Lloyd Sumpter

Default Engine size differences

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 17:01:54 +0000, Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:

I'm about to order a Chapparal 190 I/O.

I can get either the 3.0 Volvo or the 4.3. Can someone tell me the difference
in speed between the two.

I understand that most recommendations will be to the larger engine, but cost
is a consideration at $2000 higher for the 4.3.

I had a rather heavy 18-ft Campion hardtop with a 2.5 (120hp) for several years.
Georgia Strait tends to be bumpy, even on calm days due to tide, so my speed was
usually dictated more by waves than by power. I never wished for more.

HOWEVER, I don't water-ski. This seems to be the turning point. If you (or your
friends) want to water-ski, get the 4.3. If you just want to fish, cruise, etc.,
the 3 will be fine. (If you want to Impress the Babes, get the 5.7 and open the
exhausts!)

The 2.5 (I'm not sure about the 3.0) was the "iron duke", a high-torque, low-rpm
4-cyl they used to put in trucks like the S10. It was replaced by the even more
Venerable 4.3 V6, which is basically the GM small-block V8 with two cyl lopped
off. The one in our Safari van has 220,000 km on it and it's barely broken in.

Lloyd Sumpter
(previously) "Valkyrie" Campion 18: http://www.user.dccnet.com/lsumpter/Campion