NOYB

Default Grady White, used, a good buy?

"FishFan" wrote in message
om...
"NOYB" wrote in message

link.net...
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

I don't know what to use as a standard. Good quality boat. High
price, but then Grady is too expensive anyway. Engine sounds like it
could have a lot of time ahead of it, but the boat IMHO, is
significantly underpowered.

I tend to agree with Gene on this. I had a 1991 Gulfstream with a 1995
Yamaha 225, and no Hardtop, and I was always wishing for more oomph.

The
boat tended to plane a little bit slowly for my tastes, but top end was
around 38-40mph. The boat you're looking at has the added weight and

drag
of the hardtop, which should slow things down...but has a

*fuel-injected*
225 Yammie (vs. my old carbed model). That may make the extra weight
somewhat negligible. It also has a different hull design than my 1991
(which is a good thing since the pre-1992 hull was wet and hard-riding).

suspect that the new hull design is more efficient than the pre-1992

hulls,
too. The only way to know for sure is if you take along a handheld GPS

and
sea trial the boat. Make sure you bring a couple of your overweight

buddies
with you on the sea trial to recreate real-world running.

As for the price...
Sounds pretty high to me. Dealers down here usually ask NADA value plus
10-15% for a Grady in very good condition. Gene says NADA is $33k. Add

$6
or 7k for the motor, another $2-3 for the hardtop, and a 15% spiff on

top,
and you get the guys' asking price of $49k, however. Still, I'd hit him
around $40k if it's a nice boat andyou feel that it's not underpowered.

I heard the same knocks about the 23's with single O/B when I was
shopping and I believe 'em. I have a 24 which is narrower and lighter
and it does fine on a single - jumps on plane and tops out at about 40
MPH with a tired 89 carbed Johnson and all the options (aux fuel tank,
hard top, pulpit, tabs, washdown, curtains, etc) - most 24's are
singles, but alot of 23 have twins for a reason. The price isn't bad
for a 4 year old 23 that probably went for 70K new, assuming you can
live with the power issue. Definitley take it for a ride with a full
tank of gas, some wind/chop, and a few freinds. If its Ok make 'em a
low ball offer, after all it is January. If not, check out some 24's.
I've only been on a 23 w/ twins, but in some ways the 24 has more
usable fishing room then the 23 and it rides nicer with the narrower
beam.

Having owned the 23, I'd look at getting a 24 instead. The 23 has a 9'3"
beam...which is great if your boat is 28 feet long...but too wide if your
boat is only 23'. Ideally, you'd like a 3 to 1 length to beam ratio for a
smoother ride.