*JimH*

Default Gas Grills

Note: Not OT as gas grills are used by many at their boat docks.

We purchased a nice Ducane gas grill for the house 13 years ago and despite
replacement of the burners and coals it is now on its last leg.

So.....we are looking for recommendations from the gas grill users out
there.

We are considering this Vermont Castings unit (VM450SSP) from Home Depot:
http://tinyurl.com/76azj

It is not cheap but was listed number 4 by Consumers Report on gas grill
assessment in their June, 2005 magazine. The 3 grills rated before this one
were either in the $1,000+ range or had smaller cooking areas and less BTU
output.

We like the stainless steel burners, high BTU output, relatively nice size
of the main grill cooking area and warranty. Downside is the price.

We use our grill throughout the year and are looking for good performance
and a long life for the price.

Does anyone have any experience with this grill or can you offer a
suggestion on another?

bb

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:15:09 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

Note: Not OT as gas grills are used by many at their boat docks.

I can't say enough good things about my Weber propane grill. We live
a block off of salt water, so it takes its abuse. It's outside with
no cover. I cook on it probably 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year. It's
held up extremely well. Weber's customer service is second to none. I
can't even say how long ago I bought it, but it almost never needs
service. Even if Chuck G doesn't live up to your standards for
impartial, objective commentary, I still recommend a Weber.

bb

Bill McKee

"*JimH*" wrote in message
news
[...]

Just bought a new gas grill. Wife likes the gas, I love my offset firebox
smoker. Got a all stainless unit at Costco. Looks just like the Ducane
from HD. Was $499. Nicer price than the Ducane,

Bill McKee

"HarryKrause" wrote in message
*JimH* wrote:
[...]

For you, I'd suggest a can of Sterno and some Ballpark franks.
Get someone to show you how to open the can.

--
Let's pray the United States survives the rest of Bush's term.

Do not judge others by your cooking skills.

Jack Goff

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:16:35 -0400, HarryKrause
wrote:

For you, I'd suggest a can of Sterno and some Ballpark franks.
Get someone to show you how to open the can.

In other words, Harry doesn't have a clue, as usual.

Jack

Bert Robbins

wrote:

For you, I'd suggest a can of Sterno and some Ballpark franks.
Get someone to show you how to open the can.

In other words, Harry doesn't have a clue, as usual.

It must suck to be Harry or Chuck due to the fact that their cachet in this
newsgroup has gone form being knowledgable boaters and feared in a written
duel to being laughed at everytime they post.

Me, I have now illusions about my status in the newsgroup!

Netsock

nk.net...

*JimH* wrote:
[...]

Thats for sure. Leave it to our boatless village idiot, to hijack yet
another thread.

Hes nothing more than a lying sack of sh*t...

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/

*JimH* wrote:
[...]

I don't use gas. I've got a weber charcoal grill, and a New Braunfel
smoker. I grill everything from pizza, meatloaf, lasagna, etc., along
with the usual fare. The smoker I use to slow smoke pork butts, leg of
lamb, beef, chicken, turkey etc. I've studied bbq techniques a LOT. I
have no use for gas. You should go to a decent bbq contest, it will
change you forever, you'll get the fever!

wrote:

For you, I'd suggest a can of Sterno and some Ballpark franks.
Get someone to show you how to open the can.

In other words, Harry doesn't have a clue, as usual.

Jack

And YOUR contribution to the thread was???????

Netsock

"*JimH*" wrote in message
news
Note: Not OT as gas grills are used by many at their boat docks.

Also on boats. Ive seen small (butain?) grills mounted on the stern of some
boats, and of course virtually every houseboat has one.

On our houseboat share on Lake Cumberland, it is a stainless 2 burner
Char-Broil...I dont know that model, but myself...I am a Weber man.

At home on the deck, I have a Weber Summit Gold B4 piped to the houses
natural gas. It is a 4 burner, with a side burner, and a rotisserie. I use
this one when I dont want to mess with charcoal, or am roasting something. I
can tell you, it is the best grill Ive ever owned by a long shot. These
upper end grills are designed to last 20 years, and on these grills, you can
get any part for them.

But its the 22" Weber kettle that gets the most use. Methinks charcoal
grills provide better flavor, and I have cooked so much on it, I can cook
just about anything perfectly on it. Its more of a pain, I know, but I
havent grown lazy enough to go to gas 100%...yet.

I also have a Weber Smokey Mountain "bullet" smoker for great ribs, brisket,
pork butt/shoulder, and chicken. Its always fun getting up at dawn, and
doing a 10 or 12 hour smoke...

But anyway, the best maintenence you can do to your grill is AFTER you use
it. Clean it when it is still warm, and as soon as it cools, empty the
charcoal/grease catch, and spray down the grills/grates/burners with a
little (spray can) vegtable oil. I use oven cleaner once a year, and give
'em a good power wash inside and out. A good cover is a must as well, when
not in use. My 22" is over 10 years old, and still looks almost brand new.

Good luck.