Mr Wizzard

wrote in message
oups.com...
You may find a lot of the $875 in those two numbers.

Maybe if you are including sales tax, surely not just for registration.

***********

I have reason to suspect the OP may be from the Puget Sound area or
possibly CA.

I just today renewed the WA state tabs on "Indulgence" (all out boat
tabs expire June 30 each year). Just under $400. It always gripes me
that documented boats have to pay the same tab fees as boats with state
titles, but it's easy to see why this is so when considering the
state's perspective. My boat is worth at least a little bit more than
the boat MR. Wizzard is considering- but still even the least expensive
boat carries a walloping tab tax around here. I can't imagine that a
trailer would license for much less than $75 or so.
And sales tax on $11k? At almost 9% that's almost a $Geazle right
there. The $875 would exceed the license fees for the boat and trailer,
but it would be accurate around here to say that a "lot" of that $875
cold be consumed by tabs and registration fees.

Ah, very good logic. And yeah, this would be WA state tabs too.
So listen, thanks for all the wonderfull info in this thread, its been
very very helpfull - more so then I expected, so thanks so much !!

Mr Wizzard

wrote in message
ups.com...
Was your "total cost" inclusive of tax and license?

I think he said $12,875 or something like that.
And that was total, out the door, tax, license, etc...

What are sales tax and license fees in your state?

WA state tax is what, 8.6% or somehting like that ?

Because taxes and license fees will vary so much from one state to
another, it's usually better to compare net prices than figures "out
the door."

no the total cost with tax and license was 12300. i refused to have the

taxes and license in the loan

*********

So you paid $11,500 for the boat, plus tax and license for a total of
$12,300.

That sounds like about the same deal Mr. Wizzard is looking at,
roughly. You must have a fairly low tax rate if you got by with tax on
$11.5k and registration fees for only $800.

katekebo

I bought the 175 four months ago. My two cents:

1) There is little (no) room for negotiation in the base price of
$9,995. Adding dealer prep charges and sales tax, you should expect to
pay approx. $12,000, (excluding any dealer installed options). You
should also add some basic safety equipment (as per Coast Guard
requirements) - this would bring the price to about $12,300. $12,875
without any accessories or optional equipment looks a little bit high.
I paid $12,800 for my boat including safety package, bimini top and
boat cover.

2) It's a great entry level boat. It is very solid and the hull
performs very well. Despite the low price, it is as good (or better)
as any higher priced boat in the same size category in terms of
structural strength and performance / handling. The standard trailer
that comes with the boat is OK. The built quality is also fine - I
have not found any obvious quality issues with my boat, nor other 3
identical boats I inspected before making the purchase. The negatives
that come with the low price a
- no options (engines, electronics, etc.)
- very basic (but functional) interior
- it lacks the "sexy" look of more expensive boats (simple paint job,
"boxy" windshield)

3) The 3.0 engine has enough power for regular use, including sking.
It is simple, reliable and relatively easy and cheap to maintain.
Spare parts and service are available everywhere. My boat runs 26 mph
at 3000 rpm with 2 adults + 2 children, and WOT speed is close to 45
mph (at 4800 rpm). But the best thing is fuel economy. I can enjoy a
full day on the water burning less than 10 gal of fuel.

4) You don't say how and where are you going to use the boat. Because
of its size and design, the Bayliner 175 is not an "ocean liner" or
serious off-shore boat - nor any other 17 or 18 ft runabout would be.
But it's great to boat around on lakes and rivers. I use mine on lake
Pontchartrain in Louisiana and surronding rivers and bayous. For the
people not familiar with lake Pontchartrain, it is 20 miles wide and 40
miles long, and usually has a nasty 2 ft chop. The 175 delivers a safe
and dry (although sometimes bumpy) ride on our lake, and I have never
had any issues or safety concerns, even when caught once right in the
middle of the lake in "small craft advisory" conditions.

Net, great entry level boat to enjoy every weekend without worrying
about breaking the bank. It does not have the looks and the extra
details of similar sized boats that cost 30 to 50% more, but it is easy
to enjoy with the family.

Mr Wizzard

Well, then thats about right then. I called Olympic Boat center and
had them spell out hte charges. The missing money is the $550 in
what they call "rigging" - the putting on of the outdrive, battery,
assembly etc. They are stiff, lemme tell ya... I even called other
Olympic boatcenters - FIRM! - $12,750 out the door, not a penny
cheaper.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Was your "total cost" inclusive of tax and license?

What are sales tax and license fees in your state?

Because taxes and license fees will vary so much from one state to
another, it's usually better to compare net prices than figures "out
the door."

Mr Wizzard

"katekebo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Excelent review! - very helpfull. (you guys are 'arite!) Bottom line here
is $12,875, and they won't budge. So we're real close (dollar wise),
so I guess this is a good deal. First big boat (above my 9.5 Zodiac Zoom
with a brand new Jonson 8), so just moving slow here. I'm close to getting
the gumption to just say, ah ****, lets just do it.

As far as what I'd be doing with it? - well, whatever I *can* do with it.
Lots of local lakes here, and just to get it out on the ocean/Lake
Washington,
Puget Sound, or whatever/wherever I can safely go with it.

katekebo

A couple of more after-thoughts...

The price I paid included registration (until 2008) in Louisiana.
Also, I can't quite understand the term "rigging" - the boat should
come with the battery, etc. included. But still, $12,800 or a little
bit more is a good price for such a boat.

Although I did not have any problems with my boat - the engine is
running smooth, the transmission cables are well adjusted, etc., I did
identify one defect which, if not corrected immediately, could be a
safety issue - the bilge pump was not working because one of the cable
connections was loose. Being a mechanically-inclined person, I
corrected the problem myself before taking the boat on the water.
Also, I do the basic maintenance (oil change, etc.) myself. However, I
have read few posts on web forums from people who had some problems
with their new 175's - engine alarm not working, engine running rough,
etc. So before taking the boat home, go for a test ride with the
dealer and make sure that ALL problems (regardless of how small) get
corrected. Don't play with safety, make sure that the boat is in 100%
perfect conditions before taking it to open waters. And demand that
all defects are corrected under warranty to your complete
satisfactions. If the dealer does not respond, contact Bayliner
(Brunswick Marine) directly - usually they give good customer service.

If you want more information about your new boat and help from other
Bayliner users, check the following link:
http://pub12.ezboard.com/bbocweb

Good luck with you new boat. Enjoy it.

Mr Wizzard wrote:
"katekebo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Garth Almgren

Around 6/23/2005 4:06 PM, wrote:

You may find a lot of the $875 in those two numbers.

Maybe if you are including sales tax, surely not just for registration.

***********

I have reason to suspect the OP may be from the Puget Sound area or
possibly CA.

I just today renewed the WA state tabs on "Indulgence" (all out boat
tabs expire June 30 each year). Just under $400.

One advantage to owning a 39-year-old 14': I'm sitting here looking at
my new orange tabs and a registration certificate that says $16.25.

It always gripes me
that documented boats have to pay the same tab fees as boats with state
titles, but it's easy to see why this is so when considering the
state's perspective. My boat is worth at least a little bit more than
the boat MR. Wizzard is considering- but still even the least expensive
boat carries a walloping tab tax around here. I can't imagine that a
trailer would license for much less than $75 or so.

Don't get me started on trailer tabs. I used to pay less than my boat's
fee for the trailer tabs (~$12 or so), and here comes our very own
horse's ass named Eyman with his $30 tabs. Great for people with
expensive cars, negligible for those of us with inexpensive cars,
horrible for anyone who uses public roads, and NO EXCEPTIONS WHATSOEVER
for those of us who /used/ to pay less than $30. "If it's got wheels and
is used on public roads," as the licensing agent explained. Even the
smallest of utility trailers would be charged the same. Now, the darn
*trailer tabs* costs me $38.75, so I'm paying more than double my boat's
tabs and more than triple what I used to, for a "vehicle" that only gets
used an average of a couple dozen times a year.

Yeah, it's still just chump change, but for the price to more than
triple? That's completely absurd.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
Garth Almgren

Around 6/24/2005 7:42 PM, Mr Wizzard wrote:

They are stiff, lemme tell ya... I even called other
Olympic boatcenters - FIRM! - $12,750 out the door, not a penny
cheaper.

Well, late June in the PNW is probably not the best time to try and
haggle with boat dealers over small-margin boats...

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
-Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

2005 West Marine catalog announed [email protected] General 23 March 5th 05 02:48 PM
Bayliner 185 [email protected] General 14 June 19th 04 10:20 PM
BAYLINER BASHERS.. Maxx1676 General 75 June 5th 04 12:37 AM
New one on me - Laminate Flooring Black-n-Gold General 117 October 16th 03 06:50 PM
Bayliner Bashing JML General 8 August 5th 03 01:04 PM