Ree-Yees

Default Vehicle for Towing boat

How far are you going to have to drive to get to your drop in point? That
can make a big difference too, whether you will be driving right down the
road or out in the interstate.

--C

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
First of all - I think you have drastically underestimated the weight.
According to the SeaRay website - the 21' Sport has a dry weight of 3150
lbs. Add 40 gallons of fuel (240 lbs) battery, life jackets, all your

stuff
and your at 3500 lbs for the boat. Now add another 1000 lbs (or more) for
the 21' trailer (I assume it is tandem axle w/ brakes) and your at 4500

lbs.
4500 lbs is way too much for a minivan to tow and not destroy the
transmission.
Look at SUVs or 4 door trucks. And remember, if the vehicle is rated for
4900 lbs, 4500 is going to be a real load at highway speeds and you will

not
maintain 70 mph going up an kind of a hill. You need something rated for
5500 lbs or so to make it a comfortable tow.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"V Crenshaw" wrote in message
m...
My husband and I have a 21 foot Searay. We have it in a slip at a

marina
now.
Together it and the trailer weighs 3000 lbs.

We are going to buy a new vehicle and we are trying to decide what kind
would
most closely meet our criteria of
1) hauling misc things like building materials, tools, an occasional
sofa or washing machine
2) Holding 4 or more people
3) towing the boat
4) As fuel efficent as possible

Truck would be great for everything except the people and fuel. We were
thinking about
a minivan, but don't know how good it would be at towing the boat and

more
specifically
launching the boat. I say minivan because he likes them better than

SUV's.

Any advice would be appreciated.

V Crenshaw