Bob La Londe

Default Force Lekaing Oil

I took out my little Waco with the 50 HP Force for the first time yesterday.
When I was tinkering around with the boa this morning I noticed there was
some oil leaking out of the water inlet. I'm guessing that's lower unit
oil. Not a good sign. What is the most likely culprit for the leak?

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Jim

Bob,

Are you sure it's not a black oil slime rather than fresh oil leaking
out? If its the slime, it could be from the exhaust leaking around the
exhaust seal in the leg. Don't assume the leak. Remove the bottom
screw on the foot and see what comes out. Straight oil=good. Milky
white oil=not good. Water before any oil starts coming out=bad. If the
latter two, it's at least time for a seal kit. If it's the last and you
don't know how long it might have been going on, there could be rust on
those internals.

I just realized I was assuming above that you were referring to seeing
this after the boat was out of the water. If I assumed wrong and you
saw this while the boat was in the water, note that once the motor is
running, exhaust leaves the lower end at the prop. Either way, check
the oil in the foot first!

-Jim

Bob La Londe wrote:
I took out my little Waco with the 50 HP Force for the first time yesterday.
When I was tinkering around with the boa this morning I noticed there was
some oil leaking out of the water inlet. I'm guessing that's lower unit
oil. Not a good sign. What is the most likely culprit for the leak?

Bob La Londe

Its fresh clear oil leaking out.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Bob La Londe wrote:
I took out my little Waco with the 50 HP Force for the first time

yesterday.
When I was tinkering around with the boa this morning I noticed there

was
some oil leaking out of the water inlet. I'm guessing that's lower unit
oil. Not a good sign. What is the most likely culprit for the leak?

Jim

Did you remove the bottom screw on the foot to see what drained
out? If not, I suggest you do this ASAP.

Bob La Londe wrote:
Its fresh clear oil leaking out.

Bob La Londe

I just drained it. Sadly... mostly water.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Bob La Londe wrote:
Its fresh clear oil leaking out.

Jim

If you haven't got the time to tear it apart immediately, at the
very least, refill it with fresh oil now!!!

Bob La Londe wrote:
I just drained it. Sadly... mostly water.

Bob La Londe

I got the new seal for the drive shaft. $3.95 before my discount from
Davidson Marine. It was about the same for a tube of oil for it.

All done. Now if I can just remember to keep the motor down so the carbs
don't leak I'll be able to keep it pretty.

You the same Jim that visits the forums on my site from time to time?

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Bob La Londe wrote:
I just drained it. Sadly... mostly water.

Calif Bill

Bob La Londe wrote:
I just drained it. Sadly... mostly water.

After changing the seals, pump up a couple of pounds of air pressure (I use
a bicycle pump) and listen for leaks or look for oil. Then when you remove
the air pump that you have sealed to the oil filler tube, listen for air
escaping. Helps to get the leaks before hitting the water.
Bill

Jim

You the same Jim that visits the forums on my site from time to time?

No, not that I recall. I may have seen the link in your posting and
clicked on it before tho.

All done. Now if I can just remember to keep the motor down so the
carbs don't leak I'll be able to keep it pretty.

Calif Bill has good advice to follow. I would seriously consider it
as you have had more than a minor seal 'leak' for water to come out of
the foot. Also, I think you should change the oil in the foot again
after your next outing to get rid of any further remnants of water in
there. Under heat/load the oil should mix very well with the water.
You'll have an indication of how much water you weren't able to get
out by the color of the oil coming out.

-Jim

-Jim