noah

Default Jetskier's

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:00:16 GMT, "Rural Knight"
wrote:

"noah" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:54:20 GMT, "Rural Knight"
wrote:

"noah" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:57:33 -0400, "Ðon ßailey"
wrote:

Maybe operator's licenses are in order, just like motorcycles.

We have a PWC license here in Connecticut.

It doesn't help.

RK- do the local authorities respond to complaints? Just curious.

I will say this, the policing is terrific at the mouth of the CT
and Thames Rivers - they really do a bang up job.

Unfortunately, the lakes and larger bodies of inland water along
with the upper parts of the Farmington and Connecticut, almost
never patrolled. If you complain, polite noises, but nothing ever
happens.

What happens around here (CT, MA, RI) is some idiot in a
PWC runs over a swimmer or runs into a boat, the next two
weeks there is a major enforcement push and it disappears
until the next idiot does something stupid.

In fact, the CT license structure came about as an over reaction
to an accident on the CT river about ten years or so ago - some
kid on a PWC ran broadside into a boat full of people, two of
whom were Assistants to the Majority Leader and voila - we
have the most complicated licensing process you can imagine.
Here's the kicker - you can go out, buy a boat/PWC and not have
to participate in any boater education for the first six months you
own the boat/PWC.

My kids own PWCs and I ride one occasionally just for yucks -
I'm not anti-PWC - they are kind of fun actually. It's just the
silly two tier license system and the fact that you can legally
ride one during the time in which you are the most dangerous with
out any kind of education or license - there is a flaw in there
somewhere.

Later,

Tom

"It's just the silly two tier license system and the fact that you can
legally ride one during the time in which you are the most dangerous
with out any kind of education or license - there is a flaw in there
somewhere."

Yup, and it will worsen the conflict between PWC'ers and boaters. I
enjoy riding them myself, but I mind my manners. )

It's a bit like the car/motorcycle relationship, only reversed. I
love riding my bike, but I ride defensively. Paranoidally. þ
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
CraigM

in NJ we also have a PWC license/training course that must be attended, but
you can rent them without a license.
Seems that the rentals have more accidents than anyone else.

The system is OK, but where the problems are, there is never anyone around
to correct it.

"noah" wrote in message
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:00:16 GMT, "Rural Knight"
wrote:

"noah" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:54:20 GMT, "Rural Knight"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Steve Barker

Default Orange Flags (was Jetskier's)

As far as missouri is concerned, here is the rule from
http://www.boat-ed.com/mo/handbook/index.htm

Skier Down Flags
A flag indicating a "skier down/person in the water" is required
equipment for a motorboat (other than a PWC) towing a person behind on water
skis, inner tubes, sleds or similar devices. This flag is to be displayed
when the person is in the water before or after being towed on water skis or
similar devices or when a swimmer leaves the confines of the vessel.
Displaying of the flag is required from 11:00 AM to sunset and is effective
only on the Mississippi River, Missouri River and the lakes of this state.
The color of the flag must be either red or bright orange.
The flag must be square in design and measure at least 12 inches on
each side.
When displayed, the flag must be visible for 360 degrees.
All vessel operators in the vicinity of a displayed skier down flag are
required to operate at idle speed if closer than
50 yards to the vessel displaying the flag. It is suggested, when
operating in the vicinity of a displayed skier down flag, that operators
immediately start scanning the water for the downed skier.
Skier Down Flag
A rectangular orange or red flag, at least 12 inches by 12 inches

All vessel operators are encouraged to maneuver away from the area in
which a ski flag is being displayed.
This flag is to be displayed only when the skier (or person being towed
on inner tubes, sleds, etc.) is in the water before or after being towed.
Once the skier is up and being towed, the flag must be lowered. The flag
must be raised again when the skier falls or stops skiing and enters the
water in order to return to the motorboat.
PWC and moored or anchored motorboats are exempt from displaying the
skier down flag.

--
Steve (here to have fun) Barker

=======================
Remove the not dot from my address to abuse my email box
"Rural Knight" wrote in message
nk.net...
Is the flag displayed while towing the skier?

"CraigM" wrote in message

Attached Images
File Type: gif bulletblue15.gif (79 Bytes, 49 views)
File Type: gif 47skiersflags.gif (451 Bytes, 47 views)
Calif Bill

No. But the jetski is supposed to stay at least 100' away from a boat when
crossing the wake. And since most ski / tube ropes are 70' max, there
should not be a problem. But since you are supposed to stop at a stop sign,
there should not be any cross traffic crashes there either.
Bill

"Rural Knight" wrote in message
nk.net...
Is the flag displayed while towing the skier?

"CraigM" wrote in message
We also need the orange triangular flag to be 4 feet high in NJ.

"Dionysus Feldman" wrote in message
-
In Missouri (and perhaps other states) an orange flag is to be

displayed
anytime there is a person in the water with a given boat. This seems

dumb
at first, but I can attest to the fact that a lot of times you don't

see
that skier or tuber until you see that flag and look for them. I see

the
orange flag policy trickling into Kansas also although it's not a law

here.

df--

I remember in California we used a red or orange flag whenever the

skier
was down, but as soon as the skiier was up the flag came down. That
wouldn't help a Jet skier notice a Towskier when he's going to jump a
wake.

About orange flags and skiing:
I didn't see any mention of it in the Michigan regulations, nor have I
noticed any skiers here using flags to indicate a sKiel down. I think
the flag's a good idea, but that's what I grew up with.

Megabite

They are tantamount to Mosquitoes with people on board. Pesky, irritating,
noisy, disruptive, and usually drunk.
"Ðon ßailey" wrote in message
They serve absolutely no purpose and they need to be taken
outside and shot.

Have a nice day.

db

Ðon ßailey

Default Jetskier's (cont..)

Act I (Thursday morn.)

We camped (with friends) at Lake Jordan last weekend.
We managed to score an outstanding waterfront
campsite where we could beach our pontoon boat.
Typically, the occupier of the campsite has rights to
the beach area that comes with said campsite.
Campsites are usually first come/first served.

(keep this in mind).

-later that day....

A couple of muscle-head's get a campsite across the
street (not a waterfront campsite mind you) and decide
to use our campsite as a walk-through/staging area to
beach their PWC's at our private beach area. (how nice)

Well, we decided to allow them a little room down at the
"beach" to be nice. BIG MISTAKE... These jerks seem
to think doing doughnuts can only be done RIGHT BEHIND
our campsite all freaking day until sunset. Imagine,
dining with your family/friends in a nice outdoor setting
with the constant LOUD whine of 2 PWC's running
at full throttle right behind your campsite. (A lovely
notion isn't it??)

act II, (Sunday morn.)

The musclehead bros. decide to have a lil' ol' family reunion
down at our beach area. complete with 12 adults , 4-5 kids
(some hanging all over our boat) 1 dog w/2 yapping pups.

We now decide to re-claim our "beach".

The couple we shared the campsite with brought "Tank"
(a most well behaved great dane) along for the trip.
We figure Tank is about ready for a swim so we let
him lead us (leashed to about a 20' rope) down to
the beach.

Well...

I guess tank didn't go over to well at the family reunion
especially with the other dog and pups..

At first, Tank's owner kept him on a short length of rope/leash.

Then, with a few winks and nod's we decide to give
Tank a little more room to roam...

Yes sir, It was a joy to watch the lil' ol' family reunion
slowly migrate to the beach area next door. The
women were seen with hands on hips and glaring
eyes in our direction for hours.. snicker

A good time was had by all.

p.s. there is a community beach area provided to those
who are not fortunate enough get a site with a beach of
it's own. Only a fraction of sites have a beach. So
most are gone by Thursday afternoon.

btw...

If you insist on doing doughnuts,

GET AWAY from the (a) dock, (b) other boats, people

You assholes think doing doughnuts at the dock while waiting
for the tow vehicle/trailer is a GOOD IDEA?

What the F do you think a GD "no wake" zone is?

Do you idiots actually think EVERYBODY at the lake wants to
get a close up look at your idiocy?? Why can't you go to the
other side of the lake where there's plenty of room and do
that $hit.

Get your GD PWC out of the water and go get high or something.

db~maybe all jetskier's aren't this stupid. I don't know.

"Ðon ßailey" wrote in message
They serve absolutely no purpose and they need to be taken
outside and shot.

Have a nice day.

db

Gfretwell

~maybe all jetskier's aren't this stupid. I don't know.

We have a lot of responsible PWC owners around here. It seems most of the real
jerks are riding rentals.
If the manufacturers had half a brain they would make quieter skis. "Noise"
seems to be the biggest complaint, (or at least the root of the complain) yet
there are some that you can't hear running 100' away.