*JimH*

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

"*JimH*" wrote in message
news
Note: Not OT as gas grills are used by many at their boat docks.

We purchased a nice Ducane gas grill for the house 13 years ago and
despite replacement of the burners and coals it is now on its last leg.

So.....we are looking for recommendations from the gas grill users out
there.

We are considering this Vermont Castings unit (VM450SSP) from Home Depot:
http://tinyurl.com/76azj

It is not cheap but was listed number 4 by Consumers Report on gas grill
assessment in their June, 2005 magazine. The 3 grills rated before this
one were either in the $1,000+ range or had smaller cooking areas and
less BTU output.

We like the stainless steel burners, high BTU output, relatively nice
size of the main grill cooking area and warranty. Downside is the price.

We use our grill throughout the year and are looking for good performance
and a long life for the price.

Does anyone have any experience with this grill or can you offer a
suggestion on another?

Just bought a new gas grill. Wife likes the gas, I love my offset firebox
smoker. Got a all stainless unit at Costco. Looks just like the Ducane
from HD. Was $499. Nicer price than the Ducane,

Thanks for the heads up on that grill Bill. We just bought the same thing.
Home Depot wanted $699 for it....at Costco it was $499....exact same grill
as you said. 100% 300 grade stainless steel. Very nice.

Bill McKee

The permits are really cheap, but the Calif. home sale disclosures are so
bad anymore, they can come back for 10s-100's of thousand $$$ for minor
stuff.

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
Get a permit and an inspection. Then when you sell, all is OK. The
permit
devision will normally even give you some advice.

I think you guys have misunderstood my post. I am not looking for
advice. I was asking about the guys experience and cost of having a
gas line installed so I can compare to what I ran into - high priced
plumbing work.

I am not concerned about the status of the gas line I ran for my dryer.
I have two close relatives that are long time building inspection
officials, and the next time they are over for visit I will check on
permitting requirements.

The last time asked about this (in a previous home where I had a nearly
identical situation) I seem to recall that I didn't need a permit to
add less than 10 ft of gas pipe. I assume that this is still pretty
much the case as neither of the two licensed plumbers I asked to
estimate the job had anything in the estimates about permits or
inspections.

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
oups.com...
Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:

[snip]
We got a Weber with the natural gas burners and got a
plumber/pipefitter to run a natural gas line with a quick-connect to
the patio. We put the other quick-connect on the grill inlet hose.
[snip]

How much did they charge you to run the gas line? Did you need to
permit it, and was it a problem with a quick-disconnect?

We moved a couple of months ago and once again didn't have gas line at
the laundry facility for our dryer. This time I decided I had better
things to do so I called a plumber.

Gas was available in the furance closet on the other side of the wall
from the dryer. Three fittings and valve to extend the line maybe 5
feet total with a simple wall penatration.

The first estimate was nearly $700! "What the hell?!" This plumber's
explanation was that gas line installs and mods have such high
liability that the cost is always a shock to customers, adding the
average a gas job is about $1,200.

"Most people usually just say 'to heck with it' and go buy an electric
dryer, " he joked. He then proceeded to explain to me exactly what he
would do. Exactly what I would do. . . And I did. . . for about $35.

Bill McKee

wrote in message
oups.com...

Curtis CCR wrote:
Bill McKee wrote:
Get a permit and an inspection. Then when you sell, all is OK. The
permit
devision will normally even give you some advice.

I think you guys have misunderstood my post. I am not looking for
advice. I was asking about the guys experience and cost of having a
gas line installed so I can compare to what I ran into - high priced
plumbing work.

Bill gives everyone advice, most of it bad. He's even advocated getting
a molded car coolant hose, cutting it, or kinking it, or whatever, to
fit a boat motor. That could have the potential of disaster, and even
death, when it would be quite easy to get the correct hose, or at least
a flex hose.

What is different about a molded car coolant hose from a molded boat coolant
hose? And having a friends mother lose most of the sale price of her house
over a minor, undisclosed item, that she did not even know about, I
recommend getting any permits needed.

Bill McKee

"*JimH*" wrote in message

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

"*JimH*" wrote in message
[...]

Glad to be of help.

P. Fritz

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Curtis CCR wrote:
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

cripes. kevin is turning this into another schnapps is whiskey
thread............

and he wonders why he is still the "King of the NG idiots"

P. Fritz

"*JimH*" wrote in message

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Curtis CCR wrote:
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

more like $16.50

Maynard G. Krebbs

On 21 Jul 2005 21:24:30 -0700, "Curtis CCR"
wrote:

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:

[snip]
We got a Weber with the natural gas burners and got a
plumber/pipefitter to run a natural gas line with a quick-connect to
the patio. We put the other quick-connect on the grill inlet hose.

[snip]

How much did they charge you to run the gas line? Did you need to
permit it, and was it a problem with a quick-disconnect?

story snipped

I don't really remember as it was about 25 years ago and in Calif.
We were having a pool and hottub put in the back yard and he just teed
off the gas line for the hottub heater while he was running it. The
pool/tub stuff was all permited but I don't think the
tee/quick-connect was.
Mark E. Williams
Netsock

"P. Fritz" wrote in message
and he wonders why he is still the "King of the NG idiots"

Sorry, but even Kevin cant knock down the reigning champion, Harry "The
Liar" Krause.

Our own village idiot...

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/