Rod McInnis

Default depth finder "Inside" alum hull

The transducer has to "see" water and the only way that can happen is
if it's in contact with the water.

Not true.

There are plenty of intallations where the transducer is mounted inside a
fiberglass hull and shoots through the hull. The last three boats I have
owned were set up that way. It definately cuts down the range it can reach,
but it doesn't need to be wet.

I am not sure how well it would work shooting through an aluminum hull.
It's easy to try, however. Just take a small tube of RTV and squeeze it out
into a puddle on the inside of the hull. (it would be best to clean the
hull first so it will get a good stick). Rock the transducer down into the
puddle, being carefull to avoid trapping any air. Just "moosh" it down into
the puddle.

Now see if it works. If it works okay, let the RTV cure and your all set.
If it doesn't work, pull it up before right away.

However, do you need a depth finder? If you can beach a 60 foot boat,
there can't be much draft to the vessel making the whole point of a
depth finder mute.

I sure don't follow your reasoning. There are times that I might beach a
houseboat, but I would do it very carefully. The outdrives will still
require a few feet of depth for operation, just like any boat. I wouldn't
want to hit my props on a houseboat any more than I would any boat.

Rod

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:05:51 GMT, Jim
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
removed
However, do you need a depth finder? If you can beach a 60 foot boat,
there can't be much draft to the vessel making the whole point of a
depth finder mute.

I was thinking that if you 'beach' a 60' boat, a through hull
would be the least of your worries. :^)

Around the places I fish in CT and RI, beaching a boat would be a more
or less permanent installation. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:29:25 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

When he mentioned beaching it, I envisioned bringing the bow close to the
beach and tying it to whatever, but also having the anchor straight out
behind the boat so the stern wouldn't swing around and onto the beach.

"Jim" wrote in message

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
removed
However, do you need a depth finder? If you can beach a 60 foot boat,
there can't be much draft to the vessel making the whole point of a
depth finder mute.

I was thinking that if you 'beach' a 60' boat, a through hull
would be the least of your worries. :^)

I was thinking Cape Cod beaching where you run the boat right up on
the beach.

Of course now that I think about it, your approach would be more
reasonable.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:27:32 -0800, "Rod McInnis"

.. .

The transducer has to "see" water and the only way that can happen is
if it's in contact with the water.

Not true.

There are plenty of intallations where the transducer is mounted inside a
fiberglass hull and shoots through the hull. The last three boats I have
owned were set up that way. It definately cuts down the range it can reach,
but it doesn't need to be wet.

You are correct.

I misspoke.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Doug Kanter

"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

Ever seen Izaak Walton's recipe for cooking a whole pike? To die for! Or
from. Lots of butter.

Calif Bill

"Jim" wrote in message

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
removed
However, do you need a depth finder? If you can beach a 60 foot boat,
there can't be much draft to the vessel making the whole point of a
depth finder mute.

I was thinking that if you 'beach' a 60' boat, a through hull
would be the least of your worries. :^)

-Jim

Is done all the time with houseboats in Lake Mead and Lake Powell. Run the
bow on to the beach and an anchor off the stern. Run a gangplank down to
the beach to go ashore. I have an aluminum river jetboat and the transducer
is on a plate on the transom and just kicks up if you get too shallow. Run
over a small sandbar, or park the boat on top of a gravel bar. Gravel bar
is worst. Smashed one chine flat. $175 to repair.
Bill

Bill

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:08:29 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .

"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

That one must have escaped me somewhere along the line.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Jack Redington

Doug Kanter wrote:
When he mentioned beaching it, I envisioned bringing the bow close to the
beach and tying it to whatever, but also having the anchor straight out
behind the boat so the stern wouldn't swing around and onto the beach.

Yep: we see the houseboaters doing that all the time on lake Lanier.
Looks like a good way to spend the day :-)

Capt Jack R..

moyo

"Jim" wrote in message

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
removed
However, do you need a depth finder? If you can beach a 60 foot boat,
there can't be much draft to the vessel making the whole point of a
depth finder mute.

I was thinking that if you 'beach' a 60' boat, a through hull
would be the least of your worries. :^)

-Jim

Yep, that's pretty much the idea. My reasoning behind the DF was that
Lake Lanier varies a lot by year in it's water height and where an
island that is now 5' underwater could next week be 2' underwater. If
I had a DF near the bow then I would be able to see the island rising
and turn to avoid it. As to beaching, as you said, the front is shoved
up about 7 feet onto the shore and then stern lines are attached to
trees at 45 degree angles to prevent the stern from swinging up onto
the beach.

eric

depth finder "Inside" alum hull Doug Kanter General 1 March 16th 04 06:13 AM
depth finder issues Richard Malcolm General 15 February 18th 04 06:37 AM
Depth finder J K General 0 December 6th 03 04:40 PM
Replacing Lowrance depth finder butch burton General 5 October 16th 03 09:59 AM
Depth Finder - Two questions Gary Warner General 3 July 8th 03 12:01 AM