Mr Wizzard

Default 2005 Bayliner 175 run about, should I buy?

Looking at a 2005 Bayliner 175 runabout (Capri), and wondering if anyone has
recommendations on it.
Bayliner web sire says $9,995, but Olympic Boat centers say $12,875 out the
door (tax and set up charge).

Q: -how flexible are dealers with this $9,999 "M.S.R.P." business? How
flexible are dealers in general ?
-what of the 2005 175 (3.0/A-1) in general? The Merc 3.0/A-1 has a
pretty proven track record, right?

Thanks in advance!

Do they itemize the remaining portion of the $2880 that isn't sales
tax? (Sales tax should be about $900, right?)

As far as "how flexible are dealers with the $9,999 MSRP?" Obviously
very. They flexed *up* almost $2k.

There probably isn't much profit in that boat at $9,999.
Often isn't on leaders, and the $9999 price has been the advertised
MSRP on the entry level boat for a long time. Costs have been climbing
while the price has not, so the only thing that can give way is profit.
The dealer may be required to purchase a certain number of the loss
leaders, but cannot be compelled to sell them at a price the factory
"suggests".

The dealer might actually need to ask for the additional dough over and
above MSRP to make the deal pencil; in which case the builder is to
blame for publishing an unrealistic MSRP just as much as the dealer is
to blame for failing to follow the "manufacturer's suggeston".

Mr Wizzard

8.?% sales tax, yea, and like $997 for destination/prep (stated on the
Bayliner site),
but don't know where the balance of the "$12,875 out the door price is".
I'll ask.

Thanks for this info - it gives me a much better insight. Don't know if
dickering
with this MSRP is even worth it since I see how much more the 185's and
195's
are. For example, the 185 jumps up to $16,???, and the 195 like 18K+.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Well it's pulling a bit closer into reality.

If the Bayliner site discloses a $997 destination charge, then the
actual MSRP is
really about $11k rather than $9995.

Add 8.8% to $11k, and you're up to within a short spit of $12k.

They should be able to account for that last $875 somewhere, maybe its
a charge for bottom paint, custom pinstripes, a fancy wax job, etc.
Odds are almost 100% that whatever is being charged out at $875 cost
only a small portion of that number...BUT, that said, the dealer needs
to make a profit to stay in business.

There are two perspectives available in a situation like this. The
first is to get all hung up on the horrible reality that the boat
dealer sells boats for more than he pays for them and go into some funk
because somebody will make a very small profit along the line. Not a
suggested approach. The second is to simply compare all the new boats
you can buy for $128XX out the door, (or whatever you budget dictates)
and pick and choose between them to get the one you like the most and
will serve you best.

As you have noticed- there is almost *no* competition in the Under-$13k
out the door for new boat, motor and trailer category. Almost reduces
the question to do you like it or not and do you choose to afford it or
not, as the list of competing offers won't be especially long.
One reason you won't run into a lot of wheeling and dealing on that
model is the margins are so darn skinny that the dealer's bottom line
won't change much regardless whether you buy the boat or not.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:08:33 -0700, "Mr Wizzard"
wrote:

Looking at a 2005 Bayliner 175 runabout (Capri), and wondering if anyone has
recommendations on it.
Bayliner web sire says $9,995, but Olympic Boat centers say $12,875 out the
door (tax and set up charge).

Q: -how flexible are dealers with this $9,999 "M.S.R.P." business? How
flexible are dealers in general ?

I read an article about these boats a year or so ago - they are made
in Mexico and are considered an "entry" level boat, but they do carry
a certain markup for the manufacturer. What the dealer charges above
and beyond the MSRP is his business. Strangely, the MSRP is usually a
price above what the dealer will usually deal for - this is an
interesting anomaly.

Marine USA is selling that boat for $10,995 which is about what I
would expect including dealer prep, delivery, etc. With tax in this
state, registration, etc, about $11,500.

Offer him $10,995.

-what of the 2005 175 (3.0/A-1) in general? The Merc 3.0/A-1 has a
pretty proven track record, right?

Don't know, but it's the engine/boat combination you are getting for
that price - no other options.

It's a good entry level boat if that's what you are looking for.

Woodchuck

All depends what and where you are boating along with what you expect the
boat to perform like. Years ago I looked at the same boat but passed after
top speeds were only 30mph and I felt it didn't have enough power for my
family members who wanted to learn how to water ski.

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
Looking at a 2005 Bayliner 175 runabout (Capri), and wondering if anyone
has
recommendations on it.
Bayliner web sire says $9,995, but Olympic Boat centers say $12,875 out
the
door (tax and set up charge).

Q: -how flexible are dealers with this $9,999 "M.S.R.P." business? How
flexible are dealers in general ?
-what of the 2005 175 (3.0/A-1) in general? The Merc 3.0/A-1 has a
pretty proven track record, right?

Thanks in advance!

Note about the "missing" $875........it occurs to me that the math thus
far hasn't included anything for license and registration of the boat
and the trailer. You may find a lot of the $875 in those two numbers.

seeray28

on june 1 of this year I purchased the same boat. total cost was 11500. its
a great little boat but dont expect to go ocean cruising with it. my top
speed is 45 mph with a full tank and 49 almost empty, thats with 2 people on
board and full coolers. As far as ski'ing and tubing, it does fine There is
plenty of power in the little 4 banger.
Good luck you will like the boat
Steve
.. .

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
Looking at a 2005 Bayliner 175 runabout (Capri), and wondering if anyone
has
recommendations on it.
Bayliner web sire says $9,995, but Olympic Boat centers say $12,875 out
the
door (tax and set up charge).

Q: -how flexible are dealers with this $9,999 "M.S.R.P." business? How
flexible are dealers in general ?
-what of the 2005 175 (3.0/A-1) in general? The Merc 3.0/A-1 has a
pretty proven track record, right?

Thanks in advance!

Was your "total cost" inclusive of tax and license?

What are sales tax and license fees in your state?

Because taxes and license fees will vary so much from one state to
another, it's usually better to compare net prices than figures "out
the door."

You may find a lot of the $875 in those two numbers.

Maybe if you are including sales tax, surely not just for registration.

***********

I have reason to suspect the OP may be from the Puget Sound area or
possibly CA.

I just today renewed the WA state tabs on "Indulgence" (all out boat
tabs expire June 30 each year). Just under $400. It always gripes me
that documented boats have to pay the same tab fees as boats with state
titles, but it's easy to see why this is so when considering the
state's perspective. My boat is worth at least a little bit more than
the boat MR. Wizzard is considering- but still even the least expensive
boat carries a walloping tab tax around here. I can't imagine that a
trailer would license for much less than $75 or so.
And sales tax on $11k? At almost 9% that's almost a $Geazle right
there. The $875 would exceed the license fees for the boat and trailer,
but it would be accurate around here to say that a "lot" of that $875
cold be consumed by tabs and registration fees.

2005 West Marine catalog announed [email protected] General 23 March 5th 05 02:48 PM
Bayliner 185 [email protected] General 14 June 19th 04 10:20 PM
BAYLINER BASHERS.. Maxx1676 General 75 June 5th 04 12:37 AM
New one on me - Laminate Flooring Black-n-Gold General 117 October 16th 03 06:50 PM
Bayliner Bashing JML General 8 August 5th 03 01:04 PM