Tom

Default yamaha outboard engine noise

I have a new Yamaha 200 (ox66) outboard with just 22 hours on it. The other
day I took it out and noticed a slight metallic rattling noise while it was
idling, seemed to go away after a few minutes, then while running about
3600rpm's I heard a loud thud coming from the engine, no change in
performance just a loud thud... I stopped and checked everything over and
then continued, every so often we would hear this same noise..can't find
anything obviously wrong..just looking for some ideas before I take it back
to the dealer. Thanks... Tom

Dr. Dr. K. Grear

Absolutely, positively bring the outboard back to the dealer. You want to
have this problem registered as being a problem after only 20 hrs.
Hopefully they will be able to correct the problem, but if they say they
could not duplicate the problem, you still have a paper trail showing the
problem.

This will help if you need to get "warranty work" completely, after the
warranty period has expired.

While there, have them complete the 20 hr. check up.

"Tom" wrote in message
I have a new Yamaha 200 (ox66) outboard with just 22 hours on it. The
other
day I took it out and noticed a slight metallic rattling noise while it
was
idling, seemed to go away after a few minutes, then while running about
3600rpm's I heard a loud thud coming from the engine, no change in
performance just a loud thud... I stopped and checked everything over and
then continued, every so often we would hear this same noise..can't find
anything obviously wrong..just looking for some ideas before I take it
back
to the dealer. Thanks... Tom

Tom

I just had the 20 hour check done, I have only had the boat out once since..
One thing they did during the check was switch the prop out to keep the
rpm's in the right range.. When I hear the noise is sounds as though
something is skipping off a gear! I also noted it seemed to shift in to
reverse very hard. Thanks Tom

"Tom" wrote in message
I have a new Yamaha 200 (ox66) outboard with just 22 hours on it. The
other
day I took it out and noticed a slight metallic rattling noise while it
was
idling, seemed to go away after a few minutes, then while running about
3600rpm's I heard a loud thud coming from the engine, no change in
performance just a loud thud... I stopped and checked everything over

and
then continued, every so often we would hear this same noise..can't find
anything obviously wrong..just looking for some ideas before I take it
back
to the dealer. Thanks... Tom

Dr. Dr. K. Grear

Tom,
It sounds like it might be a problem with the prop installation, but before
you use the boat again, bring it into the dealer. If you call them they
will probably prioritize the repair automatically. If not, insist they
prioritize the repair.

"Tom" wrote in message
I have a new Yamaha 200 (ox66) outboard with just 22 hours on it. The
other
day I took it out and noticed a slight metallic rattling noise while it
was
idling, seemed to go away after a few minutes, then while running about
3600rpm's I heard a loud thud coming from the engine, no change in
performance just a loud thud... I stopped and checked everything over

and
then continued, every so often we would hear this same noise..can't
find
anything obviously wrong..just looking for some ideas before I take it
back
to the dealer. Thanks... Tom

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:37:29 GMT, "Tom" wrote:

I just had the 20 hour check done, I have only had the boat out once since..
One thing they did during the check was switch the prop out to keep the
rpm's in the right range.. When I hear the noise is sounds as though
something is skipping off a gear! I also noted it seemed to shift in to
reverse very hard. Thanks Tom

I would suggest you get it back to the dealer - you may have gear case
problems or a spacer missing on the prop. I suspect the gear case
more than the prop - in particular with the shifting problem.

On the other hand, are you hearing the thud when you are shifting or
underway? If it's during shifting, then it's a simple adjustment
problem. If it's underway, then there is more than
adjustment/alignment problems.

In either case, get a paper trail started on the warranty work. It
may prove invaluable in the future.

Let us know what they find out.

Later,

Tom

Clams Canino

I'd bet the shift cable / linkage IS misadjusted. Get it fixed before the
lower unit is harmed. Have them change the oil in it and check for metal
now too, the lower may already be compromised.

-W

"Tom" wrote in message
I have a new Yamaha 200 (ox66) outboard with just 22 hours on it. The
other
day I took it out and noticed a slight metallic rattling noise while

it
was
idling, seemed to go away after a few minutes, then while running

about
3600rpm's I heard a loud thud coming from the engine, no change in
performance just a loud thud... I stopped and checked everything over

and
then continued, every so often we would hear this same noise..can't

find
anything obviously wrong..just looking for some ideas before I take it
back
to the dealer. Thanks... Tom

Capt. Neal®

"Tom" wrote in message ...
I have a new Yamaha 200 (ox66) outboard with just 22 hours on it. The other
day I took it out and noticed a slight metallic rattling noise while it was
idling, seemed to go away after a few minutes, then while running about
3600rpm's I heard a loud thud coming from the engine, no change in
performance just a loud thud... I stopped and checked everything over and
then continued, every so often we would hear this same noise..can't find
anything obviously wrong..just looking for some ideas before I take it back
to the dealer. Thanks... Tom

Have the dealer check shift cable adjustment and make sure you're
pushing the lever all the way forward. Sounds like it might be jumping
into neutral and back into forward under load. This can eventually
round off the dogs on the gears. I wouldn't worry about the metallic
rattle at this point. It's probably just a washer or something minor
in the rigging process.

Depending on where you're operating, if upon the Atlantic Ocean
or Gulf of Mexico there is a creature called a moon jellyfish which
is about the size of a basketball and will definitely make a thump when
you hit one. They can be quite thick at times.

Yamaha makes one fine motor.

CN
Ken

This may or may not be the problem but I just went through a rattling with a
customer's Yamaha. The power head was just replaced 17 hours ago. The noise
was more evident from the bottom of the power head down to the gearcase more
than in the upper engine area. I ran the engine with the gearcase removed
for a half minute but the noise remained. The customer reported that
performance didn't seem to be affected.

The problem was that the torsion dampener attached to the bottom of the
crankshaft came loose. I checked with Yamaha tech services about this and
they reported hearing of the problem several times. The fix was easy enough,
about 5 hours work and there was no damage from this happening.

Tom" wrote in message
I have a new Yamaha 200 (ox66) outboard with just 22 hours on it. The

other
day I took it out and noticed a slight metallic rattling noise while it

was
idling, seemed to go away after a few minutes, then while running about
3600rpm's I heard a loud thud coming from the engine, no change in
performance just a loud thud... I stopped and checked everything over and
then continued, every so often we would hear this same noise..can't find
anything obviously wrong..just looking for some ideas before I take it

back
to the dealer. Thanks... Tom

Outboard Engine submerged in fresh water - What to do? Rili General 7 February 6th 05 03:41 PM
Yamaha Outboard question Country_Chiel Boat Building 3 December 7th 04 10:13 PM
Yamaha 9.9 outboard runs smooth then sputters [email protected] Cruising 15 July 29th 04 09:36 PM
Overheating Yamaha 200 OverHot General 2 October 21st 03 07:24 AM
Good outboard engine forums? Rob Pilgrim General 4 July 11th 03 12:30 AM