JML

Default Buying used tips: 2001 Sea Ray BR 185

On 8/1/03 3:14 PM, in article , "DSK"
wrote:

Gould 0738 wrote:

What most people miss about Pascoe's site is that it isn't intended to be
fully
factual. I'd have to check to see if it still reads this way, but for years
the
introduction to his section on various boat brands contained a statement that
David thought it was his mission to be unrealistically harsh on boats. He
felt
it important to offset what he believes are the often too-rosy write ups in
the
mainstream marine press. Apparent philosophy: "Since 'Power and Stinkpot'
said
this was a pretty good boat and I can find a few shortcomings, I better say
it's a real POS so people will investigate it more thoroughly."

I guess he sees the lowest common denominator, but he also seems to believe
that
anybody buying a boat must be a moron... or maybe it's that he thinks anybody
who
is buying a boat, and asks *his* opinion, must be a moron....

In one way, I can appreciate his pseudo logic because many people who are
buying
boats just plain have no clue, and skimp on inspection (just like they skimp
on
gear & training) based on the conviction that it really can't be that bad, can
it?

Anyway, his anti-core rants are based on incomplete information. He obviously
has
no experience with epoxy or S-glass or Kevlar or carbon fiber or vacuum-bagged
cored laminates. But then relatively few motorboats are made out of these
materials, and none of the mass-produced ones are. This, and his discussion of
various engine issues, shoot his credibility right into the ground IMHO.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Pascoe is a surveyor. He recommends that anybody who is thinking about
purchasing a boat, survey that boat. Obviously, he would rather show all the
things that can go wrong when one does NOT partake in a pre-purchase survey.

Having said that . . . I can't possibly think of any reason why anybody
would skip out on a survey prior to shelling out way too much money
(Everybody spends way too much money on a boat right?) on a boat. I'm sure a
lot of people in this group have plenty of personal experiences to confirm
the importance of a pre-purchase survey. Right?