Default What is the White House hiding NOW?

According to JimH's analogy, this is on topic, because it may be of
concern to someone who owns a boat!!!

White House won't let Democrats look at some of Roberts' writings
Paul Richter, Los Angeles Times

Monday, July 25, 2005

Printable Version
Email This Article

Washington -- Defying Senate Democrats, the Bush administration will
withhold some documents written by Supreme Court nominee John Roberts
while he worked for earlier Republican administrations, advisers to the
White House said Sunday.

The documents, written while Roberts worked in President Ronald
Reagan's White House and President George H.W. Bush's Justice
Department, will be withheld on grounds of attorney-client privilege,
they said on Sunday news shows. But some Democratic senators disputed
the need to keep them secret, and argued that precedent suggests they
should be released.

Roberts, 50, worked in the Reagan White House counsel's office from
1982- 86. He served in the Justice Department of the first President
Bush as principal deputy solicitor general.

Fred Thompson, a lawyer, actor and former Republican senator who is
advising the nominee, said that releasing documents written while
Roberts was deputy solicitor general would bring to light "internal
documents, memos about ongoing recommendations and positions." He
compared them to privileged conversations with a priest, a physician or
a spouse.

"There are lots of good reasons why (making them public) is a bad
idea," Thompson said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, appearing on three of the Sunday
news shows, warned that releasing internal documents written by Justice
Department lawyers "does chill communications between line attorneys
and their superiors within the Department of Justice."

On "Fox News Sunday" he characterized the documents as "very sensitive,
very deliberative information, not something that the administration or
any White House would be inclined to share, because it is so
sensitive."

Thompson, who served three decades ago as the chief counsel to the
Republicans on the Senate Watergate Committee, contended that leaders
in both parties, from "(Watergate special prosecutor) Archibald Cox on
down," have believed that such documents should be withheld.

But Sen. Patrick J. Leahy of Vermont, the top Democrat on the Senate
Judiciary Committee, disputed that there was a lawyer-client privilege.

"It's a total red herring to say, oh, we can't show this," he said on
ABC's "This Week."

He said Chief Justice William Rehnquist, former federal appeals court
judge Robert Bork, former Attorney General Edwin Meese III and others
had given up documents written while they worked for the Justice
Department.

"Those working in the solicitor general's office are not working for
the president," Leahy said. "They're working for you and me, and all
the American people." He said there was much precedent for providing
such documents.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., appearing on ABC, said he believed the
administration might be able to release material written by Roberts
when he was in the solicitor general's office, but not when he was in
the White House counsel's organization.

Monday, July 25, 2005

[...]

It's the Bush mis Administration, and everything is a secret.

Harry, several Democrats who held the same position in democrat
administrations say that giving up the documents is not a good idea as it
will limit the future conversations between the president and his solicitor
general. Imagine what will happen when Hillary becomes president.

NOYB

Jeff Rigby wrote:
Imagine what will happen when Hillary becomes president.

A special prosecutor will be appointed to investigate Bush and Cheney,
they'll be indicted by a federal grand jury, and Bush will have to write
on a blackboard 1000 times, "I lied about WMDs and I knew I was lying."
Cheney will do the perp walk right out of Halliburton's board room, and be
forced to live with a poor Mexican family on the Texas-Mexico border and
be forced to shuck corn for a living, his assets having been seized and
divided up among the families of those US troops killed in Bush's war.

Dream...the impossible dream.

P. Fritz

nk.net...

Jeff Rigby wrote:
Imagine what will happen when Hillary becomes president.

A special prosecutor will be appointed to investigate Bush and Cheney,
they'll be indicted by a federal grand jury, and Bush will have to write
on a blackboard 1000 times, "I lied about WMDs and I knew I was lying."
Cheney will do the perp walk right out of Halliburton's board room, and

be
forced to live with a poor Mexican family on the Texas-Mexico border and
be forced to shuck corn for a living, his assets having been seized and
divided up among the families of those US troops killed in Bush's war.

Dream...the impossible dream.

It is more proof that harry is living in an alternate reality and needs
psychiatric help.

HarryKrause wrote:
Jeff Rigby wrote:
Imagine what will happen when Hillary becomes president.

A special prosecutor will be appointed to investigate Bush and Cheney,

Not likely. If the R's still held a majority in Congress, a special
prosecutor would be appointed the day after her inauguration to plague
HC with innuendos and investigate a series of ridiculous, trumped up
charges for the rest of her administration. Maybe Ken Starr is still
available. (It makes wonderful grist for the right wing hate radio
hosts).

Jeff Rigby

Jeff Rigby wrote:
Imagine what will happen when Hillary becomes president.

A special prosecutor will be appointed to investigate Bush and Cheney,
they'll be indicted by a federal grand jury, and Bush will have to write
on a blackboard 1000 times, "I lied about WMDs and I knew I was lying."
Cheney will do the perp walk right out of Halliburton's board room, and be
forced to live with a poor Mexican family on the Texas-Mexico border and
be forced to shuck corn for a living, his assets having been seized and
divided up among the families of those US troops killed in Bush's war.

No Harry, after this latest episode in the continuing Muslim war on the rest
of us (10-15 years and 2-3 presidents from now) maybe he can then come out
with the real reasons for this war. I suspect that even that won't convince
you of it's legitimacy. You will just become quiet on this issue when a
democrat president continues the same policy.

Hopefully the democrat party is moving to the center. The loss of many (13)
labor unions to the AFL-CIO because of their support for the democrat party
regardless of the political payback means that the democrat party is going
to have to work harder for the mainstream support they garnered from the
AFL-CIO union. Their policies now have to move center or they are finished
as a political party. Because congress has passed legislation that limits
new spending, they can't buy the vote, they have to earn it with a rational
policy that looks to the LONG term interests of the country.

When Hillary becomes president she hopefully, because of what Bush does now,
will have the confidence that her private conversations on policy matters
with her solicitor general will remain private.

Jeff Rigby

Jeff Rigby wrote:
Imagine what will happen when Hillary becomes president.

No Harry, after this latest episode in the continuing Muslim war on the
rest of us (10-15 years and 2-3 presidents from now) maybe he can then
come out with the real reasons for this war. I suspect that even that
won't convince you of it's legitimacy. You will just become quiet on
this issue when a democrat president continues the same policy.

Are you saying there are "real" reasons for Bush's war that he hasn't
claimed? Jeez...what's left?

A military Staging base in the area so that we can respond to threats to the
worlds oil as well as threats of state sponsored terrorism. That should be
understood by anyone, look at a map. Why do you think we attracted so much
fire by being there?

Example of a democracy in that region thriving and having on-air (televison
and radio news) reports of the happenings in the region not filtered thru a
state sponsored station (propaganda).

A ready supply of soldiers that will fight for US. Before you scoff at that
idea, think of all the children whose parents or siblings have been killed
by terrorists. When they grow up they will want revenge against the
terrorists. Give them a gun and point them in the right direction.

Striking fear into dictatorships in that region and around the world. "Look
how easy you can be toppled".

etc etc.

Hopefully the democrat party is moving to the center. The loss of many
(13) labor unions to the AFL-CIO because of their support for the
democrat party regardless of the political payback means that the
democrat party is going to have to work harder for the mainstream support
they garnered from the AFL-CIO union.

The unions pulling out temporarily right now are not doing so because of
labor support for democrats. There is no AFL-CIO union, by the way. The
federation is just that. Individuals are not members of the AFL-CIO.

When Hillary becomes president she hopefully

That's an interesting comment. I don't see hillary becoming president. But
if she runs, I certainly will vote for her.

Tim

Of course. Everyone knows Bush can't spell well enough to write at the
blackboard. ..."

Possibly so, but I bet he knows what "is" , is

Tim wrote:
Of course. Everyone knows Bush can't spell well enough to write at the
blackboard. ..."

Possibly so, but I bet he knows what "is" , is

How do you know that?

Jeff Rigby

Jeff Rigby wrote:
[...]

I hope you realize my post was made in fun. I really don't expect any
self-respecting family of Mexicans to take in a loser like Bush.

[...]

They pulled out because the AFL-CIO was spending too much time supporting an
ideology (the democrat left) and not enough time supporting the unions.
Membership is down, many of the union members are red state democrats and
are more centrist if not decidedly right of the democrat party and they balk
at their money being spent on the current democrat party. I expect that the
13 unions that split from the federation of unions will support ANY
politition that is good for the union rather than just democrats. Thats as
it should be. These 13 unions will probably get more done for the unions
than the AFL-CIO does.

When Hillary becomes president she hopefully

That's an interesting comment. I don't see hillary becoming president. But
if she runs, I certainly will vote for her.

It's possible for a conservative democrat to win election next term. More
than possible I'd say all things being equal. But if the democrats put up
another liberal the republicans will win.