Mark Borgerson

Default Question about wave action on inland lake.

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:39:59 GMT, Mark Borgerson wrote:

[...]
Whether it has anything to do with the amount of
dirt in holes, who knows. That phenomenon has
to do with relative compaction---a lesson I learned
as an enginering student trainee with the California
Dept. of Transportation many decades ago.

Mark Borgerson

Thank you. What influences relative compaction?

Going back a bit he

1. type and size of material. It's hard to compact a pail of
marbles. But If you add a couple of cups of BBs, they will
disappear into the interstices between the marbles if you
shake the bucket. The same applies to soils and aggregate
mixes. With the proper ratios of fine and coarse materials
you can get better compaction. I spent a lot of time with
a sieve set and shaker determining the relative proportions
of fine and coarse materials in aggregate mixes.

2. Vibration and pressure. Rollers, thumpers and tampers
move the materials into the most dense (compact configuration).

3. Moisture. I guess the water helps the fine particles
infiltrate the interstices and makes it easier for
particles to move around. (It keeps down the dust
on the job site also.)

Mark Borgerson