L. Sikorski

Default Grady White Quality

After looking at several new Grady-White boats, I noticed they do not
have welded bow rails. Instead, they have allen screws. I thought
all top-quality boats only used welded bow rails?

I also saw plastic thru-hulls on several new Pursuit boats.
James W. Sloan

For better or worse, usually worse, this has become a common practice on
many boats. I was advised that the shift to sectional railing was done in
response to consumer demand for a wider product line. The sectionals can be
quickly put together on any boat of the fleet from a stock inventory, while
welded members are unique to each vessel type. I'm not troubled as much by
the sectional rails and I am about shortcutting on mounting hardware and
backing plates. At least GW isn't guilty of this yet!

BTW, for my money a plastic through hull is never acceptable. The price
difference is probably less than $25 per boat, less at wholesale rates.
There's not enough volume in any boat line to warrant this type of shortcut.

James Sloan
Saint Simons Island, GA

After looking at several new Grady-White boats, I noticed they do not
have welded bow rails. Instead, they have allen screws. I thought
all top-quality boats only used welded bow rails?

I also saw plastic thru-hulls on several new Pursuit boats.

Harry Krause

Capt Frank Hopkins wrote:

I am headed for the Jacksonville boat show this afternoon. I will let you
know what I "uncover".

Capt Frank

"L. Sikorski" wrote in message
om...
After looking at several new Grady-White boats, I noticed they do not
have welded bow rails. Instead, they have allen screws. I thought
all top-quality boats only used welded bow rails?

I also saw plastic thru-hulls on several new Pursuit boats.

Who is the Grady dealer in Jax these days?

--
Email sent to is never read.
DownTime

"L. Sikorski" wrote in message
om...
After looking at several new Grady-White boats, I noticed they do not
have welded bow rails. Instead, they have allen screws. I thought
all top-quality boats only used welded bow rails?

I also saw plastic thru-hulls on several new Pursuit boats.

After attending a few recent boat shows, it is my opinion that many boat
builders are lowering the quality of certain components. To put in the best
of the best for each ittem, the cost would be such that many people would be
priced out of the market for the size of boat they are looking for.

This is not to say all builders are cutting costs by using lesser grade
components, but depending on how closely you look, you could always find
something that could be done better.

Remember, there is no perfect boat, just the one that best suits your needs
this time. That is why most all boaters are always looking to sell, trade,
upgrade and/or modify 'something'.

DownTime

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
I know where you are going, but my 1987 Grady doesn't have welded
components, either......

Uh.... 2004-1987=17

Come to think of it, I remember our 93 Grady White had the sectional
(non-welded) bow rail setup. It never occurred to me as a problem (vs.
welded), as that rail one very stiff, durable and problem free.

FishFan

(L. Sikorski) wrote in message . com...
After looking at several new Grady-White boats, I noticed they do not
have welded bow rails. Instead, they have allen screws. I thought
all top-quality boats only used welded bow rails?

I also saw plastic thru-hulls on several new Pursuit boats.

I have an 89 Grady and I have to say I like it, but it ain't perfect.
For starters it has (had) plastic thru-hulls. I replaced that first
one after busting it while trying to free the stuck sea-cock after
fixing the burned up live-well/washdown pump - Luckily it was spring
and the boat was on the trailer. The horn failed. I had to replace my
poorly mounted bow eye. The Hardtop has a 10" long crack. The factory
bow pulpit has a crack and the hull gelcoat is spider cracking in that
area. The fish box lids which are glassed wood, are getting spongy.
The fuel tanks have some surface corrosion and probably will need
replacing soon.

My bow rail has setscrew stanchions, but unlike my Dad's 89 Bayliner,
none of them have cracked. But also unlike my dad's 89 Bayliner, my 89
Grady has plenty of exposed wood in the bilge that's going to need
replacing someday.

All of these issues w/ Grady's are well documented here and other
places and none of them are serious problems not found on other boats.
Fixing them is all part of the normal maintenance routine on a 15 year
old boat, although I would have expected the Grady to have less
problems then the Bayliner.

Oh well, at least I have better resale value.

FishFan
CaptMP

FishFan wrote: ".... All of these issues w/ Grady's are well documented here
and other places and none of them are serious problems not found on other
boats. Fixing them is all part of the normal maintenance routine on a 15 year
old boat, although I would have expected the Grady to have less problems then
the Bayliner.
Oh well, at least I have better resale value."

While you may in fact be able to ask more for your '89 Grady than your Dads '89
Bayliner, you must remember that you probably paid better than twice the money
for the Grady in the first place.
I'll bet you two have had fun though the years but I wonder if the Grady
supplied that much more enjoyment.
Best wishes
Mike
'99 2052
FishFan

(CaptMP) wrote in message ...
FishFan wrote: ".... All of these issues w/ Grady's are well documented here
and other places and none of them are serious problems not found on other
boats. Fixing them is all part of the normal maintenance routine on a 15 year
old boat, although I would have expected the Grady to have less problems then
the Bayliner.
Oh well, at least I have better resale value."

While you may in fact be able to ask more for your '89 Grady than your Dads '89
Bayliner, you must remember that you probably paid better than twice the money
for the Grady in the first place.
I'll bet you two have had fun though the years but I wonder if the Grady
supplied that much more enjoyment.
Best wishes
Mike
'99 2052

Mike,

You're right. I don't think they're worth the extra $$ new. I was at
the Atlantic City Boat Show this weekend and you pay a 25% premium, at
least, for a Grady over a HydraSport, Pro-Line, or Aquasport, for
example.

I bought mine used and only splurged for the Grady because a) I found
one in decent shape at a bargain price; and b) My wife insisted on a
full transom, and after going out on a friend's Grady 24, and
listening to my friends wife rave about how "solid and safe they are",
my wife made it clear that she liked the Grady, the 24 not the 20-22
range I was looking at, and would be willing to pay a little more for
one.

FishFan
CaptMP

FishFan, you have a wonderful wife! Mine agreed to my purchasing a new boat in
1999 but said "IF YOU BUY THAT BOAT YOU CAN'T RETIRE". Well here it is 2004,
I'm still happily married, my Bayliner 2052 (named "CAN'T RETIRE") is still
doing all I could want.............
and I'm STILL working for the local phone company. After 34 years. 34 long
years....wish I could retire....!
Best wishes and good fishing!
Mike

FishFan wrote"....My wife insisted on a
full transom, and after going out on a friend's Grady 24, and listening to my

friends wife rave about how "solid and safe they are", my wife made it clear
that she liked the Grady, the 24 not the 20-22 range I was looking at, and
would be willing to pay a little more for one.
I said "If that's what you want dear, thats what I'll buy you" :-)

FishFan

Grady White, used, a good buy? John H General 6 January 27th 04 05:26 PM
Grady White or Parker Fred Miller General 1 December 19th 03 04:59 PM
Repower Grady White Brillo General 13 October 28th 03 06:35 PM
OT White House information leak basskisser General 4 October 8th 03 12:09 PM