BoatBanter.com

-   -   Jetskier's (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/398-jetskiers.html)

Ðon ßailey July 28th 03 03:57 PM

Jetskier's

They serve absolutely no purpose and they need to be taken
outside and shot.

Have a nice day. :)

db

CIFRA1 July 28th 03 07:36 PM

Jetskier's

There are already outside....just shoot 'em
Steve

PIII-550E
Abit BE6-II
256mb Ram
ATI AIW 128 32mb AGP
PCI 1-open
PCI 2-SB Live X-Gamer
PCI 3-open
PCI 4-SIIG AP-40 UW SCSI
PCI 5-open
ISA-USR 56k Modem
Maxtor 30gb ATA66 IDE 1 (M)
Maxtor 8.4gb UDMA33 IDE 2 (M)
CD & CD-RW

Michael Sutton July 28th 03 09:11 PM

Jetskier's

"Ðon ßailey" wrote in message ...
They serve absolutely no purpose and they need to be taken
outside and shot.

I think we should allow them, but only if the jet-ski
drivers are required to wear jackets with bull's eyes on them.

CraigM July 28th 03 10:10 PM

Jetskier's

And your boat serves a purpose greater than a jetski?
Maybe, if you include taking 30 minutes at the launch ramp to get ready
while sitting in the ramp and sitting in marked channels.

CraigM July 30th 03 04:34 AM

Jetskier's

What do you mean by that?

Are you referring to the 16 yr olds that jump your wake? Same thing can be
said for the same 16 yr old behind the wheel of a boat.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

"Ðon ßailey" wrote in message
They serve absolutely no purpose and they need to be taken
outside and shot.

Have a nice day. :)

db

One thing is certain. Contrary to jetskier logic, the boats aren't
there for jetski entertainment, no matter how long they sit at the
ramp or marked channels.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Michael Sutton July 30th 03 03:29 PM

Jetskier's

"CraigM" wrote in message
And your boat serves a purpose greater than a jetski?
Maybe, if you include taking 30 minutes at the launch ramp to get ready
while sitting in the ramp and sitting in marked channels.

I'd have to say most people with boats don't block our ramp.
they have a nice area to pull into to prep your boat where I
live so you don't block the ramp.

The jet-skiers however seem to occupy the entire ramp
trying to back down 10 times and not jack-knife that little
trailer that can't be seen behind their SUV.

what I can't figure out is the parents who will drop off
2 13year old kids on a jet ski at the boat ramp only
to pick them up later. Would you let your 13 year old
out on the river/lake by themselves with a jetski that
will do 60mph? I'm surprised more haven't drowned.

I read something that the highest percentage of boating
deaths have a jetski/personal-water-craft involved.

noah July 30th 03 11:32 PM

Jetskier's

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:57:33 -0400, "Ðon ßailey"
wrote:

They serve absolutely no purpose and they need to be taken
outside and shot.

Have a nice day. :)

db

I wouldn't go that far, Don. Murder is a bit harsh. I wouldn't mind
putting a round through the jetski, though. :o)

More seriously, I do see a lot of dangerous/reckless behavior by
jetskiers. Not all, but enough to cause concern. I actually saw a
guy meet a ski boat with skier, and swerve in to jump the wake. At
the last minute, he saw the skier and swerved off, but not before he
scared the hell out of everybody (including himself). To be fair, I
have also seen dangerous/reckless behavior by boat operators, but not
as frequently.

Since they are more affordable than "boats", and are easy to store,
we're going to see more of them. Maybe operator's licenses are in
order, just like motorcycles.

noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

Steve Barker July 31st 03 01:16 AM

Jetskier's

In Missouri (and perhaps other states) an orange flag is to be displayed
anytime there is a person in the water with a given boat. This seems dumb
at first, but I can attest to the fact that a lot of times you don't see
that skier or tuber until you see that flag and look for them. I see the
orange flag policy trickling into Kansas also although it's not a law here.

--
Steve (here to have fun) Barker

=======================
Remove the not dot from my address to abuse my email box

noah July 31st 03 01:36 AM

Jetskier's

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:54:20 GMT, "Rural Knight"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Maybe operator's licenses are in order, just like motorcycles.

We have a PWC license here in Connecticut.

It doesn't help.

RK- do the local authorities respond to complaints? Just curious.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

Rural Knight July 31st 03 02:00 AM

Jetskier's

"noah" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:54:20 GMT, "Rural Knight"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Maybe operator's licenses are in order, just like motorcycles.

We have a PWC license here in Connecticut.

It doesn't help.

RK- do the local authorities respond to complaints? Just curious.

I will say this, the policing is terrific at the mouth of the CT
and Thames Rivers - they really do a bang up job.

Unfortunately, the lakes and larger bodies of inland water along
with the upper parts of the Farmington and Connecticut, almost
never patrolled. If you complain, polite noises, but nothing ever
happens.

What happens around here (CT, MA, RI) is some idiot in a
PWC runs over a swimmer or runs into a boat, the next two
weeks there is a major enforcement push and it disappears
until the next idiot does something stupid.

In fact, the CT license structure came about as an over reaction
to an accident on the CT river about ten years or so ago - some
kid on a PWC ran broadside into a boat full of people, two of
whom were Assistants to the Majority Leader and voila - we
have the most complicated licensing process you can imagine.
Here's the kicker - you can go out, buy a boat/PWC and not have
to participate in any boater education for the first six months you
own the boat/PWC.

My kids own PWCs and I ride one occasionally just for yucks -
I'm not anti-PWC - they are kind of fun actually. It's just the
silly two tier license system and the fact that you can legally
ride one during the time in which you are the most dangerous with
out any kind of education or license - there is a flaw in there
somewhere.

Later,

Tom