Curtis CCR

bb wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:15:09 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

Note: Not OT as gas grills are used by many at their boat docks.

I can't say enough good things about my Weber propane grill. We live
a block off of salt water, so it takes its abuse. It's outside with
no cover. I cook on it probably 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year. It's
held up extremely well. Weber's customer service is second to none. I
can't even say how long ago I bought it, but it almost never needs
service. Even if Chuck G doesn't live up to your standards for
impartial, objective commentary, I still recommend a Weber.

I have a Weber Genesis Silver B. It has held up well for 7 years being
used 2-3 times a week all year. Swapped the porclain covered burner
bars with stainless a couple of years ago, but nothing has failed on
it.

Only complaint - uneven heat.

The burners are not designed to provide even gas pressure from one end
to the other, so the right side of the grilling area is hotter than the
left. Not a big deal for most of my cooking needs, but if you try to
cook 20 burgers at once, using the entire grilling surface, the stuff
on the right cooks faster.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for rotissere cooking unless I try to put
two things on the spit at once.

I should note that I didn't pay for this grill. I received it as a
gift from my employer. Satisfied enough that I kept it and use it
regularly. But if I was going to spend my own $$$ on new one, I would
look at others.

Curtis CCR

But anyway, the best maintenence you can do to your grill is AFTER you use
it. Clean it when it is still warm, and as soon as it cools, empty the
charcoal/grease catch, and spray down the grills/grates/burners with a
little (spray can) vegtable oil. I use oven cleaner once a year, and give
'em a good power wash inside and out. A good cover is a must as well, when
not in use. My 22" is over 10 years old, and still looks almost brand new.

I will atest to that. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have
had a Weber Genesis Silver B for seven years. It is not a stainless
unit, but I get many compliments on its conditions when people hear ho
wmuch I use it and how old it is. I clean it to some degree after each
use and I keep it covered - - I am amazed that cover is still 100%
intact after sitting outdoors for as long as I have the grill...

But a couple of months I got a bit remiss about cleaning the grease
pan. Well...

"Honey!? Do we have any baking soda?"

"Yeah!"

"Could you grab it and bring it out to me... like right now?"

"WHY!?!?"

"Uh. The barbeque is on fire."

"What do mean, 'the barbeque is ON FIRE'?"

"This isn't the kind of fire you want in the barbeque.... could you
hurry it up a bit please?...."

Needless to say, I had a bigger clean up job after that incident.
Cleaning up all the baking soda - stuff got everywhere - and it's
corrosive if not cleaned up promptly.

*JimH*

Thanks for all the advice folks. It is much appreciated and will help us
with our eventual purchase.

Maynard G. Krebbs

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:15:09 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

Note: Not OT as gas grills are used by many at their boat docks.

We purchased a nice Ducane gas grill for the house 13 years ago and despite
replacement of the burners and coals it is now on its last leg.

So.....we are looking for recommendations from the gas grill users out
there.

We are considering this Vermont Castings unit (VM450SSP) from Home Depot:
http://tinyurl.com/76azj

It is not cheap but was listed number 4 by Consumers Report on gas grill
assessment in their June, 2005 magazine. The 3 grills rated before this one
were either in the $1,000+ range or had smaller cooking areas and less BTU
output.

We like the stainless steel burners, high BTU output, relatively nice size
of the main grill cooking area and warranty. Downside is the price.

We use our grill throughout the year and are looking for good performance
and a long life for the price.

Does anyone have any experience with this grill or can you offer a
suggestion on another?

We got a Weber with the natural gas burners and got a
plumber/pipefitter to run a natural gas line with a quick-connect to
the patio. We put the other quick-connect on the grill inlet hose.
Worked like a charm. (My wife does the grilling because I was born
without the BBQ gene. )
I could do sausage and burgers while she could cook turkeys and all
sorts of large food I would have made charcoal out of.
We loved the Weber.
Mark E. Williams
Curtis CCR

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:

[snip]
We got a Weber with the natural gas burners and got a
plumber/pipefitter to run a natural gas line with a quick-connect to
the patio. We put the other quick-connect on the grill inlet hose.

[snip]

How much did they charge you to run the gas line? Did you need to
permit it, and was it a problem with a quick-disconnect?

We moved a couple of months ago and once again didn't have gas line at
the laundry facility for our dryer. This time I decided I had better
things to do so I called a plumber.

Gas was available in the furance closet on the other side of the wall
from the dryer. Three fittings and valve to extend the line maybe 5
feet total with a simple wall penatration.

The first estimate was nearly $700! "What the hell?!" This plumber's
explanation was that gas line installs and mods have such high
liability that the cost is always a shock to customers, adding the
average a gas job is about $1,200.

"Most people usually just say 'to heck with it' and go buy an electric
dryer, " he joked. He then proceeded to explain to me exactly what he
would do. Exactly what I would do. . . And I did. . . for about $35.

Curtis CCR wrote:

"Most people usually just say 'to heck with it' and go buy an electric
dryer, " he joked. He then proceeded to explain to me exactly what he
would do. Exactly what I would do. . . And I did. . . for about $35.

The thing about it, it isn't hard to seal connections when the natural
gas operating pressure, after the meter is only about 4 psi.

Curtis CCR

Bill McKee wrote:
Get a permit and an inspection. Then when you sell, all is OK. The permit
devision will normally even give you some advice.

I think you guys have misunderstood my post. I am not looking for
advice. I was asking about the guys experience and cost of having a
gas line installed so I can compare to what I ran into - high priced
plumbing work.

I am not concerned about the status of the gas line I ran for my dryer.
I have two close relatives that are long time building inspection
officials, and the next time they are over for visit I will check on
permitting requirements.

The last time asked about this (in a previous home where I had a nearly
identical situation) I seem to recall that I didn't need a permit to
add less than 10 ft of gas pipe. I assume that this is still pretty
much the case as neither of the two licensed plumbers I asked to
estimate the job had anything in the estimates about permits or
inspections.

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
oups.com...
Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:

[snip]
[...]

P. Fritz

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
oups.com...
Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:

[snip]
We got a Weber with the natural gas burners and got a
plumber/pipefitter to run a natural gas line with a quick-connect to
the patio. We put the other quick-connect on the grill inlet hose.

[snip]

How much did they charge you to run the gas line? Did you need to
permit it, and was it a problem with a quick-disconnect?

In most municipalities.......you need a permit for everything (like
replacing a HW. heater)............it is their way of generating $$$ and
ngetting a peek inside your house............in reality.....most people
don't pull permits for work like that.

We moved a couple of months ago and once again didn't have gas line at
the laundry facility for our dryer. This time I decided I had better
things to do so I called a plumber.

Gas was available in the furance closet on the other side of the wall
from the dryer. Three fittings and valve to extend the line maybe 5
feet total with a simple wall penatration.

The first estimate was nearly $700! "What the hell?!" This plumber's
explanation was that gas line installs and mods have such high
liability that the cost is always a shock to customers, adding the
average a gas job is about $1,200.

You should always get multiple quotes, it is amazing what some of these
guys try to charge to the unknowing homeowner. ( I just got quotes for
removing three large trees - emeral ash borer got them - one was $3700, the
other $2400...that is a helluva difference)

Curtis CCR wrote:
Bill McKee wrote:
Get a permit and an inspection. Then when you sell, all is OK. The permit
devision will normally even give you some advice.

I think you guys have misunderstood my post. I am not looking for
advice. I was asking about the guys experience and cost of having a
gas line installed so I can compare to what I ran into - high priced
plumbing work.

Bill gives everyone advice, most of it bad. He's even advocated getting
a molded car coolant hose, cutting it, or kinking it, or whatever, to
fit a boat motor. That could have the potential of disaster, and even
death, when it would be quite easy to get the correct hose, or at least
a flex hose.