V Crenshaw

Default Vehicle for Towing boat

My husband and I have a 21 foot Searay. We have it in a slip at a marina
now.
Together it and the trailer weighs 3000 lbs.

We are going to buy a new vehicle and we are trying to decide what kind
would
most closely meet our criteria of
1) hauling misc things like building materials, tools, an occasional
sofa or washing machine
2) Holding 4 or more people
3) towing the boat
4) As fuel efficent as possible

Truck would be great for everything except the people and fuel. We were
thinking about
a minivan, but don't know how good it would be at towing the boat and more
specifically
launching the boat. I say minivan because he likes them better than SUV's.

Any advice would be appreciated.

V Crenshaw

John H

On Sat, 15 May 2004 15:49:16 GMT, "V Crenshaw" wrote:

[...]

Here you go:
http://www.gmc.com/gmcjsp/sierra/ind...geName=#model2

I don't have the crew cab, but I love mine.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
trainfan1

V Crenshaw wrote:

[...]

1. Toyota Sienna.

2. Honda Odyssey.

I'm not really a big fan of either marque (I am a die-hard in the Ford
camp), but these get the job done well. They have like 220-240 hp V-6
engines and very respectable towing ratings, lots of room for passengers
and/or cargo, and neither one really seems like the stereotypical
mini-van in handling & appearance. My first choice would be the Sienna.

Rob

Doug Kanter

"V Crenshaw" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You should get better mileage with a "normal" transmission like you'll find
in minivans, as opposed to the truck gear ratios in SUVs & pickups. If you
insisted on a pickup, take a look at the Toyota Tundra. I believe they make
a double cab. I've got the double cab Tacoma (smaller), and it's quite
comfortable for passengers in the back, even my 6'1" son who refuses to stop
growing. But, I'm not sure if it'll be happy towing 3000 lbs on a regular
basis.

Tony Thomas

First of all - I think you have drastically underestimated the weight.
According to the SeaRay website - the 21' Sport has a dry weight of 3150
lbs. Add 40 gallons of fuel (240 lbs) battery, life jackets, all your stuff
and your at 3500 lbs for the boat. Now add another 1000 lbs (or more) for
the 21' trailer (I assume it is tandem axle w/ brakes) and your at 4500 lbs.
4500 lbs is way too much for a minivan to tow and not destroy the
transmission.
Look at SUVs or 4 door trucks. And remember, if the vehicle is rated for
4900 lbs, 4500 is going to be a real load at highway speeds and you will not
maintain 70 mph going up an kind of a hill. You need something rated for
5500 lbs or so to make it a comfortable tow.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"V Crenshaw" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Ree-Yees

How far are you going to have to drive to get to your drop in point? That
can make a big difference too, whether you will be driving right down the
road or out in the interstate.

--C

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
[...]

"V Crenshaw" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
On Sat, 15 May 2004 19:41:21 GMT, "Tony Thomas"

wrote:

First of all - I think you have drastically underestimated the weight.
According to the SeaRay website - the 21' Sport has a dry weight of 3150
lbs. Add 40 gallons of fuel (240 lbs) battery, life jackets, all your

stuff
and your at 3500 lbs for the boat. Now add another 1000 lbs (or more)

for
the 21' trailer (I assume it is tandem axle w/ brakes) and your at 4500

lbs.
4500 lbs is way too much for a minivan to tow and not destroy the
transmission.
Look at SUVs or 4 door trucks. And remember, if the vehicle is rated for
4900 lbs, 4500 is going to be a real load at highway speeds and you will

not
maintain 70 mph going up an kind of a hill. You need something rated for
5500 lbs or so to make it a comfortable tow.

Based on the weight calculated by Tony, you'll need a tow vehicle with a

V8.
BTW, for my 21' Center console I bought a LoadRite galvanized, tandem-axle
trailer with disk brakes on all four wheels last fall and it weighs 1,250
pounds. The Tundra has the best reliability rating in "Consumer Reports"
magazine and the Ford F-150 is next. You can get either one with an
extended cab or a double-size cab. For an SUV, the Toyota 4-Runner rates
very high and it has been available with a V8 beginning with the 2003

model
year.

Based on what I hear from an acquaintance who visits the 3 American
manufacturers, helping them set up their machining equipment:

Keep in mind that Ford's engine manufacturing tolerances are measures in
feet, instead of thousandths of an inch, like Toyota's. So, even if Ford's
reliability ratings are close to Toyota's, the Ford will be puking burnt oil
out of the tailpipe from the minute it's driven away from the dealer's lot.
Chevy & Chrysler aren't far behind.

Darn, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Ford 302 with pistons off sized
by feet instead of thousandth's of an inch....

That would be amazing to see....

wrote:

[...]

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM