John H

Default Grady White, used, a good buy?

On 26 Jan 2004 16:39:37 -0800, (FishFan) wrote:

"NOYB" wrote in message link.net...
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

I don't know what to use as a standard. Good quality boat. High
price, but then Grady is too expensive anyway. Engine sounds like it
could have a lot of time ahead of it, but the boat IMHO, is
significantly underpowered.

I tend to agree with Gene on this. I had a 1991 Gulfstream with a 1995
Yamaha 225, and no Hardtop, and I was always wishing for more oomph. The
boat tended to plane a little bit slowly for my tastes, but top end was
around 38-40mph. The boat you're looking at has the added weight and drag
of the hardtop, which should slow things down...but has a *fuel-injected*
225 Yammie (vs. my old carbed model). That may make the extra weight
somewhat negligible. It also has a different hull design than my 1991
(which is a good thing since the pre-1992 hull was wet and hard-riding). I
suspect that the new hull design is more efficient than the pre-1992 hulls,
too. The only way to know for sure is if you take along a handheld GPS and
sea trial the boat. Make sure you bring a couple of your overweight buddies
with you on the sea trial to recreate real-world running.

As for the price...
Sounds pretty high to me. Dealers down here usually ask NADA value plus
10-15% for a Grady in very good condition. Gene says NADA is $33k. Add $6
or 7k for the motor, another $2-3 for the hardtop, and a 15% spiff on top,
and you get the guys' asking price of $49k, however. Still, I'd hit him
around $40k if it's a nice boat andyou feel that it's not underpowered.

I heard the same knocks about the 23's with single O/B when I was
shopping and I believe 'em. I have a 24 which is narrower and lighter
and it does fine on a single - jumps on plane and tops out at about 40
MPH with a tired 89 carbed Johnson and all the options (aux fuel tank,
hard top, pulpit, tabs, washdown, curtains, etc) - most 24's are
singles, but alot of 23 have twins for a reason. The price isn't bad
for a 4 year old 23 that probably went for 70K new, assuming you can
live with the power issue. Definitley take it for a ride with a full
tank of gas, some wind/chop, and a few freinds. If its Ok make 'em a
low ball offer, after all it is January. If not, check out some 24's.
I've only been on a 23 w/ twins, but in some ways the 24 has more
usable fishing room then the 23 and it rides nicer with the narrower
beam.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide!!

FishFan

Based on what you guys have said and what I've read, I think I'll
stick with my little Proline another year or so.

Thanks for all your input. It's appreciated.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!