Tony Thomas

Default Buying an Outboard Online or Mail Order

Each engine is run at the factory. In theory the fuel is then run out of
the carbs but sometimes it is not completely run dry. Seen a number of them
that would not run out of the box. Tear down a carb and find crud.
This was true of OMC and Merc products. OMC was worse.

Tony

"Nautically Obsessed" wrote in message
m...
Thanks for all the great replies! This was my situation:

I wanted to buy a Nissan outboard. I talked to the dealer closest to
me and he didn't sound too friendly. I checked with the Better
Business Bureau, and there were a number of unresolved complaints
against this outfit, so I ruled them out.

Then I called another dealer farther away in a MA which has a sales
tax. I really didn't want to pay a sales tax since NH doesn't have
any. But the price he quoted me was resonable so I figured the extra
$60.00 would be worth it. When I was ready to buy, about a month
after talking to him, he jacked up the price another $200+. When I
asked how the price could have increased so much in less than a month,
he said the original price he quoted was a "special" deal and it was
no longer valid because we are in the "season". So I said, "Thanks,
but no thanks."

Then I contacted ITG Marine and the price they quoted me was a little
less than that last dealer's original price, and that includes $45.00
for shipping. I checked directly with Nissan and they said ITG is an
authorized dealer and the warranty was perfectly valid. I ordered the
motor and it was shipped directly from the Nissan distributor; it
arrived in less than a week.

It runs fine. One person pointed out that an engine ordered online may
been sitting around for a while and have gummed up carbs. That's
nonsense. The engine is fresh from the factory. Besides, how can the
carbs be gummed up if the engine was never used in the first place????

All in all, I would do it again. I am a little worried about dealing
with a repair shop if I do have problems, but I think the savings make
it worth it.

By the way, for a 2 stroke, it's a smooth, quiet engine. I've very
pleased with it.

Regards,
DD

reg (Gfretwell) wrote in message

I bought my 60hp 4 stroke Merc from ITG Marine and it worked out fine. I

saved
about $600. The engine came motor freight, dropped at my door. It was

the
factory sealed carton and less than a month from the date of

manufacture. I
rigged it myself and took it to the local dealer for the 100 hour

checkup a
little early. After they got in my pants for a few hundred bucks we all

kissed
and made up.
They are REQUIRED to honor your warranty, if they want to keep their

dealer
franchise. If you have problems contact the manufacturer and keep the

state
consumer authorities informed of your progress.
I am not quite sure what the other poster means about "dealer prep". The

Merc
came with all of the fluids in it and it was ready to go. Take some of

that
money you saved and buy a shop manual from the manufacturer. The rigging
instructions are in there. Just don't skip anything.
BTW the difference between the price you pay locally and what you get

online
seems to be the difference between a "motor in a box" and a motor sold

with a
boat. (based on what the dealers told me)
Manufacturers offer a discount when you buy a package. I suspect dealers

who
sell bare boats say there was a motor on it and then deal off the motor.

Gfretwell

Each engine is run at the factory. In theory the fuel is then run out of
the carbs but sometimes it is not completely run dry.

What's a "carb"?
That must be some old 20th century technology. ;-)
Butch Ammon

Each engine is run at the factory. In theory the fuel is then run out of
the carbs but sometimes it is not completely run dry.

What's a "carb"?
That must be some old 20th century technology. ;-)

Now, now, now... My 165hp Mercruiser I/O has a Rochester carb, and still has
the good ol' point, condensor, and rotor. You remember points, don't you? :-)

Butch Ammon
Grumman-581

"Butch Ammon" wrote ...
Now, now, now... My 165hp Mercruiser I/O has a Rochester carb, and still

has
the good ol' point, condensor, and rotor. You remember points, don't you?

:-)

Remember magnetos? I've still got 'em...