John H

Default Vehicle for Towing boat

On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:21:14 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:55:23 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

How old is it?

It's a '95.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

I have a 2004 Chevy crew cab and love it. Just took a 700 mile round trip
this weekend with the camper on the truck and averaged a little less than
than 16 mpg at 70 mph. this included a lot of mountain running. SF bay
area to Eureka, Calif for a graduation ceremony. Mine is a 3/4T diesel.
And just turned over 2k miles when getting home last night. The crew cab
will carry 5 people in comfort, and haul all the rest of the stuff. My 99
Expedition will carry 8 people, but would have trouble with the rest of the
stuff. Messes up the leather.
Bill

OK! Tell me more about that diesel. My mechanic, the small truck guy at the
local GMC place, tells me not to get the diesel next time. He says they're
having problems with the Duramax (?). Any experience there?

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Marshall Banana

Also Sprach trainfan1 :

The RX300 is supposed to be a pretty decent tow vehicle.

Please post back and let us know how he did with the transmission trouble.

It's been an ongoing issue for a few months now. Dealer keeps throwing
parts at it hoping to fix it. He seems to think it is a problem external
to the tranny, apparantly there are several things that can cause the
computer to go into a limp mode and not engage the OD... but it hasn't
stored any trouble codes, so who knows. I know for sure that so far, they
have replaced two temperature sensors that are supposed to keep the tranny
from going into OD until it is warmed up. Each time, the OD seems to work
when the dealer is done with it, but stops working, sometimes in 30
minutes, sometimes a few weeks.

Dan

--
I bet even my own urine would taste good in Seattle.

-- Chris Sidi
Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Doug Kanter :

more than a 21' center console with an outboard. FYI, he used to tow it
with a Dodge Caravan, which was on it's third transmission when he sold
it. He "upgraded" to a Lexus RX300, which now has mysteriously lost it's
overdrive.

Does the Lexus have a transmission cooler?

I assume so, he bought it with a towing package. It's the older body
style, BTW. 2001, I think. I know the Caravan had one, because I
installed it.

Dan

--
It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to
need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of

--Douglas Adams, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish (Wonko the Sane)
Calif Bill

"John H" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:21:14 GMT, "Calif Bill"

wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

They had a problem on the earlier motors. Was bad seals on the injectors.
I do know of one guy who also has the new LLY diesel, that is getting ready
for a buyback on the truck. Dumps fuel via the #7 injector randomly. At
250 miles, I went to get the camper, Palomino Bronco-800 pop-up slide in.
From Stockton to Sacramento on I-5, fairly flat, I averaged 19 mpg at 70
mph. Coming back at same speed on US-99 I got 13.7 with the camper. sticks
above the cab probably 12" Wife also read the manual that stated to not
exceed 55 for first 500 miles, and not tow for same 500. Comes with a 100k
mile warranty on the motor. Does not have a problem with the 1000# camper
and traveling down the road and over the hills. Can accelerate going up
steep hills at 60 mph to pass slow drivers. Motor is 300 hp in 1st and 5th,
and 350 hp in 2,3,4 gear. Mine is a shortbed, as I still want to be able to
turn in less than a city block. Does not turn as tight as my 99 Expedition,
but is the same length as a Suburban I think. Just turn 2000 miles on
Sunday returning from Arcata. Seats are very comfortable, and wife says
back seat is even more comfortable. I have the LT package. Is quiet in the
cab, and the diesel does not rattle very loud anyway. Is much quieter than
the older cummings.
Bill

basskisser

John H wrote in message
OK! Tell me more about that diesel. My mechanic, the small truck guy at the
local GMC place, tells me not to get the diesel next time. He says they're
having problems with the Duramax (?). Any experience there?

John H

Why, need one to haul your pictures of little girls in the "biblical sense"?
Calif Bill

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
John H wrote in message
OK! Tell me more about that diesel. My mechanic, the small truck guy at

the
local GMC place, tells me not to get the diesel next time. He says

they're
having problems with the Duramax (?). Any experience there?

John H

Why, need one to haul your pictures of little girls in the "biblical

sense"?

Better buy a bigger liability policy. Getting to the point where you may be
able to lose your home via a defamation suit.

Dan Krueger

The "300" means 3.0 liter engine - the new RX330 has a 3.3 liter engine but
still has a 3500# towing capacity. I had an Acura MDX with a 3.5 liter that was
rated for 4500 lbs and it was fine for my 19.5' center console (flat roads here
in FL). I just upgraded to a new SUV with a 4.4 liter V8 and a 6000 towing
capacity so I can get a bigger boat.

Dan

wrote:

On 18 May 2004 00:48:29 GMT, Marshall Banana wrote:

He "upgraded" to a Lexus RX300, which now has mysteriously lost it's
overdrive.

Is he towing the boat with the Lexus RX300? Which engine does it have?

Dave Skolnick

RGrew176 wrote:
Keep in mind that Ford's engine manufacturing tolerances are measures in
feet, instead of thousandths of an inch, like Toyota's. So, even if Ford's
reliability ratings are close to Toyota's, the Ford will be puking burnt

oil
out of the tailpipe from the minute it's driven away from the dealer's

lot.

Chevy & Chrysler aren't far behind.

Something must be terribly wrong with my old 89 F-150 with the 5.0 (302)
engine. 294000 miles and still not burning a drop of oil. It has been used as a
tow vehicle too.

'00 F250SD Ext Cab w/ V10 & 5 spd. Tow, push a snow plow, overload the
bed fairly regularly. Doesn't burn oil at around 50k miles.

The '90 Ranger w/ V6 didn't burn oil at 120k miles when I replaced it
with the F250. It got punished pretty badly also.

Ford has their share of troubles (I bought stock right BEFORE the
Firestone tire debacle and the Explorer roll-overs sigh) but I think
you are off base on the oil-burning characterization.

dave

--
-----
news_bucket e-mail address goes to a blackhole. Sorry. Send e-mail to

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM