Butch Ammon

Default Harry's Boats

That's definitely the boat although I do not remember it being quite
that large. It did have a helicopter deck in the back which I
distinctly recall. I'm not sure which one that I saw, but it was at
the old Governor's Island USCG base in NY harbor, probably in the late
80's or early 90's. We were allowed to tour everything on the boat
but the radio room which we were told was strictly off limits for
security reasons. Big disappointment to me, but it sure did whet my
curiosity about what kind of exotic equipment they were hiding. My
other strong recollection was that the table in the galley/mess area
could be converted into a medical operating table if need be. It's
funny the things that make an impression on you.

Governors Island? Wow... The infamous "Rock". I was there from 1980-1983.
The cutters that were moored there were the Dallas and the Gallatin. Both were
the 378' WHEC class.

Butch Ammon