NOYB

Default Grady White, used, a good buy?

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 02:13:25 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Having owned the 23, I'd look at getting a 24 instead. The 23 has a 9'3"
beam...which is great if your boat is 28 feet long...but too wide if your
boat is only 23'. Ideally, you'd like a 3 to 1 length to beam ratio for

smoother ride.

Your math approaches the level of Clintonesque "fuzzy math"...
because it is predicated on the notion that boat manufacturers play
fair and label their boats for what they are.

For example, my boat *says* it is a 23' boat, but is really nearly the
length of a new 27'. My boat could be bought with an inboard and no
bow pulpit... and then probably was an honest 23'. However, adding
the engine bracket and bow pulpit makes the boat considerably
longer.... and the bracket does influence overall waterline length.

What matters is the "footprint" that the boat makes in the water. How much
of the bottom surface is touching water while underway? Ideally, you'd like
a 3 to 1 length to beam ratio touching the water. A 23' Gulfstream has
nearly every bit of that 9'3" beam touching the water while at cruise.
However, approximately only 23' of length is touching the water at cruise.

New boats have molded-in brackets and bow pulpits and may be figured
in as "boat length"... thereby affecting the LWL.

Bow pulpits don't count, and brackets have a negligible effect at any speed
above planing. Sure, they'll knock the bow of that wide-beamed boat back
into the water as you begin to climb the face of the wave. However,
pre-1992 Gulfstream's don't have a very sharp forward entry deadrise. It's
simple geometry. If your beam is wider, then the deadrise will be less or
the boat will have a much deeper draft.

There is a newer G-W
272 slipped next to my boat (an old 232G) and I am less that 2 feet
shorter in the slip.

The measurements on the newer boats are misleading. They're beginning to
count the molded in transom in overall length.

Even if the LWL:beam were accurately discernable from manufacturer
naming conventions, none of the boats thus far discussed will have a
true 3:1 LWL to beam, including (any of) the 24 foot models.

No kidding. That's why Grady's aren't known as soft-riding boats.

Nominally, the best you can hope to achieve is the old 242G offshore
which was 24' X 8'-3".... the modern Voyager was increased to 8'-6".
Even with the older model you have to contend with the fact that a lot
of those boats had a cut down transom, no bracket, and IMHO, were not
suitable for rough water.

Want a go-fast semi-fisherman? Get a Whaler.....

Nawwww. Get a Contender, Jupiter, Sea Vee, Intrepid, Yellowfin, Bluefin,
etc. Whaler's are known for being extremely seaworthy and unsinkable.
Although they *can* go-fast, that's not their primary purpose.