Wayne.B

Default Harry's Boats

On 09 Mar 2004 21:04:02 GMT, 123 (Butch Ammon) wrote:
Isn't there a version of the USCG 200 footers that has a pair of
turbine engines in addition to the diesels? I remember getting a tour
of one about that size or a little larger, and being told that the
turbines used so much fuel in "pursuit" mode, that they were budgeted
for only a few hours per month of running time.

Yes, the 378's have them. The WHEC's can definitely move on the ocean!

http://www.uscg.mil/datasheet/378whec.htm

Click on the photo in the link. That is the USCGC Hamilton. I've been onboard
that Cutter so many times when it was homeported in Boston, MA. Ah, memories!

===============================

That's definitely the boat although I do not remember it being quite
that large. It did have a helicopter deck in the back which I
distinctly recall. I'm not sure which one that I saw, but it was at
the old Governor's Island USCG base in NY harbor, probably in the late
80's or early 90's. We were allowed to tour everything on the boat
but the radio room which we were told was strictly off limits for
security reasons. Big disappointment to me, but it sure did whet my
curiosity about what kind of exotic equipment they were hiding. My
other strong recollection was that the table in the galley/mess area
could be converted into a medical operating table if need be. It's
funny the things that make an impression on you.

Butch Ammon

That's definitely the boat although I do not remember it being quite
that large. It did have a helicopter deck in the back which I
distinctly recall. I'm not sure which one that I saw, but it was at
the old Governor's Island USCG base in NY harbor, probably in the late
80's or early 90's. We were allowed to tour everything on the boat
but the radio room which we were told was strictly off limits for
security reasons. Big disappointment to me, but it sure did whet my
curiosity about what kind of exotic equipment they were hiding. My
other strong recollection was that the table in the galley/mess area
could be converted into a medical operating table if need be. It's
funny the things that make an impression on you.

Governors Island? Wow... The infamous "Rock". I was there from 1980-1983.
The cutters that were moored there were the Dallas and the Gallatin. Both were
the 378' WHEC class.

Butch Ammon
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:16:30 -0500 (EST), (N.L.
Eckert) wrote:

John H wrote:
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:28:42 -0500 (EST),
(N.L.
Eckert) wrote:
Hey, as long as we're talking about "Fantasy" boats, lets hear what some
of us fantasize about.

I've already mentioned a couple, but just for giggles, I wouldn't turn
one of these down:

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/...lf/cwolf02.jpg

Just think of the fun you could have with one of those, heh, heh,
heh...

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653