RGrew176

Default Registered Boats: Top 20 states as of 2001

There were 12.9 million recreational boats registered in the U.S. in 2001
according to the U.S. Coast Guard. The top 20 states a

1. Michigan 1,003,947
2. California 957,463
3. Florida 902,964
4. Minnesota 826,048
5. Texas 621,244
6. Wisconsin 575,920
7. New York 526,190
8. Ohio 414,658
9. South Carolina 382,072
10. Illinois 369,626
11. Pennsylvania 359,925
12. North Carolina 353,560
13. Missouri 335,521
14. Georgia 327,026
15. Louisiana 322,779
16. Mississippi 300,970
17. Alabama 262,016
18. Washington 260,335
19. Tennessee 256,670
20. Virginia 240,509

Living in Michigan I am inclined to believe the numbers here. If you have ever
been on Lake St. Clair on a weekend it is crawling with boats. Sometimes I
think all million of them are out there on that lake it can be so crowded at
times.

The only time the world beats a path to your door is if you're in the
bathroom.

Steve

Interesting. Now, ranking per capita:

1 (4) Minnesota (5.96)
2 (6) Wisconsin (9.31)
3 (16) Mississippi (9.45)
4 (9) South Carolina (10.5)
5 (15) Louisiana (13.85)
6 (13) Missouri (16.68)
7 (17) Alabama (16.97)
8 (3) Florida (17.70)
9 (19) Tennessee (22.17)
10 (18) Washington (22.64)
11 (12) North Carolina (22.77)
12 (14) Georgia (25.03)
13 (8) Ohio (27.38)
14 (20) Virginia (29.43)
15 (5) Texas (33.56)
16 (10) Illinois (33.60)
17 (11) Pennsylvania (34.12)
18 (2) California (35.38)
19 (7) New York (36.06)
20 (1) Michigan (98.45)

Parenthesis is original ranking.

Note: Other states may qualify for this list based or per capita
ranking.

About 8 years ago, I read that Washington had the highest boats per capita.
No way to verify that now..

However, another critical factor here is the number of boats per 'area' of
recreational water... Here in WA. the boats would be spread pretty thin
even with a high boat per capita ranking..

Also, here in western WA. there seems to be a public launch ramp with in a
few miles of most boaters. This tends to spread out the boat concentration.

Of course small, day use, annoying craft will tend to concentrate in a
couple mile radius of the launch ramps, no matter what part of the country
your in. We should be greatful the these inexperienced and dangerous
operators don't find their way to the quiet back waters. I'm presently
anchored about 500 yard from a public ramp and I see a dozen boats returning
to the ramp well after dark without running lights and some don't even have
a flashlight. Several times I have had to use my spot light to help direct
them to the ramp dock. (ask them "why no running lights?". Big Dah! "donn
know. Something seems to be wrong with them".

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Illinois Fisherman

The Chain O'Lakes in Northern Illinois accounts for 27,000 registered
boaters.
That's about 14% of all the registered boats in Illinois concentrated in
4720 Acres of water.
For which about 25% is too shallow for most boats. Makes for tuff going on a
weekend.

"RGrew176" wrote in message
[...]

Johnny

It Still doesn't change the fact that there are 1,003,947 Boats registered.
St. Clair Shores, Michigan (Lake St.Clair) is the Boating Capital!
"ClassicBoat" wrote in message
On 22 Jul 2003 07:25:24 GMT, (RGrew176) wrote:

[...]

ranking. I just used the states that were listed in the original
post.