Bill Kiene

Default Engine size differences

Those are both good motors but as most will tell you, if you ever take more
that a few people, you will wish you have a larger motor.

I think the smaller motor is the little 4 cylinder motor that was in the
Chevy II Nova compact car when I was a kid. The larger is a GM V6 which is
another popular motor.

The next step up is probably a GM 350ci V8 which will be even more power.

I think most will recommend you go to the 4.3 because it will be better with
a load.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"Petey the Wonder Dog" wrote in message
I'm about to order a Chapparal 190 I/O.

I can get either the 3.0 Volvo or the 4.3.
Can someone tell me the difference in speed between the two.

I understand that most recommendations will be to the larger engine, but
cost is a consideration at $2000 higher for the 4.3.

Before I make a decision, can I get some factual differences between the
two?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Dave

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 17:01:54 +0000, Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:

I'm about to order a Chapparal 190 I/O.

I can get either the 3.0 Volvo or the 4.3. Can someone tell me the difference
in speed between the two.

I understand that most recommendations will be to the larger engine, but cost
is a consideration at $2000 higher for the 4.3.

I had a rather heavy 18-ft Campion hardtop with a 2.5 (120hp) for several years.
Georgia Strait tends to be bumpy, even on calm days due to tide, so my speed was
usually dictated more by waves than by power. I never wished for more.

HOWEVER, I don't water-ski. This seems to be the turning point. If you (or your
friends) want to water-ski, get the 4.3. If you just want to fish, cruise, etc.,
the 3 will be fine. (If you want to Impress the Babes, get the 5.7 and open the
exhausts!)

The 2.5 (I'm not sure about the 3.0) was the "iron duke", a high-torque, low-rpm
4-cyl they used to put in trucks like the S10. It was replaced by the even more
Venerable 4.3 V6, which is basically the GM small-block V8 with two cyl lopped
off. The one in our Safari van has 220,000 km on it and it's barely broken in.

Lloyd Sumpter
(previously) "Valkyrie" Campion 18: http://www.user.dccnet.com/lsumpter/Campion
Wayne.B

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 17:01:54 GMT, Petey the Wonder Dog
wrote:
I'm about to order a Chapparal 190 I/O.

I can get either the 3.0 Volvo or the 4.3.
Can someone tell me the difference in speed between the two.

I understand that most recommendations will be to the larger engine, but
cost is a consideration at $2000 higher for the 4.3.

Before I make a decision, can I get some factual differences between the
two?

$2K may seem like a lot now but it will cost a LOT more later on when
you decide you really need more power for one reason or another. The
larger engine will also run more lightly loaded in most conditions and
should last longer as a result.

Resale value is another consideration. The boat will always be worth
more with the larger engine so in the end it will cost you less than
$2K.

Bill

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news:c3dhc2g=.d81e485936d0d0e3aa69804eb2a98d53@108 1180925.nulluser.com...
Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:03:32 +0000, Harry Krause wrote:

"Petey the Wonder Dog" wrote in message

I'm about to order a Chapparal 190 I/O.

I can get either the 3.0 Volvo or the 4.3.
Can someone tell me the difference in speed between the two.

I understand that most recommendations will be to the larger

engine, but
cost is a consideration at $2000 higher for the 4.3.

Before I make a decision, can I get some factual differences

between the
two?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Dave

A 19' Chap with a 2 liter V6 (it is a V6, right...not a 4) will be
woefully underpowered.

Harry:
- It's 3 litres, not 2
- It's 4 cyl, not 6
- It's adequate, not "woefully underpowered"

Good thing you got your signature right.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Yeah, yeah, yeah, so I made a typo. A 3.0 liter four cylinder engine in
a 19' Chap sportboat equals a woefully underpowered boat. Perhaps not by
your standards, but, then, by your standards, going a knot faster than
the current is acceptable.

A 4.3 liter engine is necessary on that boat to make it perform as it
should...quick, agile, able to carry some passengers and pull water

skiers.

Just because your Vinyl Valerie or whatever you called your "sport boat"
was grossly underpowered doesn/t mean everyone else's boat should be, too.

Ciao.

P.S. One of the surplus stores was having a sale on end lots of duct
tape and bailing wire...I immediately thought of you and your boats.

Oh Harry what's Wong can't take the heat. Yea!! You like to Dish it out but
can't it. Oh where is Asskisser I didn't see him reply to any of the
comments. Just as I thought you can't even give the Simplest Technical
Advice or Helpful Hints. Just go and reply to the OT topics.

Bill

Bill

"Petey the Wonder Dog" wrote in message
I'm about to order a Chapparal 190 I/O.

I can get either the 3.0 Volvo or the 4.3.
Can someone tell me the difference in speed between the two.

I understand that most recommendations will be to the larger engine, but
cost is a consideration at $2000 higher for the 4.3.

Before I make a decision, can I get some factual differences between the
two?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Like others said I would go with the 4.3 you will not regret it. I have a
19' Larson with a 3.0 liter in it and wish many times I had more horse
power. Either you pay up front or Pay to have a new 4.3 installed later or
just sit and wish you did. Like I said and others you will not regret it.

Bill

Jay

My first boat three years ago was a 1987 Bayliner Capri 18' w/a 2.0
(sorry THREE) liter motor. I now have a 1997 18.5 Chaparral w/a 4.3.

Bayliner=Good starter boat. OK power for two adults/two kids/cooler.
BUT once you have a boat, you get friends. REALLY underpowered
w/seven people and stuff. The Chap can get out of its way loaded.

Go for the bigger engine it is really worth it. The increased fuel
consumption is negligible at cruise.

-jjj