Jason

Default Aluminum Boat, depth finder install

I am upgrading my fish finder. the boat it aluminum.. how do i deal with the
old holes? Stainless steel screw with some sort of silicone?

thanks

noah

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:10:41 -0500, "Jason"
wrote:

I am upgrading my fish finder. the boat it aluminum.. how do i deal with the
old holes? Stainless steel screw with some sort of silicone?

thanks

Don't use stainless. Dissimilar metals will eventually cause
corrosion.

1.) Get the holes welded up at a good welding shop.
2.) Use aluminum bolts and nuts with waterproofing washers inside and
out, and use "Thread-lock".
3.) If you use screws, use aluminum. The silicone can eventually
leak, the screw may loosen, and you may tear your shoes on the exposed
sharp point.

Good luck,
....carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.
Mark Browne

If the holes are small you may be able to fill them with rivets. Drill them
out to the correct size for the rivet and then drive the rivet normally. It
is also possible that you may want to install a doublers over the area - a
small patch cut to cover the area of interest.

There are some watertight aluminum pop-rivets. These may be an option for
you.

Mark Browne

"Jason" wrote in message
I am upgrading my fish finder. the boat it aluminum.. how do i deal with

the
old holes? Stainless steel screw with some sort of silicone?

thanks

del cecchi

"Jason" wrote in message
I am upgrading my fish finder. the boat it aluminum.. how do i deal

with
the
old holes? Stainless steel screw with some sort of silicone?

thanks

In fresh water, for a trailered boat, sheet metal screws and 5200
sealant or eq. is fine. In fact on my old boat, tub and tile silicone
worked fine.

Salt water or polluted fresh water that is highly conductive may be
another story.

del cecchi

Calif Bill

"Jason" wrote in message
I am upgrading my fish finder. the boat it aluminum.. how do i deal

with
the
old holes? Stainless steel screw with some sort of silicone?

thanks

In fresh water, for a trailered boat, sheet metal screws and 5200
sealant or eq. is fine. In fact on my old boat, tub and tile silicone
worked fine.

Salt water or polluted fresh water that is highly conductive may be
another story.

del cecchi

I have used the SS screws and boat life caulk on my 14' alum boat. Best way
is to buy the plastic mounting plate from Bass Pro shops or Cabelas that is
for mounting transducers. Allows you to mount the plate with the original
screw holes and then mount your xducer to the plate.
Bill