Bay frontage across Gordon
Drive.

The sale price wasn't a record for Naples, but the speed of the sale very
well may have been.

Agents say they had buyers lining up.

"I had someone right behind them," says Prudential Florida WCI agent Jackie
May, who specializes in Port Royal.

The multiple listing service shows just more than 450 homes and lots on the
market now priced at $2 million or more. Of those, close to 100 are priced
at $5 million and more.

Collier County Property Appraiser records show that more than 1,400
properties sold for more than $1 million from January through August.

Surprisingly, local agents say there was no summer slowdown in the high-end
market. But, although the luxury market is active, price appreciation
appears to be slowing somewhat, agents say.

Emily K. Bua, of Premier Properties, said she's not seeing as much
appreciation in the $4 million to $10 million market as in the past. Bua
said she doesn't see prices dropping, either.

"There's tremendous appreciation in the under $2 million market," Bua said.

Land values, as always, are dictating prices. Homes built in the '80s or
'90s in Port Royal and Old Naples are mostly considered tear-downs now.

"If they're not brand new, the houses are free," May said. "The ground has
just appreciated so much."

And the ground is especially rich if it's sand.

Agents say prices for beachfront lots are fetching between $70,000 and
$80,000 per foot of beachfront - thus adding between $10 million and $12
million for typical 150-foot-wide lots on Gordon Drive.

Tearing down and building new gives buyers bigger homes, higher ceilings,
and what Earls calls "the new sexy appliances."

But what buyers want most is a beautiful view, agents say.

"The bigger the view, the more it is," May said.

Many high-end buyers are already here and they want more house or more
water, May said. Some retired executives think they'll only spend a little
time in Naples, but they end up staying here a lot, she said.

Fundamentally, agents say demand from high net worth clients is strong.

More and more newcomers are discovering the market, local agents say. They
are top flight executives and increasingly they're hailing from the
Northeast and out West - a departure from the traditional Midwestern crowd.
Europeans, particularly from Germany and England, are coming in greater
numbers, too.

"There are a lot of people just discovering Naples," Bua said.

Naples has had positive national press of late and its charity wine auction,
the Naples Winter Wine Festival, attracts big spenders from all over the
world.

"I think the wine festival has brought a lot of attention to the Naples
market," Bua said.

What's most encouraging to Earls is this: "I'm seeing a good, healthy influx
of new people," he said. "I think our market has broadened."

Although the market appears flush with mega-mansions for sale, Earls said
homes are turning over and sales are brisk.

"I have 30 listings after selling $200 million (this year)," Earls said.

Overall, he said, he's up 10 percent more than last year.

One thing that gives Bua confidence in the health of the luxury market is
it's not as prone to profiteering.

"The market over $4 million or $5 million is end-users," Bua said. "The
market under $2 million has a lot of investors in it."

Agents typically define the luxury market in Naples as homes and condos
valued at $4 million and more. There's a big range in between though. May
estimates Port Royal's largest estate could be worth as much as $100
million.

For now, Coolidge and Babcock - who sold the $24.8 million estate in less
than a week - have bragging rights on speed of a mega-sale.

The four-bedroom, 4½ bath estate home built by Newbury North Associates and
designed by architect Jerry DeGennaro features dark wood paneling with
tropical decor and such luxuries as an exercise and massage room off the
master suite. Across Gordon Drive, a four-bedroom guest house and caretaker
house front Naples Bay.

"We had appointments one on top of the other," Coolidge said. "We were
hardly even ready to show it to the market place."

The top price for a home and property - $30 million paid in April 2001 for a
beachfront and bay lot combination - still holds.

High-end agents seem to be scrambling for the next record luxury sale. It
could be a cell phone call away.

http://naplesnews.com/npdn/news/arti...089510,00.html

NOYB

Mo

Naples-Marco market No. 1 for home price appreaciation
By GINA EDWARDS

September 18, 2005

Handicapping a real estate bubble has become a national obsession, if not a
national pastime.

And the Southwest Florida market is still grabbing the national spotlight.

The Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight says the Naples-Marco
Island metro area is No. 1 in the nation for home price appreciation for the
second quarter ending June 30, compared with the same time last year.

Single-family homes appreciated 35.6 percent during that time.

The Cape Coral-Fort Myers metro area ranks No. 9 in the country at 29.84
percent appreciation. Punta Gorda in Charlotte County ranks No. 12 on the
list with homes appreciating 29.39 percent during the year.

"We're not seeing any evidence whatsoever of prices topping out," said
Andrew Leventis, an economist for the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise
Oversight.

Nationwide, homes appreciated 13.4 percent on average, according to the
federal index. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Mansfield, Ohio, and
Lafayette, Ind., had the lowest appreciation for the second quarter in the
nation, both coming in at less than 1 percent.

Overall, income levels and low interest rates are fueling home prices on a
macro level, Leventis said. In Florida - and Naples in particular - demand
from buyers appears strong.

"We hear of demand being high for second homes there," Leventis said.

Local agents say brisk sales in the luxury market appear to be boosting the
area's median sales price, even as some sales in the lower end of the market
have slowed.

"The number of transactions on the high end has increased," said Joe
Ballerino, owner of Amerivest Realty.

Ballerino said the lower end of the Naples market - which he describes as
properties at less than $750,000 - appears to be leveling off somewhat.

The Florida Association of Realtors reported Naples' median single-family
home price for July at $490,400, up 31 percent compared with July 2004.

Closings in Collier County in August were up 24 percent compared with the
same time last year, according to MLS data compiled by Amerivest Realty of
Naples.

Year to date, closings were 6,613 from January to August, compared with
6,494 for the same time last year.

Another national group, the National Association of Realtors, reported in
August that the Fort Myers-Cape Coral Metropolitan Statistical Area ranked
second in the nation for median home price appreciation for the second
quarter, with the median price up 45.2 percent from the same time a year ago
to $266,800.

NAR doesn't include the Naples area in its ranking.

"NOYB" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

Starbuck

NYOB,
Harry and Kevin are the only ones who are upset that you have done so well
with the housing market. They are jealous.

--

Starbuck

.... Arsonists of the world, ignite!
"NOYB" wrote in message
et...
[...]

"NOYB" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

NOYB

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:42:30 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

When home prices hit the outer stratosphere, the number of potential
buyers
admittedly shrinks. But the Naples luxury market is still in boom mode,
local agents say, despite forecasts of a housing bubble that some predict
eventually must burst.

A slowdown?

You will get your turn and sooner than later.

It's already starting up here in NE.

I figure that once the NE slows, we'll soon follow. They'll be a slowdown,
but never a correction. There are too many baby boomers looking to retire
down here. The SW coast of Florida used to be mostly midwesterners. But
the housing prices in the midwest aren't keeping pace with the prices down
here. So we're seeing more buyers from the NE, the West, and overseas.

NOYB

"Starbuck" wrote in message
NYOB,
Harry and Kevin are the only ones who are upset that you have done so well
with the housing market. They are jealous.

Actually, it really seems to bother DSK the most. He has sent the most
doomsday warnings my way...but he is followed closely by Gould.

Starbuck

Harry,
You said you still owned a home in St. Augustine, and would move back there
when you return to Fl. Did you forget that story also?

--

Starbuck

"You are accustomed to ostracism from childhood because you are overweight,
deformed, stupid, or have an extremely short [deleted]."
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
"Starbuck" wrote in message
NYOB,
Harry and Kevin are the only ones who are upset that you have done so
well with the housing market. They are jealous.

Actually, it really seems to bother DSK the most. He has sent the most
doomsday warnings my way...but he is followed closely by Gould.

As usual, Smithers is wrong. I'm neither jealous nor upset about your
paper gains. I simply don't have much use for your part of Florida from
April through mid-November, and for the rest of the year, it is too dull
and small-townish for my taste. I far prefer NE Florida, because it has
actual seasons and a pretty mild winter, and, while it on occasion is
walloped by storms, it happens with far less frequency than your area.

If I move back to Florida full-time someday, it'll be between Daytona and
the St. Mary's River.

As for your housing investment, well, that's your business. Your mortgage
is of a far riskier variety than I would want on my personal home. I also
speculate in real estate, but not the way you do.

--
- - -
George W. Bush, our hero!

I've been GASJACKED!

Harry.Krause

"Starbuck" wrote:
Harry,
You said you still owned a home in St. Augustine, and would move back
there when you return to Fl. Did you forget that story also?

No, I made that up.

thunder

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:07:34 +0000, NOYB wrote:

I figure that once the NE slows, we'll soon follow. They'll be a
slowdown, but never a correction. There are too many baby boomers
looking to retire down here. The SW coast of Florida used to be mostly
midwesterners. But the housing prices in the midwest aren't keeping pace
with the prices down here. So we're seeing more buyers from the NE, the
West, and overseas.

You bought your house for the right reasons, as a place to live and
additionally, long term. I don't see you at risk, long term, but geez,
"never a correction." All the warning signs are there. I read somewhere
that speculators are a third of your market. You have people in the
industry openly denying the bubble will burst. Guy, remember "bust" is
part of the "boom and bust" cycle. It ain't an "if", it's a "when".

NOYB wrote:
"Starbuck" wrote in message
NYOB,
Harry and Kevin are the only ones who are upset that you have done so well
with the housing market. They are jealous.

Actually, it really seems to bother DSK the most. He has sent the most
doomsday warnings my way...but he is followed closely by Gould.

DSK doesn't have to work hard to beat my number of warnings; I sent you
one.

Get thou to Amazon.com and purchase a book: Extraordinary Popular
Delusions and the Madness of Crowds.

Then sing along:
All Around the Hurricane Zone
Where wages are in trouble
The housing prices rise and rise
'Til "pop" goes the bubble.

You know, NOYB, at one time I was under the impression you had a couple
of bucks or so. People with money don't launch a thread to to announce
"look how well I'm doing financially." Besides, how many houses do you
own in Naples. One?
Que lastima, Doc. That's not an investment- (unless you decide to go
pitch a tent down on the beach and rent it out). If you sell it for
$99999999999999.00, you'll surely have to spend at least as much to buy
another. You're no richer, and no poorer than if your house were worth
$29,000.....you still need a place to live. Until you don't need a
place to live, you can't extract a dime.

bb

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:18:09 -0400, thunder
wrote:

All the warning signs are there. I read somewhere
that speculators are a third of your market. You have people in the
industry openly denying the bubble will burst. Guy, remember "bust" is
part of the "boom and bust" cycle. It ain't an "if", it's a "when".

Unless, of course, hyper-inflation makes current housing prices seem
like a bargain in a few years.

I find it interesting to hear all the talking heads saying there's no
real problem with inflation. From my perspective there's been
tremendous inflation over the last few years, yet the "official" rate
of inflation is mild. I think what's happening in gold is a good sign
of what's about to happen in our economy. If you can make a dollar
worth $.20, paying off all the dept and entitlement won't hurt the
wealthy folks who control the country nearly as much.

bb