basskisser

Default Question about wave action on inland lake.

wrote in message . ..
On 14 Apr 2004 11:12:33 -0700,
(basskisser) wrote:

wrote in message . ..
Hi,

I have a boat on Lake Lanier in GA. The other morning I took it out,
and the overall wave action appeared to be different than usual.
It was a flat calm day, except when a passing boat produced some
waves. Most of the time the waves seem to be sort of peaked and
a bit sharp, but on this morning they were more rounded and flatter.
The first boat I noticed it from, I thought it might be simply due to
the shape of the boat itself. But after a while I noticed it was true of
all of them...which was cool with me because it meant I could go
faster without getting tossed in the air too much. It still made me
wonder *why* though. Could it have something to do with what
creates high and low tides, and/or why sometimes when you dig
a hole you seem to have more dirt than you took out and sometimes
you seem to have less? If so, is there a way to predict when waves
will tend to be sharper and when they will tend to be flatter, like
people can predict high and low tides?

I fish Lanier, where on the lake are you?

At Holiday Marina. I don't fish, but if you'd want to hook up and go
for a boat ride--houseboat, runabout, and/or paddle around in a kayak
--let me know. So far I haven't met anyone from a news group, and
that would be cool for me. I'm at R17. Give me a call at 678-714-5764,
or an email at
sometime if you want. If you send
an email be sure to mention something about Lanier or the like so I know
it's not spam, 'cause I get about a hundred spams a day.

Cool, I'll do it. I sometimes put my bass boat in at Aqualand, but
mostly Shoal Creek. Holiday Marina is nice. Do you live on your
houseboat? I'll email you, possibly going fishing next weekend.
Jim Conlin

There's a treatment of this subject in 'The American Practical Navigator'
('Bowditch').
Wave height and period are a function of wind strength and the time and
distance that the wind has had to build them up. If the fetch is across a
large body of water, waves will be higher. If the wind has only recently
risen, the waves will be flatter. Rain smooths small waves further. Icing
smooths things, too. If there's been a large wind shift, waves will be
irregular. Shallow water makes makes waves shorter and steeper.

wrote:

[...]

On 16 Apr 2004 10:51:22 -0700, (basskisser) wrote:

wrote in message . ..
On 14 Apr 2004 11:12:33 -0700,
(basskisser) wrote:

wrote in message . ..
[...]

I wish.

I'll email you,

Good deal.

possibly going fishing next weekend.

Good luck...to you, not the fish :-)
posted to rec.boats,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On 4/16/2004 6:41 AM, wrote:
On 14 Apr 2004 11:12:33 -0700,
(basskisser) wrote:

wrote in message . ..
[...]

What's that? You want to "hook up" with some guy on the lake? What's
that all about?

and go
for a boat ride--houseboat, runabout, and/or paddle around in a kayak
--let me know.

Please don't tell us what you intend to do when you get back to the
houseboat.

So far I haven't met anyone from a news group, and
that would be cool for me. I'm at R17. Give me a call at 678-714-5764,

Hmmm...I've seen that number somewhere lately. I can't quite recall
where...