John H

Default Grady White, used, a good buy?

Here is a chance for some of you Grady owners to share some knowledge.
The Washington Post had this ad in Saturday's edition:

Grady White 232 Gulfstream '00 -- Yamaha 225 EFI, excl cond. $49900.

The boat has no electronics, except a Lowrance fishfinder, and has
about 300 hours on the engine. It also has a hardtop. Does that sound
like a good buy?

Thanks for all replies, that are pertinent!

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
NOYB

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

I don't know what to use as a standard. Good quality boat. High
price, but then Grady is too expensive anyway. Engine sounds like it
could have a lot of time ahead of it, but the boat IMHO, is
significantly underpowered.

I tend to agree with Gene on this. I had a 1991 Gulfstream with a 1995
Yamaha 225, and no Hardtop, and I was always wishing for more oomph. The
boat tended to plane a little bit slowly for my tastes, but top end was
around 38-40mph. The boat you're looking at has the added weight and drag
of the hardtop, which should slow things down...but has a *fuel-injected*
225 Yammie (vs. my old carbed model). That may make the extra weight
somewhat negligible. It also has a different hull design than my 1991
(which is a good thing since the pre-1992 hull was wet and hard-riding). I
suspect that the new hull design is more efficient than the pre-1992 hulls,
too. The only way to know for sure is if you take along a handheld GPS and
sea trial the boat. Make sure you bring a couple of your overweight buddies
with you on the sea trial to recreate real-world running.

As for the price...
Sounds pretty high to me. Dealers down here usually ask NADA value plus
10-15% for a Grady in very good condition. Gene says NADA is $33k. Add $6
or 7k for the motor, another $2-3 for the hardtop, and a 15% spiff on top,
and you get the guys' asking price of $49k, however. Still, I'd hit him
around $40k if it's a nice boat andyou feel that it's not underpowered.

FishFan

"NOYB" wrote in message link.net...
[...]

I heard the same knocks about the 23's with single O/B when I was
shopping and I believe 'em. I have a 24 which is narrower and lighter
and it does fine on a single - jumps on plane and tops out at about 40
MPH with a tired 89 carbed Johnson and all the options (aux fuel tank,
hard top, pulpit, tabs, washdown, curtains, etc) - most 24's are
singles, but alot of 23 have twins for a reason. The price isn't bad
for a 4 year old 23 that probably went for 70K new, assuming you can
live with the power issue. Definitley take it for a ride with a full
tank of gas, some wind/chop, and a few freinds. If its Ok make 'em a
low ball offer, after all it is January. If not, check out some 24's.
I've only been on a 23 w/ twins, but in some ways the 24 has more
usable fishing room then the 23 and it rides nicer with the narrower
beam.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide!!

FishFan
John H

On 26 Jan 2004 16:39:37 -0800, (FishFan) wrote:

[...]

Based on what you guys have said and what I've read, I think I'll
stick with my little Proline another year or so.

Thanks for all your input. It's appreciated.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
NOYB

"FishFan" wrote in message
om...
"NOYB" wrote in message

link.net...
[...]

Having owned the 23, I'd look at getting a 24 instead. The 23 has a 9'3"
beam...which is great if your boat is 28 feet long...but too wide if your
boat is only 23'. Ideally, you'd like a 3 to 1 length to beam ratio for a
smoother ride.

John H

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 02:13:25 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"FishFan" wrote in message
. com...
"NOYB" wrote in message

hlink.net...
[...]

Oh hell, I can't get one now anyway. Thanks for all the input though.
Maybe next year I'll get serious about another boat.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
NOYB

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 02:13:25 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Having owned the 23, I'd look at getting a 24 instead. The 23 has a 9'3"
beam...which is great if your boat is 28 feet long...but too wide if your
boat is only 23'. Ideally, you'd like a 3 to 1 length to beam ratio for

smoother ride.

Your math approaches the level of Clintonesque "fuzzy math"...
because it is predicated on the notion that boat manufacturers play
fair and label their boats for what they are.

For example, my boat *says* it is a 23' boat, but is really nearly the
length of a new 27'. My boat could be bought with an inboard and no
bow pulpit... and then probably was an honest 23'. However, adding
the engine bracket and bow pulpit makes the boat considerably
longer.... and the bracket does influence overall waterline length.

What matters is the "footprint" that the boat makes in the water. How much
of the bottom surface is touching water while underway? Ideally, you'd like
a 3 to 1 length to beam ratio touching the water. A 23' Gulfstream has
nearly every bit of that 9'3" beam touching the water while at cruise.
However, approximately only 23' of length is touching the water at cruise.

New boats have molded-in brackets and bow pulpits and may be figured
in as "boat length"... thereby affecting the LWL.

Bow pulpits don't count, and brackets have a negligible effect at any speed
above planing. Sure, they'll knock the bow of that wide-beamed boat back
into the water as you begin to climb the face of the wave. However,
pre-1992 Gulfstream's don't have a very sharp forward entry deadrise. It's
simple geometry. If your beam is wider, then the deadrise will be less or
the boat will have a much deeper draft.

There is a newer G-W
272 slipped next to my boat (an old 232G) and I am less that 2 feet
shorter in the slip.

The measurements on the newer boats are misleading. They're beginning to
count the molded in transom in overall length.

Even if the LWL:beam were accurately discernable from manufacturer
naming conventions, none of the boats thus far discussed will have a
true 3:1 LWL to beam, including (any of) the 24 foot models.

No kidding. That's why Grady's aren't known as soft-riding boats.

Nominally, the best you can hope to achieve is the old 242G offshore
which was 24' X 8'-3".... the modern Voyager was increased to 8'-6".
Even with the older model you have to contend with the fact that a lot
of those boats had a cut down transom, no bracket, and IMHO, were not
suitable for rough water.

Want a go-fast semi-fisherman? Get a Whaler.....

Nawwww. Get a Contender, Jupiter, Sea Vee, Intrepid, Yellowfin, Bluefin,
etc. Whaler's are known for being extremely seaworthy and unsinkable.
Although they *can* go-fast, that's not their primary purpose.