Mr Wizzard

"katekebo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought the 175 four months ago. My two cents:

1) There is little (no) room for negotiation in the base price of
$9,995. Adding dealer prep charges and sales tax, you should expect to
pay approx. $12,000, (excluding any dealer installed options). You
should also add some basic safety equipment (as per Coast Guard
requirements) - this would bring the price to about $12,300. $12,875
without any accessories or optional equipment looks a little bit high.
I paid $12,800 for my boat including safety package, bimini top and
boat cover.

2) It's a great entry level boat. It is very solid and the hull
performs very well. Despite the low price, it is as good (or better)
as any higher priced boat in the same size category in terms of
structural strength and performance / handling. The standard trailer
that comes with the boat is OK. The built quality is also fine - I
have not found any obvious quality issues with my boat, nor other 3
identical boats I inspected before making the purchase. The negatives
that come with the low price a
- no options (engines, electronics, etc.)
- very basic (but functional) interior
- it lacks the "sexy" look of more expensive boats (simple paint job,
"boxy" windshield)

3) The 3.0 engine has enough power for regular use, including sking.
It is simple, reliable and relatively easy and cheap to maintain.
Spare parts and service are available everywhere. My boat runs 26 mph
at 3000 rpm with 2 adults + 2 children, and WOT speed is close to 45
mph (at 4800 rpm). But the best thing is fuel economy. I can enjoy a
full day on the water burning less than 10 gal of fuel.

4) You don't say how and where are you going to use the boat. Because
of its size and design, the Bayliner 175 is not an "ocean liner" or
serious off-shore boat - nor any other 17 or 18 ft runabout would be.
But it's great to boat around on lakes and rivers. I use mine on lake
Pontchartrain in Louisiana and surronding rivers and bayous. For the
people not familiar with lake Pontchartrain, it is 20 miles wide and 40
miles long, and usually has a nasty 2 ft chop. The 175 delivers a safe
and dry (although sometimes bumpy) ride on our lake, and I have never
had any issues or safety concerns, even when caught once right in the
middle of the lake in "small craft advisory" conditions.

Net, great entry level boat to enjoy every weekend without worrying
about breaking the bank. It does not have the looks and the extra
details of similar sized boats that cost 30 to 50% more, but it is easy
to enjoy with the family.

Excelent review! - very helpfull. (you guys are 'arite!) Bottom line here
is $12,875, and they won't budge. So we're real close (dollar wise),
so I guess this is a good deal. First big boat (above my 9.5 Zodiac Zoom
with a brand new Jonson 8), so just moving slow here. I'm close to getting
the gumption to just say, ah ****, lets just do it.

As far as what I'd be doing with it? - well, whatever I *can* do with it.
Lots of local lakes here, and just to get it out on the ocean/Lake
Washington,
Puget Sound, or whatever/wherever I can safely go with it.