butch burton

Default Replacing Lowrance depth finder

A non digital friend just bought a 95 Searay, 31' and it has the stock
Lowrance depth finder with a round digital readout. He would like to
replace this unit with a very good Lowrance or other depth and
fishfinder and use the same thru hull hole. How does one go about
finding which transducer is compatible with the existing hole. The
fall back position is to make the hole larger but he definately does
not want to drill another hole in the hull. Also it would be nice if
he could keep the existing digital readout on the console and add the
fishfinder screen.

Thanks
Wildest Dream

I kept my stock one and added a fishfinder and they both work together so
when one is way off the other one usually read correct, u can tell if the
depth is way off as they always are when they are.

"butch burton" wrote in message
om...
A non digital friend just bought a 95 Searay, 31' and it has the stock
Lowrance depth finder with a round digital readout. He would like to
replace this unit with a very good Lowrance or other depth and
fishfinder and use the same thru hull hole. How does one go about
finding which transducer is compatible with the existing hole. The
fall back position is to make the hole larger but he definately does
not want to drill another hole in the hull. Also it would be nice if
he could keep the existing digital readout on the console and add the
fishfinder screen.

Thanks

butch burton

"Wildest Dream" wrote in message . net...
I kept my stock one and added a fishfinder and they both work together so
when one is way off the other one usually read correct, u can tell if the
depth is way off as they always are when they are.

So you have two transducers in your hull-any way to do it with one?
He just does not want to drill another hole in his hull.

thanks

"butch burton" wrote in message
om...
A non digital friend just bought a 95 Searay, 31' and it has the stock
Lowrance depth finder with a round digital readout. He would like to
replace this unit with a very good Lowrance or other depth and
fishfinder and use the same thru hull hole. How does one go about
finding which transducer is compatible with the existing hole. The
fall back position is to make the hole larger but he definately does
not want to drill another hole in the hull. Also it would be nice if
he could keep the existing digital readout on the console and add the
fishfinder screen.

Thanks

RG

"WaIIy" wrote in message

I'm surprised (and doubt) Searay put in a transducer that is through
the hull for that little depth finder. Maybe he should take another
look and he will discover that it is just glued to the inside of the
hull and it just looks like it's a thru-hull.

My '95 Four Winns, '97 Sea Ray, and '99 Sea Ray all had/have Lowrance 3500
digital depth sounders (the one this thread is discussing). All were
factory installed with a hole drilled in the hull in the engine compartment
resulting in the face of the transducer being flush with the outside bottom
of the hull. Excellent performance from the sounder while under way at
cruising speed in deep water in all three cases.

RG

My 94 290 Searay had a transducer (from the factory) shooting through
the hull.

Interesting. I wonder what year they made the change.

He has a 95 310 or something like that. You said he was unfamiliar with
instruments.

Not me, my only post to this thread is my reply to yours.

He should take a second look.

Always a smart idea.

Ps A transducer as you describe is not flush with the hull. Close, but
not flush.

Guess I never really drug my fingernail across it to detect a difference in
height. Sure looks flush at a casual glance. I assume the transducer is
slightly recessed? For what reason? Protection of the transducer? It
would seem that would have the possibility of ever so slightly creating
water turbulence and introducing air to the mix, which would be highly
undesirable. Works great though. In all three cases I've been able to read
triple digit depths (in feet) at 30+ mph.