Doug Kanter

Default Vehicle for Towing boat

You knew that was an exaggeration, to prove a point.

wrote in message
news
Darn, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Ford 302 with pistons off

sized
by feet instead of thousandth's of an inch....

That would be amazing to see....

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Sat, 15 May 2004 19:41:21 GMT, "Tony Thomas"

wrote:

First of all - I think you have drastically underestimated the

weight.
According to the SeaRay website - the 21' Sport has a dry weight of

3150
lbs. Add 40 gallons of fuel (240 lbs) battery, life jackets, all

your
stuff
and your at 3500 lbs for the boat. Now add another 1000 lbs (or

more)
for
the 21' trailer (I assume it is tandem axle w/ brakes) and your at

4500
lbs.
4500 lbs is way too much for a minivan to tow and not destroy the
transmission.
Look at SUVs or 4 door trucks. And remember, if the vehicle is rated

for
4900 lbs, 4500 is going to be a real load at highway speeds and you

will
not
maintain 70 mph going up an kind of a hill. You need something rated

for
5500 lbs or so to make it a comfortable tow.

Based on the weight calculated by Tony, you'll need a tow vehicle with

V8.
BTW, for my 21' Center console I bought a LoadRite galvanized,

tandem-axle
trailer with disk brakes on all four wheels last fall and it weighs

1,250
pounds. The Tundra has the best reliability rating in "Consumer

Reports"
magazine and the Ford F-150 is next. You can get either one with an
extended cab or a double-size cab. For an SUV, the Toyota 4-Runner

rates
very high and it has been available with a V8 beginning with the 2003

model
year.

Based on what I hear from an acquaintance who visits the 3 American
manufacturers, helping them set up their machining equipment:

Keep in mind that Ford's engine manufacturing tolerances are measures in
feet, instead of thousandths of an inch, like Toyota's. So, even if

Ford's
reliability ratings are close to Toyota's, the Ford will be puking burnt

oil
out of the tailpipe from the minute it's driven away from the dealer's

lot.
Chevy & Chrysler aren't far behind.

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam

On Sun, 16 May 2004 00:31:00 GMT, something compelled "Doug
Kanter" , to say:

Keep in mind that Ford's engine manufacturing tolerances are measures in
feet, instead of thousandths of an inch, like Toyota's. So, even if Ford's
reliability ratings are close to Toyota's, the Ford will be puking burnt oil
out of the tailpipe from the minute it's driven away from the dealer's lot.

Yeah, I heard that. It's why I insisted on an F-150 built by
elves in Switzerland. One hundred forty thousand miles later its
lederhosen has yet to fall down around its ankles.
Bill Kiene

Hello V,

The minivans all tow about 3500# max with a trailer towing package. That is
cutting it pretty close.

A Toyota Tacoma double cab with a V6 and a towing package can pull ~5000#
max.

To be safe I would think that you would want to have a vehicle that can tow
~5000#.

This will probably be a 4 door pickup or an SUV ? but they won't get 30mpg
on the free way. Maybe 20 not pulling.

If you don't need to tow your boat all the time, I would get a new mini van
and get someone to pull your boat.

Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"V Crenshaw" wrote in message
m...
My husband and I have a 21 foot Searay. We have it in a slip at a marina
now.
Together it and the trailer weighs 3000 lbs.

We are going to buy a new vehicle and we are trying to decide what kind
would
most closely meet our criteria of
1) hauling misc things like building materials, tools, an occasional
sofa or washing machine
2) Holding 4 or more people
3) towing the boat
4) As fuel efficent as possible

Truck would be great for everything except the people and fuel. We were
thinking about
a minivan, but don't know how good it would be at towing the boat and more
specifically
launching the boat. I say minivan because he likes them better than

SUV's.

Any advice would be appreciated.

V Crenshaw

Slambram

On Sat, 15 May 2004 15:49:16 GMT, "V Crenshaw"
wrote:

[...]

You do NOT want anything with front wheel drive if you plan on
launching and retrieving your boat at a ramp. This rules out most
minivans. The only ones I remember being RWD were the old Aerostars
and Safaris. Especially on steeper ramps, all of the weight will be
shifted away from your front wheels and you'll get no traction. I
usually only see FWD vehicles launching jet-skis and small fishing
boats. As a matter of fact, a few years ago a FWD minivan ended up at
the bottom of the lake at the ramp I go to because he lost traction...
Paul Schilter

Doug,
For the record Ford's engines are measured in microns. The leaking oil
issue hasn't been around for years. Have you driven a Ford lately?
Paul

wrote:

[...]

Based on the weight calculated by Tony, you'll need a tow vehicle with a

[...]

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach V Crenshaw :

We are going to buy a new vehicle and we are trying to decide what kind
would
most closely meet our criteria of
1) hauling misc things like building materials, tools, an occasional
sofa or washing machine
2) Holding 4 or more people
3) towing the boat
4) As fuel efficent as possible

Easy. You want a diesel Suburban. To me, "building materials" means the
ability to carry multiple 4X8 sheets of plywood or drywall or
whatever. You're not going to do that with a minivan or short SUV. 4 or
more people means a standard pickup won't do, and a full-bed crewcab is an
ungodly huge vehicle. A 3000 lb boat is really stretching a minivan to
it's limit, but will be very comfotable behind a 'burb. As far as fuel
efficiency goes, a friend of mine with a '97 Diesel 3/4 ton 2WD gets 21
MPG, which Is far better than the 17 MPG I used to get with a much
smaller Nissan Pathfinder. Now, I have a 1990 Suburban, regular gas, 3/4
Ton 4X4 and get 12-14, or 8 if towing the boat... but's that's why I keep
my VW as a daily driver.

--
I shoot for the moon, but sometimes I hit London

-- Werner von Braun

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM